• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
Hao-sama wrote:
3.AIR: I heard that this series was awesome, but it isn't. If you love shoujo series you might like it, but it was boring, only the music was gorgeous but the rest, nothing!
Not only the soundtrak was great in this series, give credits to the quality of animation also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elisian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Hmmm..... Going from # 10-# 1.

10) Heroic Legend of Arslan- This one is kinda classic, but I really like it anyway. Always have.

9) Gundam Seed- By Seed, I mean Seed. Not Destiny. I love the characters, the story, and the music. Deffinately my fave Gundam series.

8) Strawberry Marshmallow- Cute, and fun. The characters are very lovable. This show kept me laughing.

7) Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi- I think the humor in this show is awesome. The parodies are cool. The characters are neat. I like how it gets deeper near the end, but continues to be humorous.

6) Interstella 5555- Wow! I love the animation, and I love Daft Punk. It works kind of like a silent film. The music sets the mood, and the animation tells the story. I see this one as a masterpiece.

5) Neon Genesis Evangelion- I love this show alot. I like the characters, and the art. The music is really good too. I had a hard time with this one, since I saw RahXephon first. I always thought that one was better then the two crummy episodes of Eva I had seen. Now that I have given it a chance, I fell like an idiot.

4) The Weathering Continent- This one hits my inner geek really hard. It plays out like a D&D campaign. Good fantasy setting. Really pretty art, not that that is a big surprise given the artist. I totally would play this one out with my group, if they hadn't all seen it. Sad

3) Peacemaker- I love everything about this show. I can't even narrow it down. I really just like this show.

2) Wolf's Rain- There are alot of cliche' anime out there, and I do mean alot. This is not really one of them. It has it's moments, but over all I was impressed with it's originality, and continuity.

1) .Hack//Sign- This is the only show in the .Hack line that I really liked. This title also was pretty original. I'm a big fan of goofy, formulaic shows too. Every now, and the it's nice to get into something deeper. Beautiful art, beautiful music, and a great story line keep me coming back.

I think that does it. Now 5 worst. *goes to get a shield*
From # 5-# 1

5) Howl's Moving Castle- I have seen all of the American released Miyazaki movies, except Porco Rosso. This one, and Whisper are the only two I do not like. The characters are bland, with no developement. The story is going all over without ever letting you know why. It kinda goes like....Here are some people doing "stuff", and this girl is cursed "just because", oh and here's this war over "well what does it matter, we said there's a war, so there." Can I be semi involved in the next one please?

4) Deathnote- I was suckered into this one, because it started off great. I mean really, bloody good. spoiler[Seriously though. Light finding the Deathnote- cool. Starting our story. Misa finding a deathnote gives our little megalomaniac someone to use, and or relate with. The third one though. Come on. How many of things just fall to Earth?] Stupid. I must admit though the rivalry between L, and Light was pretty good.

3) Tenjho Tenge- Way to much with the Flashback. Way to much. Ruined the whole bloody thing.

2) Hellsing- I know this makes me a freak, but I really think this show is an abomination. I checked the beginning of it because the anime club that I went to thought it was "so cool". Not doing that again.

1) Shura No Toki- Ummmm...Bastardizing history much. I know it's anime, and that it isn't supposed to be accurate, but come on. It just irritated me to no end that historical facts couldn't come into fruition until the lead fought the characters involved. There are much better stories with fictional leads that don't completely ruin the tale. Samurai X for instance. Shinta was at a couple of major battles, but never prominent enough to change what happened.

I think I'm done now. Smile
Tama!Tama!Tama!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
Hmmm..... Going from # 10-# 1.

10) Heroic Legend of Arslan- This one is kinda classic, but I really like it anyway. Always have.

9) Gundam Seed- By Seed, I mean Seed. Not Destiny. I love the characters, the story, and the music. Deffinately my fave Gundam series.

8) Strawberry Marshmallow- Cute, and fun. The characters are very lovable. This show kept me laughing.

7) Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi- I think the humor in this show is awesome. The parodies are cool. The characters are neat. I like how it gets deeper near the end, but continues to be humorous.

6) Interstella 5555- Wow! I love the animation, and I love Daft Punk. It works kind of like a silent film. The music sets the mood, and the animation tells the story. I see this one as a masterpiece.

5) Neon Genesis Evangelion- I love this show alot. I like the characters, and the art. The music is really good too. I had a hard time with this one, since I saw RahXephon first. I always thought that one was better then the two crummy episodes of Eva I had seen. Now that I have given it a chance, I fell like an idiot.

4) The Weathering Continent- This one hits my inner geek really hard. It plays out like a D&D campaign. Good fantasy setting. Really pretty art, not that that is a big surprise given the artist. I totally would play this one out with my group, if they hadn't all seen it. Sad

3) Peacemaker- I love everything about this show. I can't even narrow it down. I really just like this show.

