• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:1.0 Film Sells Record 219,000 DVDs in First Week

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ac!d_pan7s

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote
arrrgg! crap, forgot that this came out! cant believe it. gotta go & import mine before they run out of LE.

on the other hand, they are pretty sweet, best extra I've seen in a LE.

ac!d
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:53 am Reply with quote
Come on people, were is the US release, I am getting sick of this stuff, this is why people illegal download!!!! I want a fancy 2 disc box and film strip. It will probably be another 2 years before we ever see this movie. I am very unhappy!!
Truered

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
Come on people, were is the US release, I am getting sick of this stuff, this is why people illegal download!!!! I want a fancy 2 disc box and film strip. It will probably be another 2 years before we ever see this movie. I am very unhappy!!

And then add on another year for a stripped down UK release Laughing

Crying or Very sad
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:

My guess is that, given that it's Evangelion, they're probably asking for a lot of money for the licensing rights, and given the state of the industry in the US, no one may be willing to bite, even though the Evangelion movies should be as sure a thing as you could possibly get.

And I should also note, that downloading the movie and actually buying the DVD when it is released in the US (or UK) are not mutually exclusive.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
I swear all this " the US industry is in bad shape so we are not getting (insert title) here because no one has money to buy anything" is rather annoying, its not like every licensor is broke and in the poor house.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
That's a crazy amount, I didn't think the LE would sell so well. Shocked I'm even more curious now to see how well the RE sells next month (which the article didn't even mention). The Eva remakes are what I hope the R1 companies are fighting for (not certain Geneon titles)...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
Holy crap! I want this! Shocked
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
Truered wrote:
And then add on another year for a stripped down UK release

It's not unusual for theatrical anime movies to come out in the UK before the USA - it's TV shows and OAVs we tend to get late. In fact some of the anime movies available (or soon to be available) over here haven't been licensed in the USA at all.

I'm not sure why the UK release would necessarily be "stripped down" either. After all, it's not the UK that's only just getting around to a version of Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence that has both decent subs and an English dub.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
Wow...I guess that whole "selling sand to Arabs" thing really does work.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
A new form of associative learning is born, known as Gainaxian conditioning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:

I'm assuming you're willing to pay 5,700 yen for the special edition (~$55). If you're not, then you pay for the difference in prices with time. If assuming only copies of the regular edition sold (4,700 yen), retail sales were worth ~1,029,300,000 yen or ~$9,897,115. Of course, a large amount of the higher-priced special edition DVDs sold, so the total amount of retail sales for the first week must be higher. In any case, I doubt these films will be very cheap to license (and it is safe to say that demand for them in North America will not as high as it is in Japan, although I'm willing to be proven wrong). Evangelion is special, after all. It's likely that the films' worth at the moment may be beyond what the R1 industry is willing and able to pay.
melonbread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
$55 isn't much to ask for a special edition of a movie. It's about the same as every other special edition that's come out in the US. I'm talking about proper special editions, not just volume 1 + artbox.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Holy crap! I want this! Shocked

Cd Japan lists it as "Out of Print" so good luck finding a copy of the LE version. It's a sad thing that R1 buyers get screwed on the LE front. Crying or Very sad
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Play-Asia has them in stock, ordered ours already and awaiting it patiently. Very Happy
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 219000 units out the door in a week? That's impressive, to say the very least Shocked

Ceredonia wrote:
Play-Asia has them in stock, ordered ours already and awaiting it patiently. Very Happy

Tempted now...so, so tempted...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3