• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
International Retailers(Outside USA)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legendfunk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
I never shop online, so I'm looking for decent places to buy in real life. Every big store I know sells anime, but it's no surprise: Pokemon, DBZ, Naruto, and about one season of them. Funny though, about 80% of stores I've been to always sell one different anime, but it's always Air, Kiddy Grade or Noir. Okay, maybe I mean decent anime.

As far as I know, Kinokuniya also sells anime in every store. There are branches in Taiwan, Malaysia, and one in Australia. But they're always friggin expensive there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:
As far as I know, Kinokuniya also sells anime in every store. There are branches in Taiwan, Malaysia, and one in Australia. But they're always friggin expensive there.

Kinokuniya is very expensive, but (at least here) usually carries a pretty good selection. One reason you are probably not getting a great response to your question is that most of us are in North America and have no idea about the B&M retail situation in Australia.

It's a bit slow over there, but you could post your question in the ANN Australia forum and maybe have a better chance of someone from Australia seeing the question. I browsed through a few threads over there and JB Hi-Fi keeps coming up as a possibility. I know that here in the states most major electronics retailers carry some anime, though selection is often spotty. Another place I saw mentioned as being B&M is Hobby Shop Japan, but it talked about them being in Melbourne so I don't know if they have anything in Sydney.

There are also a number of links on the first page of this thread in posts by Dilandau and rin. Both are a few years old and may not be relevant anymore, but you should check them out if you have not yet.

Good luck. I wish I could be more help.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
legendfunk wrote:

Kinokuniya is very expensive, but (at least here) usually carries a pretty good selection. One reason you are probably not getting a great response to your question is that most of us are in North America and have no idea about the B&M retail situation in Australia.

It's a bit slow over there, but you could post your question in the ANN Australia forum and maybe have a better chance of someone from Australia seeing the question. I browsed through a few threads over there and JB Hi-Fi keeps coming up as a possibility. I know that here in the states most major electronics retailers carry some anime, though selection is often spotty. Another place I saw mentioned as being B&M is Hobby Shop Japan, but it talked about them being in Melbourne so I don't know if they have anything in Sydney.

There are also a number of links on the first page of this thread in posts by Dilandau and rin. Both are a few years old and may not be relevant anymore, but you should check them out if you have not yet.

Good luck. I wish I could be more help.

Thanks for the advice. Er, I'm a bit of a n00b, but what's B&M? Yeah, the majority of anime-related stuff in Australia, my friends tell me, is in Melbourne, and that includes the HQ of JB if you know what I mean. I've actually never been to Melbourne (I've travelled internationally so many times...the irony!). If you've looked at a map of Australia and see the distance it pretty much explains it... oh well.

The problem with finding anime in Australian stores not named JB is that Madman Entertainment has virtually monopolised the anime distribution market over here, so whatever they don't dub, doesn't exist. JB does have pretty much every anime that Madman sells, but there are many popular ones that Madman doesn't cover (I've been waiting for a release of FF7 Advent Children, seeing half of my otaku friends who bought it online and the other half being scammed while trying to buy it from the same site . . . yawn).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:
but what's B&M?

Oops, sorry. B&M = Brick and mortar, a store in the real world as opposed to online.

Quote:
The problem with finding anime in Australian stores not named JB is that Madman Entertainment has virtually monopolised the anime distribution market over here, so whatever they don't dub, doesn't exist.

I think that sums up your challenge. In order to find the things it sounds like you want you would have to find a store that is importing stuff from the US or Canada where it has been released in English. That's not going to be a mainline retailer, so you'd have to find a specialty shop and then the odds of them actually importing R1 discs, which most people aren't going to want because of the region coding hassles, are still going to be slim. It's even less likely they will have exactly what you want, even if you could find a store that actually carries import stuff.

That problem leads you back to the internet, but since you don't want to go that route I think it's going to be difficult for you to find what you are looking for.

The only other suggestion I could offer is what about mail order or phone ordering from a reputable US anime retailer? RightStuf, for example puts out a printed catalog that you could probably get from them and use to place your order instead of using their website. I'm not sure how complicated a process that would be considering the international nature of the transaction, but at least you would know you are dealing with a company that's not going to rip you off and that has very responsive customer service that is just a phone call away.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
Another thing, by the way, I found that you can get really good savings if you know where. You know how some stores allow you to do a computer search of what's in sale on their database? I tried that at Kinokuniya today - they say they seel the DVD collection of Madlax for $80, then I spot it with a price tag that says "$99.95". Good one Kino, you must have mixed yourself up with JB Hi-Fi because when I looked around there they sold the Madlax collection for $75. Wrong retailer, Kino.

Still, when I went to JB today the selection was twice as big as last time, even covering things that Madman didn't use to do (or they just bought everything in pairs and bought a new shelf...I'm not sure.)

Last edited by legendfunk on Wed May 07, 2008 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I assume that the Australian retailer: http://www.tamarket.com.au has all of their prices in Australian dollars. Is that accurate? I apologize, I looked through the FAQ and bounced around the site but still couldn't seem to find that information. If everything is priced in Australian dollars I'm going to be saving quite a bit of change on a few items Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote
I don't know how long they've been going on for, or to whom they're available, but today my inbox alerted me that Amazon UK seem to have a couple of cheap deals right now. Nothing amazing, but worth a browse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
I check amazon and play's special offers every month or so to see if theres anything of interest.
I also use www.find-dvd.co.uk as a price comparison to see how special these offers are Wink
maxim75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Check Kinokuniya shop in Sydney. Their selection is quite good Very Happy
maxim75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
http://www.dvdasian.com/ is cheap and has a wide selection from Hong Kong
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
This is great!
I've been looking for a forum like this for AGES!!

Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
This is great!
I've been looking for a forum like this for AGES!!

Eh, you've been using this site for over a year and finally find out that fact? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Or you are sharing your account with more than one individuals?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
No! No! Nothing like that....
I just got a region-free DVD player for Christmas, so my interest in international DVD companies has spiked over the last few days.....I just didn't bother to look for a forum on it until today.

I don't have multiple accounts, I'm just STUPID!!! LOL!

Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
I just didn't bother to look for a forum on it until today.

I see. Methinks a more accurate and recognizable term is "thread." A forum contains multiple threads, and a thread contains multiple posts (thread opener + replies).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8