2) Wolf's Rain- There are alot of cliche' anime out there, and I do mean alot. This is not really one of them. It has it's moments, but over all I was impressed with it's originality, and continuity.

1) .Hack//Sign- This is the only show in the .Hack line that I really liked. This title also was pretty original. I'm a big fan of goofy, formulaic shows too. Every now, and the it's nice to get into something deeper. Beautiful art, beautiful music, and a great story line keep me coming back.

I think that does it. Now 5 worst. *goes to get a shield*
From # 5-# 1

5) Howl's Moving Castle- I have seen all of the American released Miyazaki movies, except Porco Rosso. This one, and Whisper are the only two I do not like. The characters are bland, with no developement. The story is going all over without ever letting you know why. It kinda goes like....Here are some people doing "stuff", and this girl is cursed "just because", oh and here's this war over "well what does it matter, we said there's a war, so there." Can I be semi involved in the next one please?

4) Deathnote- I was suckered into this one, because it started off great. I mean really, bloody good. spoiler[Seriously though. Light finding the Deathnote- cool. Starting our story. Misa finding a deathnote gives our little megalomaniac someone to use, and or relate with. The third one though. Come on. How many of things just fall to Earth?] Stupid. I must admit though the rivalry between L, and Light was pretty good.

3) Tenjho Tenge- Way to much with the Flashback. Way to much. Ruined the whole bloody thing.

2) Hellsing- I know this makes me a freak, but I really think this show is an abomination. I checked the beginning of it because the anime club that I went to thought it was "so cool". Not doing that again.

1) Shura No Toki- Ummmm...Bastardizing history much. I know it's anime, and that it isn't supposed to be accurate, but come on. It just irritated me to no end that historical facts couldn't come into fruition until the lead fought the characters involved. There are much better stories with fictional leads that don't completely ruin the tale. Samurai X for instance. Shinta was at a couple of major battles, but never prominent enough to change what happened.

I think I'm done now. Smile

I think it should look like this....
4) Deathnote- I was suckered into this one, because it started off great. I mean really, bloody good. Seriously though. spoiler[Light finding the Deathnote- cool. Starting our story. Misa finding a deathnote gives our little megalomaniac someone to use, and or relate with. The third one though. Come on. How many of things just fall to Earth? Stupid. I must admit though the rivalry between L, and Light was pretty good.]

You kinda reveal alot of the anime here...Sorry if am too technical...Let me know if I am.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added to original post and quote. ~Zalis]
Amayirot Akago

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
10. King Of Braves GaoGaiGar
High intensity no-brainer mecha action for the undemanding viewer. The format might be a little predictable at first, but the whole thing gets pretty epic after the first half. And you just gotta love all those transforming/combining robots destroying biomechanical baddies with nothing but their BRAVERY!!!

9. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Just awesome on every front. It's got brutal violence and highly inventive battles (my favourite being the least violent: the poker game) and Dio is just one of the most badass villains in anime history.

8. Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind
Beautiful. It's one of my favourite anime movies for that sole reason. It's also got a decent storyline with a strong environmental message, fantastic animation and a dreamishly good synth soundtrack.

7. Death Note
A brilliant show in all regards. How does one keep the battle between good and evil interesting? By making the villain the main character. As you watch his mental battles with those who oppose him unfold, you can't help but find yourself rooting for him, while at the same time wondering if his motives really are as just as he claims.

6. Toki Wo Kakeru Shojo
Fantastic movie. I've always loved time travel stories and this one takes a very fresh approach to it. The animation is excellent throughout, as are the characters and the overall story; at times it's hilarious, at others it's emotional, and overall it's highly entertaining.

5. Kino's Travels
I'm a very philosophical person at times, so it's no wonder this one is in my list. Despite there being very little action, comedy, or an overarching plot, every single episode grabs my interest and doesn't let go till the end. It's that good.

4. The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
A modern classic in every respect. Daily situations with just a dash of fantasy and wackiness like only anime can deliver makes for a very interesting story (not to mention the episodes being in non-linear order). The characters are all very memorable, particularly Haruhi herself, and Kyon's endless sarcastic commentary is icing on the cake. Can't wait for the second season.

3. Azumanga Daioh
The king of slice-of-life comedies, even with how much I love comparable shows like Lucky Star and Hidamari Sketch. The unique slow brand of comedy may not be as funny to everyone, but I love it, along with the memorably quirky, cute and recognizable characters (especially Osaka and Chiyo), the cutesy soundtrack and the relaxing pacing.

2. Cowboy Bebop
Overflowing with style AND substance. Great stories that always bring something new to the table, lots of comedy and action, and great characters. The soundtrack is in a league of its own and brilliantly complements the unique style. The ending is among the best of it's kind; heartbreaking but with a definite sense of closure.

