• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - Ayumi Hamasaki: Guilty

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beruda

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
I just bought this album a few weeks ago and while I read what a lot of people think of it (that it was not her best etc.) I absolutely love it. I can't stop listening to it. It sounds so real its heart breaking, I feel like I'm hearing her soul for once. I know she's been through a lot this past year so to get this type of record from her is no surprise. It may not sound like her typical stuff but I don't see anything wrong with that. It's nice to hear some music that has some depth for once.

Good job Ayu!

B.
chinabean

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
where you buy it from?! i want it too! i love the "M" and "powder snow" songgg
Coriander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll give this album a try since I tend to like darker more emotional music. Great review!
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Beruda wrote:
I just bought this album a few weeks ago and while I read what a lot of people think of it (that it was not her best etc.) I absolutely love it. I can't stop listening to it. It sounds so real its heart breaking, I feel like I'm hearing her soul for once. I know she's been through a lot this past year so to get this type of record from her is no surprise. It may not sound like her typical stuff but I don't see anything wrong with that. It's nice to hear some music that has some depth for once.

Good job Ayu!

B.

I think this is an album that will need to grow on me. I went into it expecting to absolutely hate it since a lot of Ayu's older stuff has annoyed the heck out of me. However, I didn't hate it. I didn't love it either but I might come around to it after a couple more listenings.

chinabean wrote:

where you buy it from?! i want it too! i love the "M" and "powder snow" songgg

I'm not sure what songs you are talking about but I buy almost all of my CDs from CD Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
If you're not big on importing, there's always YesAsia which also carries the overseas versions for most releases.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
If you're not big on importing, there's always YesAsia which also carries the overseas versions for most releases.

Well, technically that's still importing seeing as their offices are in Hong Kong, Japan and Korea. YesAsia sometimes has cheaper prices though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Great review, their getting better, and better! I'm actually a bit surprised, I didn't think it would've gone over so well. Ayumi is definitely a great singer but aside from a couple songs like "Fairyland", "Dearest" and "Carols", I could never really go through a whole album. Perhaps, I should look into this one but it's really expensive to import on Amazon, may require some saving up. Laughing

I hope your next article will be on Utada Hikaru's "HEART STATION". I absolutely love the album, and is in the process of delivery right now!
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
Great review, their getting better, and better! I'm actually a bit surprised, I didn't think it would've gone over so well. Ayumi is definitely a great singer but aside from a couple songs like "Fairyland", "Dearest" and "Carols", I could never really go through a whole album. Perhaps, I should look into this one but it's really expensive to import on Amazon, may require some saving up. Laughing

I hope your next article will be on Utada Hikaru's "HEART STATION". I absolutely love the album, and is in the process of delivery right now!

Thank you Anime smile Heart Station is on my list but I haven't quite gotten to it yet.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Zoe wrote:

Well, technically that's still importing seeing as their offices are in Hong Kong, Japan and Korea. YesAsia sometimes has cheaper prices though.

I guess I should say importing the Japanese versions. The overseas versions are susbstantially cheaper.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I bought this a few months back and well, I think its her best album so far.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
So I've been looking at this column since it has started and I've been wondering. Is this column ever going to cover some real anime music or soundtracks rather than just covering super popular Japanese artists everyone knows about? I mean I like Ayumi Hamasaki's music (and my sister is crazy about her), but her connection to anime is very, very little. Not asking to change, just asking if I'm ever to expect something anime related... And yes I know all of the artists so far have had connections to anime, but their connections are very little. I'm talking about artists who are active in the anime scene. Someone like say, Nana Mizuki.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
Singing theme songs is a "little" connection? That makes me wonder what you think a "real" connection is.

I don't currently have plans to cover soundtracks. I'm not saying it'll never happen but it's not on my current list. As I've said in the past, if you would like something covered, make a suggestion and I'll take it into consideration.
chinabean

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote
I got it!

idk the main song i've been listening to is marionette

i listened to the whole cd for like half a day and the only song that really stuck was marionette Confused
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Singing theme songs is a "little" connection? That makes me wonder what you think a "real" connection is.

I don't currently have plans to cover soundtracks. I'm not saying it'll never happen but it's not on my current list. As I've said in the past, if you would like something covered, make a suggestion and I'll take it into consideration.

I'm guess they're talking about the difference between AniSon singers and J-pop singers.

For J-pop singers, anime themes are typically just another tie-up. With AniSon, it feels more connected to the anime.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
I'm guess they're talking about the difference between AniSon singers and J-pop singers.

For J-pop singers, anime themes are typically just another tie-up. With AniSon, it feels more connected to the anime.

Yes, basically. I'm talking about artists who actually create music for anime rather than artists who create music and happen to lend it out to anime for them to use.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2