• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-18]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
EVA! Okay, now that we've got that one covered, move along.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering the writing question myself. I still have a ways to go when it comes to writing anime reviews though. My scrap of legitimacy is very tiny at best.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't help but chuckle at this week's Flake of the Week, and its response. Laughing

As for comedies, I really don't have any general preference as to which one is better. As long as it makes me laugh, then it has done its job.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be a long 7 months.
Cardcaptor Usagi Doremi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Even though I've been an anime fan since I was 8, I have to say I think my sense of humor is still much more American. A lot of clever Japanese jokes have to do with culture puns and references that, even if I understand them, would not be an funny to me as American references that I can relate to more. I can't think of an anime that has made me laugh out loud nearly as much as some episodes of The Daily Show/Family Guy, or as wonderfully shocked as South Park.

Most disappointing ending....? Well, I can't think of a glaringly obvious one - the only show that sticks out in my mind is Venus Versus Virus, which was a mediocre anime from the beginning.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so any minute now we can expect to see Ice of Love featuring 20 skanks all vying for the affection of Robert "Vanilla Ice" Van Winkle.

He ain't single yet there Answerman....
C0DE Tokyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Hi Zac, I just wanted to point out that "Asnwerman" is misspelled in this week's Answerman wrap-up.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
This is only slightly related, but worth a note--one time while watching Cromartie High School, my Dad suddenly said "I think this is my favorite anime!" Considering that he normally won't sit down and watch anything anime that I'm watching, this probably shows how well Cromartie High School's humor translates to an American audience.

Also, that being said, I personally find Family Guy too crude for my liking. There's plenty of American shows I find laugh-out-loud funny, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
EVA! Okay, now that we've got that one covered, move along.
What he said, and I'll raise ya EoE as well. Second worst ever ending for me has to be "Vision of Escaflowné".
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm ready to read most of the entries saying "_____, because it didn't finish and I had to read the manga for the rest of the plot."

Come to think of it, I've never had an anime with an ending I didn't like. I may have wanted a bit more closure on the characters (like Last Exile for instance, where I had to go to the final DVD case for closure), but I never had an anime where I disliked the ending, manga continuation endings excluded.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
The general rule is, the source material is usually better developed than the adaptation for animation. Of course, that's because adaptations are just that - someone's vision of somebody else's material. There are, however, cases in which it works well, even if elements change - no, perhaps because there are changed elements. As long as it remains faithful in spirit, there's no reason to nitpick the specifics. Fullmetal Alchemist is a good example of this.

When there's a manga based on an animated program, it's always a bit awkward. I've read some Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne manga, and it just doesn't suit my tastes.

Zac wrote:
However, we do accept sample reviews. If you'd like to take a shot at becoming an ANN critic, you can email me with your sample reviews and put your name in the hat.

And apparently, it's a very big, very full hat. I'd like to see what it looks like. I like to think that it's velvet-lined.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:23 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
I can understand and accept endings that have to be ambiguous because of an on going manga, but not a series, or movie where that isn't the case, but it still is just as ambiguous. I find it intreguing that a nation with a reputation of being so sexually liberal, can sometimes have such sexually frustrated, and neurotic endings between couples so obviously in love. Rolling Eyes
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
I went into Air and kanon thinking it was going to be horrible. I loved air (still need the last disc) and Kanon is pretty good too! I was surprised.

LOL @ the flake response. I can't imagene that comig from Zac's mouth. Not that i've heard his voice...

Endings...

Tokko
spoiler[Nothing resolved. Nothing truly explained. zombie monsters, killing, fighting, more monsters, killing, death, blood, boobs, death. It's an earthquake! END. ] Good thing it was $12.50 in that sale. And it had such an awesome opening song.

and

Spiral
I wasn't into the fansubs before this, but I started taking a look after. I bought the show based on the preview/review, and I was horribly let down. $115 gone down the drain.
The ending commentary from the english va's almost made up for it though.
"Everyone wears a turtle neck in this show..."

These are the only two coming to mind now. i'll edit if i think of more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
Wow...I was really disappointed with the responses to the Animefans section. I'll admit that I totally expected it, but I was surprised at how many of the published ones were "only anime is good."

Well...this is an anime site, but still.

Charles Castleberry was the only one response that saved it for me. They are two very different audiences, and each appeal to their own in their own way. Even one of the most hardcore okatus will still miss a large number of the jokes simply due to cultural and language differences. Anyone that claims they caught every joke in Pani Poni Dash for example...is lying.

But this was the one that really got me:
Quote:
Sadly, Western cartoons (and I confess I watch very little these days, as I find most of them incomprehensible) still seem to be stuck in a variation of gross-out humour, prat-falls, or lowest common denominator guffaws.

Invalidating your statement by saying you don't watch a lot of them is a bad way to start, but let's ignore that.

"variation of gross-out humour, prat-falls, or lowest common denominator guffaws." - Replace "variation of gross-out humour" with 'obscure anime reference' (aka niche pop culture reference), 'lame puns' or even, 'exposed, animated female anatomy' and look at that! You've got anime comedy!

Comedy is comedy. It's hard to write, and focused towards your specific audience, but it's pretty much the same. You see a lot of the same elements worldwide because they work.

I've been watching anime for about a decade, so I can catch a good number of the anime references (which means about 60% of Pani Poni Dash, with notes) but I can't say I've ever laughed as hard at anime as I have at American comedies. I nearly suffocated from laughing so hard at one episode of South Park...good times.

I was just surprised at the percentage of responses claiming anime was better without comparing some North American humor (admit it, Canadian's have good humor too), pointing out that the audience matters, or in general admitting they don't watch American comedies while still blindly stating anime was better.

Then again, as I pointed out already...this is a gathering of anime fandom and anime journalism site.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
What's with the second Hey! Answerfans, isn't it answering last week's question or something...

I found FMA's ending dissapointing myself, it kinda lacked closure, I also didn't like how The Girl Who Leapt Through Time ended, the first 2/3 or so was great, but then it goes all weird with spoiler[her friend being a time traveller] and it just doesn't feel as solid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4