1. Kare Kano
The benchmark for all romantic comedy anime; where else is the confession only the beginning of the story? I really feel with what the characters go through, and the excellent soundtrack perfectly underlines their personalities. Plus it's just plain hilarious and adorable, as well as philosophical. The experimental style of animation really appeals to me as well.

Since I have practically no anime I dislike, instead a few honorable mentions that didn't quite make the favourites list:
  • School Days: I couldn't stop laughing at the end. It's so bad it becomes good again.
  • FLCL: Probably the zaniest 6 episode OVA I will ever see. But there's method to the madness too.
  • Lupin the 3rd: Although its age often shows very closely, it's still a very enjoyable and stylish series.
  • Shingetsutan Tsukhime: While the original Visual Novel is far superior in terms of story, it still remains a decent adaptation and one of the most deliciously atmospheric anime I've ever seen, not to mention the outstanding ominous and melancholic soundtrack.
  • Popotan: Before I saw this anime I never thought it would be possible for me to cry at a work of fiction. Okay, I didn't, but I came THIS close to spilling my guts out. Plenty of laughs, plenty of drama, and plenty of fanservice too.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
For me the following are my 10 favorites so far:
10. Welcome to the NHK - One of the most interesting relationships in anime.
9. Usagi-chan de Cue - I know, I know, a 3 parter that is almost universally reviled - it's a good thing that Warner Bros brought out Bugs Bunny, et al in the 30's because it's obvious we've lost our appreciation of silly. Hey, folks, it's a cartoon, a goofy cartoon with a well developed sense of silly.
8. Metropolis - A wonderful adaptation of Fritz Lang's 1927 silent classic. For me it was somewhat ruined because it's credited as based on a manga and no mention at all is made of the original.
7. Sola - A few continuity flaws but wonderful characters with an amazing conclusion that I defy anyone to say they saw it coming.
6.Princess Mononoke - One of the first anime I ever saw and one that left a lasting impression
5. Air TV - Outstanding for the characters, the stories, the scope and the premise.
4. Millennium Actress - A style of storytelling you rarely see it was hard to follow sometimes but worth it if you did.
3. FLCL - You don't so much watch this one, it's more like you just sit there and it happens to you.
2. Cowboy Bebop TV - An amazing series with an amazing ending and one of the greatest sequences in anime.spoiler[Even though I know it's gonna happen, when I see the message "Bye, Bye" painted on the Bebop and "Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV", accompanied by Ein, going into that desolate landscape to find the place that she belongs because she knows when she finds it, it will be "something good." with the final shot of her pinwheel stuck to the bow; spinning in the dusk; I become wonderfully sad.]
1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Science fiction at it's best - what is not told is almost as interesting as what is - Where is she from; is she human; what's Kyon's real name; what's little sister's name; will Haruhi ever realize that Mikuru's not the bimbo she pretends to be. Top this all with the current rankings in the International Saimoe League which have Haruhi in first place and Yuki in second (Mikuru is eighteenth) how can you not think it's amazing.

As far as the five worst - I don't have any, I'm too old to waste my time so I do a little research before deciding what to watch and haven't hit a loser yet. [/u]
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:

8. Metropolis - A wonderful adaptation of Fritz Lang's 1927 silent classic. For me it was somewhat ruined because it's credited as based on a manga and no mention at all is made of the original.

The Metropolis manga and 2000 anime are SO different that if you were to watch the movie and read the manga its supposedly 'based off of' (all they really took were character names/ designs), and neither one of them had a title on it, you would never guess that the anime and manga are the slightest bit related. I'm guessing the reason 2000 Metropolis mentioned nothing from its manga is that, to me at least, its barely based off the manga, its more based off the silent movie. The stories are completely different, some character don't appear in the original manga at all. Characters who never were in the manga include spoiler[ Rock, Tiema (there was a robot named Michi that was like a low power Astro with only the ability to fly and punch things really hard), Dr. Lawton, Pero, Atlas]. The manga is just so different, its near shocking.
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Olliff wrote:
Naruto

Ninjas that wear orange, annoying main characters, an obsession with ramen gags and even more filler than Bleach, makes the list of Naruto’s offenses very long. To a lesser extent than Bleach, the series misuses its at times slow pacing. Instead of using the slow pacing to develop a more complex story line or explore physiological facets, Naurto uses its slow pacing as excuse to put off an exciting part to the next episode. It’s truly disappointing.

I couldn't agree more. Blatant plagiarism from Hunter x Hunter (the same seiyuu for the main characters should ring alarm bells) makes it even worse, in my view.

My top and bottom 5:

Top:

1. Only Yesterday. Great Ghibli movie, with equal parts retrospection and drama, coupled with a dash of comedy.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist. Great story, themes, philosophy and characters. Fight scenes never drag, making its merchadise ethically justifiable. :p

3. Hunter x Hunter. Might move up after I see more episodes. So far, it's very creative, well-paced, and even improves on the manga in some places, which happens less than once a blue moon.

