• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see this movie. I hear it's a pretentious piece of garbage from most people, but I'll watch it anyway. Now that I know it's getting re-released with an English dub I think I'll wait for that instead of getting Dreamworks version, which I hear had crappy subtitles.
sixtopia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes!

I have been waiting for a dub version of this! I can now only hope they go back and redo the original film as well.

And hopefully this is the reason why Ocean was used for the dubs of the compilation files. I was thinking maybe they used Ocean because the original cast was getting too expensive. But this new dub opens up the possibility that the main cast was just busy with this instead.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo! I'm incredibly happy to hear this! Now I won't have to buy a U.K. copy of the movie just to get a damn dub track!

And Veoryn, while the general storyline leaves a lot to be desired, the animation and backgrounds and...well, pretty much anything art-related are breathtaking. It's worth sitting through all the quoting for the eye candy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eviltimes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the R2 UK dub for a long time now. It's the same cast as SAC. As to both R1 Japanese with English subs and the UK R2... I don't know. It's like two different movies. Now this new release is supposed to be a new dub? That's 3 different versions (minimum) to collect. There's only so much shelf space around here. But Blu Ray will really show off the intense animations.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this subbed, I've seen this with the UK dub. I thought it was terrible both times. I guess its good news for those who are fans though.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
i got the sub one and watched it many times man the movie is awsome
Kyouki-Kamikawa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I watched it in theaters and loved it..series DUB will be win
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I have yet to see this movie. I hear it's a pretentious piece of garbage from most people, but I'll watch it anyway. Now that I know it's getting re-released with an English dub I think I'll wait for that instead of getting Dreamworks version, which I hear had crappy subtitles.

It is pretentious, but so is the rest of Ghost in the Shell's iterations. However, it's pretentious in a good way and it takes sci-fi in a more honest and somewhat more believable route and injects a lot of real-world problems...I have found little to wrong about the entire franchise (albeit the games do suck badly Razz).
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
DarkCntry wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

It is pretentious, but so is the rest of Ghost in the Shell's iterations. However, it's pretentious in a good way and it takes sci-fi in a more honest and somewhat more believable route and injects a lot of real-world problems...I have found little to wrong about the entire franchise (albeit the games do suck badly Razz).

Well that's good I suppose. I never actually considered the whole franchise to be that deep, but I still consider it high quality.
joetron2030

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I hear it's a pretentious piece of garbage from most people, but I'll watch it anyway.

I guess if mixing in a seemingly healthy dose of philosophizing makes the movie "pretentious", then I guess it is. But, really, the first movie had its own pretentious moments, too. And that's what really drew me to GitS in the first place. IMO, it's only the SAC series that have skimped on that part of it. Probably because Oshii isn't involved in them (as far as I recall).

As for this re-release. If the only difference is a new dub track, I'll skip it. I already have the original Dreamworks release. I can't speak a lick of Japanese so AFAIK, the subtitling was good enough.

Otherwise, from the moment I saw it in the theater, I was hooked. It is gorgeous to look at. From beginning to end. I bet it will look even better in HD.

Last edited by joetron2030 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Well this makes me very very happy. It is one anime that will unquestionably improve the viewing experience with a dub!

Thank you Bandai!!!

Guess this is another one I will have two of. Very Happy Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HOPLITE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the finest films ever produced and it is sublime and a multiple layered philosophical treatise on what does it mean to be human .
It can only be truly appreciated by the cognscenti . . .
MsCongeniality

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I'd re-buy it just to get a decent subtitle track. I still have one with nothing but a closed captioning track and I tend to find those annoying after a while.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
It appears Banday Entertainment has one the game. I've been meaning to buy this film, even though I have heard it was horrible, simply for the sake of getting another piece of the GitS franchise. The Blu-Ray release and new dub are certainly promising aspects as well. I'm not sure that I'm keen on enjoying this though, the series are IMO far superior to the first film and from what I've heard of the second, the series still prevails.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
People who call GITS pretentious don't know anything about real sci-fi, and probably take those Star Wars prequels seriously. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5