• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - Asian Kung-Fu Generation: World World World

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. While I enjoy alot of the popular singles from AKG I just could never get into their albums as a whole. I found that their sound was too repetitive, and that that certain quality in the hit songs that I enjoy (haruka kanata, rewrite, flashback, ect) was missing from the other songs on the albums I've heard by them. Strange Anime hyper!
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
This album was kind of a letdown from their "Fanclub" CD. There's some good tracks, but it doesn't work as a whole. Their "Feedback File" CD is a lot better, and there's supposed to be another mini-album coming out in June.

Anyone out there that needs a better recommendation, look up either YUI's "I Loved Yesterday" and The50Kaitenz's "Let's Go 3-Biki!!" One's a great pop album by a talented woman; the other a hilarious punk band that's making waves.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Nice review. While I enjoy alot of the popular singles from AKG I just could never get into their albums as a whole. I found that their sound was too repetitive, and that that certain quality in the hit songs that I enjoy (haruka kanata, rewrite, flashback, ect) was missing from the other songs on the albums I've heard by them. Strange Anime hyper!

I would have to agree on that point. Other than their hits, I could never really get into their sound in a full-length album (even a mini-album).

I rather enjoyed reading this review, unlike the last entries minus the Gackt Gundam tribute, I was pretty familiar with the content, and had my own opinion. This one however, proved ot be much more enlightening. Still, I think there's still room for improvement but that's natural.

I'd also like to second the recommendation of YUI's "I Loved Yesterday" album. I thoroughly enjoyed what I heard from it (well, at least in the case of YUI's accustic works). I hope we see that reviewed soon along with Utada Hikaru's "HEART STATION", which was released April 29th, of this year.
young98

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
i remember first listening to "Haruka Kanata" from Naruto, and i was hooked on AKFG. i liked "rewrite" even more, and the other anime OP they had were good too. only recently i've been listening to the CD as a whole, and some people say that it may sound repetitive, maybe so, but this is generally true for any band, they have a certain sound, and especially in the same album, the songs are going to have something that makes them sound similar.
"world world world" is an okay album, but to me it seems they became a little more poppy than they were in previous albums
my favorite album is "sol-fa" sooo many good songs, and one of my new favorites "re:re:"
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Has this CD been released in the US or something? I haven't heard or seen anything pertaining to it, so the mention of an English lyric sheet threw me off guard.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
Has this CD been released in the US or something? I haven't heard or seen anything pertaining to it, so the mention of an English lyric sheet threw me off guard.

I haven't heard anything about it being released in the US. I imported my copy of the disc so I was rather surprised to see the English lyric sheet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
crazymonkeyfish

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
I did just DL the CD from Isohunt, and it is really good. Everyone who is a fan should really get this Cool
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
Just a general comment about Hai Fidelity in general, and one question:

Thanks for putting in a sample track. It really gives me a glimpse of not only that song, but whether or not I might like the CD overall.

Is there any way to put a tracklist either at the end or the beginning of the article? I read the article, but I'd really like to have a tracklist to reference when I'm reading as well. *shrug* Especially for bands I've never heard of before - like Abbington (sp?) Boys

AKG isn't one of my favorites - Rewrite was down toward the end of my favorite FMA songs, they just weren't my style. *shrug* I've heard a few of their other songs for other animes, and again, weren't my thing, so maybe I should just give up trying to like them at some point. Razz
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
young98 wrote:
only recently i've been listening to the CD as a whole, and some people say that it may sound repetitive, maybe so, but this is generally true for any band, they have a certain sound, and especially in the same album, the songs are going to have something that makes them sound similar.

Yeah. I generally prefer not to listen to entire CDs at once because of that.

Great column, I appreciate the music clip. I'd like to know who does the album art for AKG. I like the style. On this cover, that bunny girl looks more than a little like Haruhi, anyone else think?
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
Nice review. There's some catchy songs on this album, but overall, I too felt it was little dull and could've used the extra push. I like AKFG but I admit they can get repetitive at times. My favorites on the album were "After Dark", "Night Diving", "Wakusei", and "Korogaru...".
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite AKFG albums. Kita's backup vocals on "Night Diving" is the highlight of the album, for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:

Is there any way to put a tracklist either at the end or the beginning of the article? I read the article, but I'd really like to have a tracklist to reference when I'm reading as well. *shrug* Especially for bands I've never heard of before - like Abbington (sp?) Boys

I can try to add a tracklist but the column pretty much runs down the entire album from beginning to end. The order the songs appear int he column is the order they appear on the album.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
On the other side, I think World World World is definitely AKFG's most complete work yet. It's got the maturity they've been exploring in past albums, but unlike Fanclub and Sol-fa, has the superb variety that made Kimi Tsunagi Five M the most fun album of theirs to listen to. I'm certainly pleased with WWW. It's been the album I've spun the most this year, and even though I expected big things out of it, most of my expectations were delivered.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of the instrumentation, as I noticed was a pretty big downer in most of this review. I think the melodies are tight and well crafted, and I find plenty of depth in the songs. It's not Abbey Road, but it's certainly above their past efforts or even a number of pop-punk/indie bands on the scene today.

I think WWW is the smartest album of theirs, maintains a solid push and feel throughout and never really fizzles out. For the Japanese industry being so heavily focused on singles over albums, this one certainly deserves credit for having more variety than the last eight Pillows albums combined or every other visual kei band.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:

Great column, I appreciate the music clip. I'd like to know who does the album art for AKG. I like the style. On this cover, that bunny girl looks more than a little like Haruhi, anyone else think?

Thank you Anime smile Sorry that I missed your question at first. Their album artwork is usually done by Yusuke Nakamura. I believe this stands true for this album but I don't have my copy with me right now to check the liner notes.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The column is a good way to discover new Japanese bands, but right now I can't say that I even liked one of the band featured (that's what anime fan and music enthusiastic listen to so, but still). I mean, pop j-rock and j-pop are far from being my favorites, but I'm not closed to it either. Just saying we need more j-metal (extreme metal, preferably) and progressive music (rock)! Razz Oh, and this is definitively the best cover art yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2