4. Rurouni Kenshin: Reminiscence Surpasses its manga once again. Choosing to eschew the comedy (except for that one scene with Izuka) makes it equal to some of Ghibli's best. Certainly one of the best historical animes I've seen.

5. The Girl Who Flew Through Time. Lots of humour, coupled with an unexpected twist (in most senses of the word) make this worth rewatching several times.

Worst 5:

1. DBZ. Filler, filler and a cliche plot. Resurrections and reincarnations that would short-circuit the Buddist rebirth system.

2. Naruto. As aforementioned, it plagiarised from something earlier and better. It got away with it because it had greater exposure. Much greater exposure. The first season was acceptable, but the filler AND summary episodes turn this into a giant yawn-fest. Good for members of Fight Club wanting an exit. Wink

3. Blood: TLV. Blatant cash-in on Ghost in the Shell. Cameron's cover-comment makes this clear.

4. Pokemon. Most in the west believe that Digimon stole ideas from Pokemon. The opposite is the reality.

5. Death Note. I know it's popular, but it never really did it for me. The movies surpass it in all ways possible, IMO. Too much dialogue, monotone voice actors and the Higuchi arc (although they did abridge it from the manga) make it the worst "suspense"-filled anime I've seen.

Fun YouTube links (somewhat related):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byaBrkSbmy4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK36C23EUqA&feature=related

I at first would have agred with you on deathnote- at first i thought it was just a cerial killer killing, but then i desided to read the rest of the first manga volume after watching like two minutes of the first episode( i know wierd) and i loved it.
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Alright, top 10

1) Rurouni Kenshin- My first anime, and so far, it has held up as the greatest anime I have ever seen for so many reasons I can't count them. From the beginning of his life in that caravan of slaves to the end in Kaoru's lap, it is one of the most wonderfully complete stories ever told IMHO

2) Trigun- If only all of us could be as badass as Vash the Stampede

3) Full Metal Alchemist - The epitomy of brotherly love. I have a younger brother, so this one hit me pretty hard.

4) Claymore - God I hope they make a 2nd season...it is SO unfinished!

5) The Twelve Kingdoms - It was masterfully done, I love the music in this anime, and once she beats that stupid sentient sword it really takes off.

6) Cowboy Bebop - They need to make an anime where Spike and Vash the Stampede team up and...well...that's it because nothing imaginable could stand against these two gunslingers mua hahahaha

7) Eureka 7 - This was an awesome combination of mecha-action and futuristic sci-fi. O and the love story I found to be great simply because it concluded with more then holding hands haha. Everything was wrapped up nicely in the end, there weren't too many questions left unanswered and I appreciate that.

8) S-Cry-Ed - This thing was freakin awesome, what an amazing battle at the end also. That's how you satisfy your fans right there

9) Shakugan no Shana - Now that they finally solved that stupid season-long love triangle between yuji, shana, and yoshida, the 3rd season will hopefully be even better then the 1st...if they make one that is.

10) Bleach - This is 3 anime's in 1. It is a combination of Shakugan no Shana, Claymore, and DragonballZ. Think about it you'll understand.

Worst Anime I've seen

1) Mushishi- god this was so boring. Maybe if you are into artsy anime and want something just for the animation, it'd be ok it looked pretty good aesthetically. But jeez i was bored.
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
btw, if anyone thinks they know an action anime that could crack my top 10 list, i'd be willing to give it a look Wink I'll let you know what I think of it ^^

bua hahaha (i love this from bleach rofl)
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I guess I'll throw in my top ten. Anime hyper

10. Chobits - Perverted to an extent, but still humorous and cute all at the same time. Besides, how can you not love Sumomo and the Wakey Wakey exercises? Way too cute to ignore!

9. Angelic Layer - Although I have been unable to see this entire series, what I have watched of it is really good. I would love to really play out battles like that, seriously.

8. InuYasha - Despite the abrupt end to the series, it was still an excellent anime full of adventure, comedy, and some romance along the way.

7. Dual! - Interesting to say the least. Anime hyper It had some things that reminded me of Tenchi Muyo (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing!)

6. Tenchi Muyo! - Speak of the devil, here it is. I loved this show mainly for the comedy value, but the storylines were excellent too. I didn't like Tenchi In Tokyo, but the first two arcs were awesome.

5. One Piece - Despite 4Kids' butchering, I actually do like this series. The opening rap was terrible, but the voices weren't too bad. Could've been better if Funimation had it in the beginning, but overall, it was still a good watch on Saturday mornings.

