• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fruits Basket GN 19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
It was pretty torturous to endure all that stuff with hardly any mention of Kyo and Tohru, but this volume makes up for all of that with chp. 109. it's just sooooo cute! that is certainly one of my favorite chapters in the series. and i do see some truth in the complaint about the complete turn around from mostly happy to deeply depressing overtones that Furuba has undergone since about volume 6.

Last edited by suna_suna on Wed May 14, 2008 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
i do see some truth in the complaint about the complete turn around from mostly happy to deeply depressing overtones that Furuba has undergone since about volume 6.

The majority of the Zodiac members have had sad lives to greater or lesser extents, but things are looking up for most of them. spoiler[Kyo presumably has one last big hurdle regarding whatever his connection to Kyoko is going to turn out to be, but there's no way Kazuma is going to let him be taken, an increasing number of the Zodiac starting with Momiji are becoming extremely uncomfortable with what's about to happen, and Arisa and Saki are friendly enough with him at this point that they'd more than question his sudden disappearance. There are too many people now who care about what happens to Kyo for him to be confined for any lenght of time - unless he completely self-destructs. ]The spoiler[Shigure-Akito-Kureno ] situation might have to hit rock bottom before it gets better, but aside from that it looks like a fairly happy ending for everyone unless the series takes a hundred degree turn - with one notable exception: spoiler[With no way to fix his situation with his mother and Tohru ending up with Kyo all but inevitable, it looks alot like poor Momiji will get screwed as the token character for whom things won't turn out well.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
A pinnacle turning point in the series. While I did find that the series does not have the humor that it had in the beginning, like the reviewer says it still manages to keep some of it from turning this series into a soapy. That's what it might have looked like a couple of years ago.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
You guys must have read a different book then I did. I found it mostly like the other 4 or 5 volumes before it, but with the slightest punch on the romantic accelerator to make up for lost momentum of those previous books.
Carl wrote:
wealth of wholesome, peripherally-related goodness
That's a nice way to describe filler, I like it.

Quote:
Soaked in tears and mined with bottomless pits of emotional introspection,
That's announcer's speak for naval gazing, which is what I saw. Yeah this volume might be a turning point but the turn is like a train rounding a mountain. The only gripping part of this volume was spoiler[the continuing tension between Kureno and Shiguri whilst Shiguri is stirring the pot he has on the back burner. ]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
− The light tone and many of the characters from the series' beginning have been lost in the shuffle.

Yet didn't this still happen? What justifies that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1