• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I've heard and read quite a bit of both praise and criticism of this program, and while I haven't seen it yet, it seems like something I would at least buy the first regular edition DVD of to give a chance.

I wonder, though, if Bandai (or actually, BangZoom) plans to assign Wendee Lee to every major Aya Hirano role they can. I was almost surprised that Viz didn't try to get her to be Misa Amane in Death Note. Not that I dislike Ms. Lee - in fact, she's my favorite dub voice actress, next to Monica Rial - but she gets more than enough exposure as it is, and it may be time for casting directors to be a little more adventerous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kona-chan13

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
but the talky parts are the best.Timotei,Timotei,Timotei!!!
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I've referred to this as a "conversational comedy", and it's really a matter of taste whether or not you find that entertaining...but personally I wouldn't put a high price tag on it either way.

Less subjective are the middle episodes of the series which rely far, far too much on otaku references instead of real humor, plus the one joke Lucky Channel uses isn’t as funny the 15th time they use it.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I wonder, though, if Bandai (or actually, BangZoom) plans to assign Wendee Lee to every major Aya Hirano role they can. I was almost surprised that Viz didn't try to get her to be Misa Amane in Death Note. Not that I dislike Ms. Lee - in fact, she's my favorite dub voice actress, next to Monica Rial - but she gets more than enough exposure as it is, and it may be time for casting directors to be a little more adventerous.

I think that Aya Hirano was intentially cast as Konata after her role in Haruhi spoiler[(she later works in a cosplay cafe dressed as Haruhi as well)] so I don't think they are trying to stick Wendee Lee in every Aya Hirano role, only follow through with the original intent for Lucky Star.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
I've always had a difficult time trying to carefully distinguish Lucky Star with Azumanga whenever the debate came up, and Theron Martin pretty much nailed it. LS relies heavily more on conversation. Not only that, but the topics they brought up in their dialogues.
I've always felt that there was a line that neither crossed close enough to be comparable other than having plainfully distinguished characters in a slice-of-life series.

Heck, I love both series, so what do I care?

Although, on the English dub, Kagami sounded a little uneven. Yeah, I know about the mood swings, but she sounded like a completely different character in some scenes.
It did fix itself towards the end of the volume, so it was probably just minor road block.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
I loved this series, and I'm definitely not in the expected viewing audience, being an older woman. I loved it for the dialogue. It's the kind of girl dialogue you always find at the lunchtable at school (at least my lunch table) that always left you giggling for its silliness, ranging from yes, when to eat the strawberries, to geek obsessions with some games and cartoons. It brought back a lot of fun memories.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
I actually really love the early episodes of Lucky Star, despite all the flak they tend to get from the fanbase. I guess I really like the talky segments; it's so different from what I'm used to seeing in anime and I kind of like mundane stuff anyway. I love the Seinfeld comparison in the review. It's totally applicable. If I'm amused by Jerry and George waiting to be called to their table in a Chinese restaurant for 22 minutes, chances are I'll also be amused by little girls discussing the finer points of eating pastries for 6 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Honestly, it doesn't seem to be something that I'd be that interested in. I suppose if a friend let me borrow a disc, then yeah, but I don't see myself watching it. I wasn't a huge fan of Azumanga so the comparisons don't really change that, and I've never really cared for the whole teenagers looking like little kids style. So while it probably is good and appealing to others, I think I'll pass.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I love the Seinfeld comparison in the review. It's totally applicable. If I'm amused by Jerry and George waiting to be called to their table in a Chinese restaurant for 22 minutes, chances are I'll also be amused by little girls discussing the finer points of eating pastries for 6 minutes.

QFT

I couldn't figure out what I liked about this series, but this is so true. I guess I'll have to go ahead and shell out for the LE box. I love me some extras. Very Happy
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Considering that I love School Rumble, Excel Saga and Azumanga I shouldn't have been surprised that I liked Lucky Star from the get go. I love all the obscure references and agree that this is a series geared for those of us who watch plenty of anime. I couldn't stop laughing at the Gunbuster OP parody complete with parody music. It was just as funny as Harry McKenzie's "Quatro/Hyaku Shiki" introduction in School Rumble. These scenes that are tailored to us 80s anime fans are priceless.

I can't believe that the general consensus is that the series gets better and am really looking forward to the rest of the series. With Flag and School Rumble ending this is currently my favorite series (along with Simoun) being released.
F_urn

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
This was the first I've seen the series and I enjoyed it. I was not expecting it to be so heavy on conversation but thats fine. Its kind of a nice change of pace to put this in and switch gears from the reagular action anime I've been watching. I did like the dub too. I'm not a dub fan but I was curious so I watched the 4th episode subbed and dubbed and I think I understood some conversations better.

My DVD contained a "Liner Notes" insert that helped with some of the references that went over my head, that was nice. Although I think they made a mistake with the "Japanese saying that says that only stupid people catch colds."
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote
It's fascinating, in an annoying manner, that this blatant piece of moe pandering drool can be considered worth the cost of a dub, but something like Emma is deemed unworthy. I'll never understand it.
Rolling Eyes
Truered

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series, but I wonder if it'll ever get a UK R2 release. The first volume of Haruhi is out in the UK in about two weeks, so I'll probably have finished university by the time it's released. But then again I could end up importing, only to find them having a quick release over here Confused
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's fascinating, in an annoying manner, that this blatant piece of moe pandering drool can be considered worth the cost of a dub, but something like Emma is deemed unworthy. I'll never understand it.
Rolling Eyes

Since when has the quality of the show ever factored in to whether or not it receives a dub? That decision has always been, and will always be, dependent only on perceived sales potential and/or TV contracts.

Although that sounds like a good idea: A not-for-profit anime dubbing studio funded only by donations that provides dubs for anime licenses free of charge for shows that the fans deem "worthy" but the sales potential says otherwise Smile. I.e. want Emma dubbed, then donate a couple grand per episode (or get your friends to) to this fictitious studio and they'll get it dubbed in time for the DVD Smile.
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
i never did find Seinfeld that funny to begin with so that comparison isn't helping any...

i watched several episodes on fansub and i absolutely loved the lackadaisical mood of the series...and the characters each have their own moods and quirks that compliments each other...the dialogues sometimes do get long but it's well written and very ordinary and yet very whimsical at same time...everyday events as going to school, getting a new cell phone, going to a cafe and such seem so much fun when those 4 get together...

mine got shipped from Rightstuf few days ago but unfortunately i'll have to wait 3 weeks or more to get in...i'm cheap and opted for economy shipping....and i live in Japan....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5