4. Witch Hunter Robin - A bit on the dark side, but an excellent anime all the same. It was one of the first "mature" anime I've watched, being that before that I really only watched DBZ. I actually loved the whole interaction between Robin and Amon, and how the series progressed. The end, however, left a lot of unanswered questions. Ah well, nothing's perfect.

3. FullMetal Alchemist - There's really no needed comment for this. The story, characters, setting...everything worked together in harmony. One of the best anime I've seen on Adult Swim since Witch Hunter Robin, really.

2. King Of Bandit Jing - This is an anime rarely ever mentioned. I absolutely fell in love with this show, despite it being short with only 13 episodes and having a very abrupt ending. Besides the action, there was a lot of comedy put in, mainly from Jing's womanizing albatross Kir. I wish I could find this anime somewhere; it's one of the best I've ever seen.

1. Naruto/Naruto Shippuuden - Yes, I love Naruto. I'm 100% Narutarded, and I'm pretty dang proud to say it! What else do you expect from a girl who goes around school wearing a handmade headband Sakura-style every chance she can? Anyway...I just adore this show. I like the action styles behind it, the comedy and slight romantic insights, and the characters themselves are even more reason to love the show. The music is awesome too; Toshiro Masuda did an excellent job with the background music. So yeah...Naruto gets top spot in my top ten. Dattebayo!

And as for 5 worse...yeah, I really don't have any. ^^;;
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:
For me the following are my 10 favorites so far:
10. Welcome to the NHK - One of the most interesting relationships in anime.
9. Usagi-chan de Cue - I know, I know, a 3 parter that is almost universally reviled - it's a good thing that Warner Bros brought out Bugs Bunny, et al in the 30's because it's obvious we've lost our appreciation of silly. Hey, folks, it's a cartoon, a goofy cartoon with a well developed sense of silly.
7. Sola - A few continuity flaws but wonderful characters with an amazing conclusion that I defy anyone to say they saw it coming.
6.Princess Mononoke - One of the first anime I ever saw and one that left a lasting impression
5. Air TV - Outstanding for the characters, the stories, the scope and the premise.
4. Millennium Actress - A style of storytelling you rarely see it was hard to follow sometimes but worth it if you did.
3. FLCL - You don't so much watch this one, it's more like you just sit there and it happens to you.
2. Cowboy Bebop TV - An amazing series with an amazing ending and one of the greatest sequences in anime.spoiler[Even though I know it's gonna happen, when I see the message "Bye, Bye" painted on the Bebop and "Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV", accompanied by Ein, going into that desolate landscape to find the place that she belongs because she knows when she finds it, it will be "something good." with the final shot of her pinwheel stuck to the bow; spinning in the dusk; I become wonderfully sad.]
1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Science fiction at it's best - what is not told is almost as interesting as what is - Where is she from; is she human; what's Kyon's real name; what's little sister's name; will Haruhi ever realize that Mikuru's not the bimbo she pretends to be. Top this all with the current rankings in the International Saimoe League which have Haruhi in first place and Yuki in second (Mikuru is eighteenth) how can you not think it's amazing.

As far as the five worst - I don't have any, I'm too old to waste my time so I do a little research before deciding what to watch and haven't hit a loser yet. [/u]
Millennium Actress!

Best movie ever.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
This list is subject to massive change. I have many highly-rated anime in my collection which I haven't watched completely yet.

Top 10 Best:

Princess Mononoke - First anime movie I've ever watched. It's still awesome today. I'm just waiting for a DVD that has decent extras, or even a bluray.

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal - The drama and romance made me cry a little. Thats enough of a reason. That along with a really dark storyline including politics.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie - Yes, I think the movie is better than the series. The series just felt pretty long with its bare episodic nature. A very fleshed-out and complex story is really makes this awesome.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Most popular series ever, no explanation needed since everyone knows.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade - Read: Samurai X. The similarities are crazy even though they seem completely different on the outside.

Requiem from the Darkness - Offers some twisted horror story each episode, combined with awesomely unique visuals and an awesome English dub.

Samurai Champloo - Awesome technical aspects and fight scenes, and comedy that I actually like. Liking an anime comedy is very rare for me.

The Girl Who Leapt through Time - Great drama and very fun to watch.

Haibane Renmei - An immersive fantasy world and great characters, I love it.

Ghost in the Shell - Dark cyberpunk action and thought-provoking futuristic nonsense is just my type of thing.

Top 5 Worst (OMG leik I chose popsulor anime):

FLCL - Waste of life. It felt like it was a whole 5 hours at least, even though its only 2 hours long. Randomness does not = quality, to me. It just plain sucks.

Noir - Extremely boring, drags throughout. The characters are completely stock until the last few episodes. Some of the animation is horrible. Extremely unrealistic all around. Annoying reoccurring death scene in every episode.

