• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Flavor of Life

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Firstly, why are all the tokyopop mangas listed as 10.99? Did they go up? If so i'll be real mad. Evil or Very Mad

I've always looked at Life as a iffy type manga. I never really got into it- the back cover didn't draw me in. But after reading this review I think I'll give it at go.

S A is another manga i've picked uo several times and put down. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. But after a pretty nice grade i'll give it a go.

Suppli has been in the back of my mind for awhile. I always take the time to look at the artwork when I get to the store, but i've never bought it. I think i can finnaly have a true succesor to kimi wa pet.

Good Job as always. Now...how to get all these titles under $35...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Man, that's the 2nd and third title that have come up in this column recently that I've purchased, but am yet to read ( first NHK 6 a little while ago, and now XXXHolic 11/Suppli 2). Not to mention stuff like Outcast and Rose Hip Rose which I've got laying around...

I really need to take some time out from watching spring anime lineup.

But wait...TTGL manga? I feel my manly purchasing power increasing! Actually nah, I'll stick to the anime. Can't wait until next year.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Firstly, why are all the tokyopop mangas listed as 10.99? Did they go up? If so i'll be real mad. Evil or Very Mad

Well, I noticed it was only on Mature-rated titles that -- oh, wait

*checks pile of recent TP manga in bedroom*

Yeah, all the normal (Older Teen and below) titles are still $9.99. The $1 markup kinda caught my eye too, and it was just kinda odd that I happened to pick two M-rated TP series for the column (hmm, what does that say about my tastes Confused ). Interesting that they stealth-jacked up the price without really mentioning it ... usually TP sends out a press release everytime DJ Milky has a bowel movement or something. Razz
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
Let's also not forget the relentless forces of inflation.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Life get a good grade. It gets over the top and dramatic quite a few times and I kinda wish Keiko Suenobu would have toned down the melodrama, but I guess that's what makes it such a guilty pleasure. Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
Life has been a series I was never too sure about, because the premise seemed a bit too much like bad fan fiction, but I might check it out after seeing the good review for it here. Suppli is still on my list from when vol 1 was reviewed.

Being a person who is WAY behind reading Tsubasa (I'm on volume 5 and moving slowly through it, because it just didn't grab me like xxxHolic did, though I actually quite enjoyed the latest storyline), it definitely is very annoying to see how much crossover there's been in xxxHolic lately. I don't want to have to read both series to know what's going on! I want them to complement each other, not complete each other -_-
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
Err... You have the wrong cover up for the import of the month. That is the cover for the first volume of the GAGAGA Bunko Light Novel adaptation of the series, not the manga. Not that it really matters.

For anyone who cares the actual cover can be seen here.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
I've been very pleased with Fairy Tail so far. There's a nice bout of imagination in this title. I'm not too worried about the early volumes, as I'm sure it's going to ramp up into some kind of grand seven or eight book story arc here before too long. I don't mind getting to know the characters in some cute, albeit unnecessary arcs like the Duke Everlue one. This certainly has the makings to be one of the better shonen series on the market, so I hope it keeps it up.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
That's it. Once I get back (in two days!), I'm definitely buying Fairy Tail. There ain't no stoppin' me. Seriously, it really sounds like a fun adventure story. As long as I can keep up with the releases, then I won't mind it being too long.

Suppli is a title I've been interested in but never really got around to looking into. I'm always a sucker for a good shoujo/josei every now and then, and the art itself looks gorgeous.

Not too long ago, I had to put xxxHOLiC on hold because I didn't realize how long it was going to be, and whichever vol. was released at the time was quite a bit ahead of my volume one. So anyway, I plan on picking it up again if I can get around to it, as it had me completely interested (unlike Tsubasa). Plus, I would buy the vols. just for the cover art. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
It makes me nervous that Tokyopop has raised their prices... Sad I already buy a ton of manga and a $1.00 increase could cost me an extra $10-15 a month!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
It makes me nervous that Tokyopop has raised their prices... Sad I already buy a ton of manga and a $1.00 increase could cost me an extra $10-15 a month!

That's why I'm glad that Del Rey's release schedule seems to be slower than most; I can actually keep up with some of their titles even though they're +$2. The only problem is that I actually like most of the titles they have licensed... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
FeralKat wrote:

That's why I'm glad that Del Rey's release schedule seems to be slower than most; I can actually keep up with some of their titles even though they're +$2. The only problem is that I actually like most of the titles they have licensed... Sad

Thing is, I fid Del Rey worth the extra money. The nifty translation notes says it all. I noticed the other day that Del Rey is releasing a lot of their longer titles in the 3 to 1 book format. (Tsubasa, XXXholic, Negima) All for $20. TP has been doing the same for a few months, but their books seems to be bound quite cheaply, the Del Rey book was much more solid.

I make it a habit never to pay over $10 for a manga, but I think I may have to let TP go unless they have a sale. *sigh* Maybe I can make it to the store before they mark up the prices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Well, I noticed it was only on Mature-rated titles that -- oh, wait

*checks pile of recent TP manga in bedroom*

Yeah, all the normal (Older Teen and below) titles are still $9.99. The $1 markup kinda caught my eye too, and it was just kinda odd that I happened to pick two M-rated TP series for the column (hmm, what does that say about my tastes Confused ). Interesting that they stealth-jacked up the price without really mentioning it ... usually TP sends out a press release everytime DJ Milky has a bowel movement or something. Razz

Thank god Smile With the Kyo kara Maoh manga being released and me with no job I can't afford to spend an extra dollar on manga. Also I keep hearing good things about xxxHolic so I've been thinking of reading it. Gah, I'm so indecisive about manga Anime hyper
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Thing is, I fid Del Rey worth the extra money. The nifty translation notes says it all.

Oh, I agree. But it's not easy when you're paying for school and don't exactly have the extra money to spend for every freaking manga I want to read (which is a lot). Buying materials for my major costs just as much -- if not more -- than my tuition.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:

Well, remember I said it was only for the M-rated series, so you probably won't be spending that much more. I'm not sure Tokyopop even has 10-15 M-rated titles currently running. Life and Suppli have been mentioned, and the only other one I can think of is NHK ...

Aromatic Grass wrote:

Yeah, it's good from an economic viewpoint, but for me it means 6-month bouts of depression in between volumes of Sugar Sugar Rune and Shugo Chara Anime hyper dammit Del Rey I want my grade-school shoujo fix NAO! Here I am sitting through the double-volume launch of Fairy Tail, and it seems like there's a new Negima everytime I visit the bookstore, but the stuff I really want comes out freakin' slooooow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3