You're Under Arrest: The Movie - Characters were annoying, dub sucked, and the subs were horribly pixellated. Couldn't really enjoy it under these circumstances.

Space Pirate Captain Herlock The Endless Odyssey - The characters are stock, the story is too crazy for me to suspend my disbelief, and I'm not a fan of the character designs.

Witchblade - Incredibly boring. Most of the time in those 24 episodes are spent towards normal everyday stuff. Especially eating food (yay I get to see the characters eat every meal, how interesting). All this stuff about genes gets really derivative after a while. The characters piss me off too.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
01. Record Lodoss War
This D&Desque show is beginning to show it's age, but to me it fits into the fantasy/epic sword and sorcery show I've ever seen in anime. Sure Parn comes across as an incompitant warrior, but the closest part is watching him mature into a stronger warrior. Really enjoyed the music in this one also.

02. Slayers
One of the most fun shows I could possibly show to anyone of all ages that would get into the characters and simply kick back and enjoy the lightness of this show. I found myself laughing out loud frequently alone to this show because of the quirky nature of it's characters.

03. Robotech/Macross
I watched the 3rd season of Robotech(Mospeada) a few times before I decided I wanted to collect more anime and especially anything Macross related. I liked how this show blended so many genres together perfectly for me: comedy, romance, sci-fi, and mech. Highly recommended for anyone wanted to watch a classic sci-fi anime over a long haul. I've still have yet to finish Macross 7 arg..

04. Nadia
Before there was Evangelion, Gainax showed off it's excellent story telling skills in Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water. At first I didn't think I'd enjoy this show because of the older character designs, but once I got locked into the story I didn't mind and I enjoyed all the great moments Nadia and Sean had in building their relationship over the period of the series. Weird, but the Neo-Atlanteans reminded me a lot of Giant Robo's Big Fire character designs. Keene(sp?) was a cute pet lion to watch also in the show.

05. Excel Saga
Take a break from the anime norm and watch a show that has absolutely nothing to prove other than it's insane wackiness that often tests the sanity of the show. I really enjoyed the dub of this show, only disapointment would be that Jessica Calvello didn't stick around for the second half of this show as the Excel lead. If you seen quite a library of anime than you'll pick up the paradies caught in this movie. Kinda like watching shrek in a way, but this anime mind you.

06. Berserk
I didn't think there was a fantasy anime out there that could top Record of Lodoss War for me, but Berserk is quite the contendor. It's a serious anime for adults that enjoy fast story pacing and character development and don't want any of the light wacky nature a young show has like said Slayers. Gutts is kinda like the anime incarnation of Conan the Barbarian. Just watch how he swings and trains with his sword..

07. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Quite arguably the best anime to watch on Halloween night. It has some of the best animation i've seen rendered to date. Character designs are pretty amazing, this is a must see for people who haven't had the chance to catch it. Without spoiling anything I'd say watch it! Only flaw it had for me is that the movie was too short and probably should have been maid into a short OVA series.

08. Moble Suit Gundam (original series)
If you can get past that this show was aired in Japan in 1979 and simply enjoy the story pacing of this show than you're well on your way to becoming a true Gundam fan. This show serves as a great intro into the world of Gundam, especially the UC shows. Explaining the backdrop between ZEON and the Federation. The fights are really epic and climatic in space.

09. Saber Marionette J
At first glance one would have suspect this is a show about battling androids. It turns out the show turns itself into a drama/romance between the lead male and three marionettes. I liked watching the marionettes become more human over the course of the series. Highly recommended.

10. Neo Tokyo
Truly an amazing anime feat for the legendary makers of anime Masao Mruyama (Tokyo Godfathers), Rintaro(Metropolis), Yoshiyaki Kawajiri(Ninja Scroll), and Katsuhiro Otomo(Akira). This short anime is split up into three movements Labrinth, The Running Man, and Construction Cancellation Order. The shocking part is realizing these guys made these anime shorts almost 20 years ago is quite a surprise.

The not-so-great-least-5-favorites

01. Neo Ranga
At first glance this anime looked promising a mysterious unravelling plot three girls who can control a giant foreign robot not welcomed into Tokyo. The immaturity of this show ultimately turned me off and I unfortunately collected the whole box. This is one of ADV's lesser successful shows.

02. Devil Lady
Probably, going to surprise people but this show was too dark and creepy for me. I've never had nightmares from watching anime, but I got a few of them watching this show. I like everyone of Go Nagai's shows, but this one disturbed me a little too much.

03. Zaion
Yet another crisply nice crafted GONZO show, so everything should be perfect right? Well I thought the flawed story pacing ruined the short anime experience for me.

04. Yukikaze
"For fans of Macross Plus" is what I was told. It certainly looked great animation wise, but the story was too underdeveloped for me and its quickly before the story can get anywhere.

05. Landlock
Of all the great Manga Ent. releases, Landlock holds a place at the bottom. Poor character development and crummy animation ruined the experience for me in this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Autybot

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Top 5 Favourites

1. Bleach- I find it strange that so many people haven't mentioned Bleach in their top Anime favourites. I guess it could be my interest in life beyond the human world, or the cleverness in the storyline. I find myself believing everything that Tite Kubo has written about Soul Society, Death Gods, Soul Slayers, Bount...etc... What I like most about Bleach is that it is filled with constant jolts and humor. I haven't found myself drifting off for a single episode.

2. Escaflowne- I first saw Escaflowne when I was a young girl, back when Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball were the most popular Americanized Anime series. The artwork for this series always caught my attention because there was a certain realism to it. I'm not sure whether I would have enjoyed the series if it had been stretched past its 26-episodes, but there is always a part of me that wishes it had. I really liked though even it had been a Romance Fantasy series, the plot didn't stick to the stereotypical shonen or shojo genres.

3. Chobits- I first came across Chobits because I was really interested in the artwork by CLAMP. Actually, the reason why I become a fan of Anime is because I always found it more fun to create Anime styled drawings. Anyway, Chobits is a really cute Anime, but it definitely plays with perverted humor, which I always find hilarious. I'm female, but I find seinen series to be one of the best subsets of Anime.

4. Mahoromatic- I was given the first DVD to the series for a Christmas present about two years ago, and it took a while before I decided to watch it, since I'd never watched any sci-fi romantic comedy Animes. I wasn't sure if I'd be too interested, but I definitely found this Anime to be awesome. What I like most about it is that Suguru Misato is not a stereotypical male character set out to save Mahoro. It's nice to see a girl (well, android) kicking ass......

5. Death Note- I don't have much to say about Death Note, other than the fact that I love how twisted of a series it is. I'm not the biggest fan of the film, but the Anime series, especially in it's original language, has me sitting in my computer room for hours watching episode after episode. I also am a fan of this Anime because it's idea of a shinigami is much different than that of Bleach.

Rolling Eyes
Pinktiarapanda

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
So here's the deal. These aren't really what I might objectively consider the best anime series of all time (based on quality, writing, character development, timelessness, etc.. ). BUT these are my favorites (So what I personally like the best).

1. Honey and Clover
Being a shoujo fan, I'll admit that Honey and Clover was just my perfect cup of tea. and I know that this might make me a little biased when saying that Honey and Clover is my favorite anime and one of the best animes of all time. But my deep adoration for Honey and Clover goes farther than just my personal preferences. Honey and Clover, to me, is an incredible anime because it's unique, the character development is... incredible, it's very touching and heart warming...but mostly because it's so sincere with the story it's trying to tell (college friends on the journey of life together, learning and growing and loving). It isn't driven by fan service or cheap plot cliches that a lot of animes no matter how promising they seem turn out being slathered with . It sticks to the integrity of the story telling and it's central themes of love and friendship in a way that's so geniune and lovely and passionate...I don't see how it could'nt be my favorite anime.
2. Nana
What do I see as being the most integral part about making any anime a good one? The characters of course. I find that even if the writing isn't perfect, I can still fall in love with a series if the characters are developed well enough. And not only is Nana well written to start with, it has some of the most 3 dimensional and well developed characters of any anime I've seen (not to mention it has hottt guys, awesome music, and so much kick ass coolness that your head will spin). This anime is also one of the most emotionally driven I've seen. It's about the struggles and heartbreaks and triumphs of two best friends trying to make it on their own in the city, dealing with yummy boys, and making a band. What's so touching about this anime is how all the characters are able to interact with eachother and care about eachother in unique ways. I don't really know how else to describe it than just being a really...amazing, breath taking, *romantic(even if tearjerking)* and touching anime.
3. Death Note *prepare for a rant*
Okay so I do enjoy some shounen now and then. And Death Note is one of the most enjoyable anime series (any genre) I have ever seen. I never really considered myself that big of an anime junkie before I saw this series. But after being obsessively glued to the computer for 3 days without much food or sleep...I've come to find out otherwise. Never have I ever been so addicted to a series. I couldn't stop watching it or talking about it or reading about it or posting about it for about a week after I finished it. And it's for good reason too. I only decided to watch it to see what all the hype was about. I thought to myself "OMMMMFG i'm so annoyed with all of these people who are soooo obsessed with Death Note >Sad what's the big deal anyways??" So I watched the first couple of episodes. And I got what the big deal was. Death Note is orginal (guy who finds note book that kills people turns into power hungry ubermench genius vs. brilliant sugar addicted sexy detective who's just as smart, toss in some death gods, girls, a heap of suspense and a dash of DRRAMMA and you've got yummy brilliant original anime soup). It's well written (for the most part). It has some of the most interesting/sexiest characters ever. awesome animation. bloody brilliant pacing. greaat music. In short. IT.KICKS.ASS. *rant complete* phew.
4. Blood +
Ah, Blood+ will always be one of those animes that I'll always just have a deep rooted attatchment too. It's one of the animes that got me into the genre and made me the nerd that I am today. ...just don't know exactly what to say besides that I love it. the story is very very intriging and absolutely sucks you in (um normal girl with amnesia turns out to be gross vampire monster killing, ass kicking heroine with a sexy guy who just seems to always have to hang around her-- mix it up with spoiler[crazy evil twin sister] a really complicated interesting back story,cool sci fi crazy stuff....and FCKINGAWESOME fighting scenes...it's so.freaking.awesome). I think the best part of this series is the character development of Saya. The way she grows and changes through the anime is incredible. I also love Haji *melts a little*Great story, vibrant characters, great music, great animation. loads of action and a dash of romance. What more is there to want?
5.Haibane Renmei
I'm a philosophy freak. And Haibane Renmei is...philosophical so it's understandable why I like it. Don't think that you have to understand or even like philosophy to appreciate this series though. This anime is a beautiful and thoughtful and deliberately exectuted masterpiece from any angle you look at it. This series also has a very unique storyline ( Haibane are beings that are not quite human living in seclusion amoung humans in a seemingly distopic society...Raka is a newborn Haibane and the viewer experiences the world and livelyhoods of the haibane through her eyes. There are many philosophical questions raised throughout like what is the purpose of life, what is moral, how do you really escape "sin" or immorality, what is it that keeps us bound to certain things/preconceptopns....to name a few). Overall this anime is very beautiful, calm, and thought provoking. A must see IMO.
6. Koi Kaze
You like an anime about incest? REALLY? that's totally what I thought to myself when I finished this series and found myself thinking it....is a masterpiece. But it's true. This anime is one of my favorites. The portrayal of emotion in this series is so intense and so thorough that you grow to feel the characters' pain and understand a great deal of the extent of their struggles. The series is written in way that makes the characters completely vulnerable to the viewer-- you see everything they feel and go through. their weakness and their strengths, the extent of their true feelings for each other-- until the characters are so real and their relationship so fleshed out that you actually come to an understanding of why they come to feel and act the way the do. Koi Kaze, when watched with an open mind, is probably one of the most insightful and moving animes every created. It's also by far one of best written series i've ever seen (and i've seen a lot). Though the themes in this series are extremely controversial i think that they could not have been handled in a more deeply sensitive and analytical way. I think this anime is one of the best portrayals of human nature and love out there.
7.ef-a tale of memories
I am a sap. and this anime is probably one of the most romantic and beautiful and moving series out there. The story is reallly quite original and not to mention completely engrossing although a bit slow in the beginning. But the more you watch the more you grow attached to the characters and sympathize with the issues that all of them have. The characters are very believable and their emotions are portrayed very vibrantly.Very romantic but not too cheesy. Perfection.
8.Noein
not many people i've met know about noein. But they should. This anime is amazing, well thought, interesting, and unique. It's about alternate realities, some interesting to consider big "What if??" 's, friendship, loyalty, betrayal, regret, love lost, love gained--add in really awesone characters, FREAKINGAMAZINGASSKICKINGLYBRILL IANT music, really unique and cool animation, and saweet fight scenes. It rocks. and has probably the most complicated but followable story line I've seen yet in this short of a series. The story is complex but the anime is short and the story is well tied up with only about 24 episode.
There is constant twists and turns and so it is very very addictive. Lots of action yet lots of emotion. definately worth watching.
9.Elfen lied
This anime is super super gory and has quite a bit of mature content so viewer discretion advised. the reason i like Elf lied so much however is the complexity of the characters. Sure this anime is quite melodramatic and pretty disturbing at times, but if you can get past all that it is really good. The contrast between lucy and nyu(?) is really interesting and i think Lucy's inner struggle holds the storyline together. The relationship between kouta and lucy however was probably the thing that made this anime on my list. The depth and complexity of their relationship is very riveting. I cried alot watching this anime. very bloody and a bit disturbing yet complex and moving.
10. Fushigi Yugi
Fushigi Yugi is really what got me into watching anime in the first place. This series will always have a place in my heart just because of all the nostalgia and warm fuzzies I get when I think about it. And really. How can i be a girl and not have this one on my list somewhere? Besides. THIS ANIME IS AWESOME. It's a classic. it has everything a good anime needs to have...quirky characters, cross dressing gay men, ROMANCE, humor, action, drama, and a touch of tragedy *sniff sniff*.
i would recommend this to someone who hasn't really watched too much anime before...but wants to see what anime is all about.
but this anime is a must see for anyone, anime noobs and anime veterens alike.

Last edited by Pinktiarapanda on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 122