• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream ADV's Welcome to the NHK

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
This screams of cash flow issues at ADV and desperation. Mad

-Tofu
Clodus

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
While I'm all up for American companies getting more revenues sources but Its as if they are giving approval by turning the other eye to the massive fansubbed titles still on their site. Hell, there are even several licensed by ADV themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
"high-def" was the actual quote if I remember correctly, and reading further it doesn't actually mean HD, just a term for their "high-defination", i.e better quality stream.

I could be wrong though.

Oh and it's only licensed for the UK, US and Canada... So much for moving forward Very Happy
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
While I'm all up for American companies getting more revenues sources but Its as if they are giving approval by turning the other eye to the massive fansubbed titles still on their site. Hell, there are even several licensed by ADV themselves.

What they are doing is tacitly acknowledging that what CR has done and is doing is OK. "Who cares how they got their massive fanbase as long as we can promote our wares!"

Way to go, ADV. I can't wait for your next hypocritical C&D for a fansub site (*cough* tokyo "library" *cough*)

-Tofu
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
ADV caved in. Alexa rules the day after all. Laughing
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In a separate development, Crunchyroll is planning to stream the next episodes of The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk and Blassreiter in high-definition immediately after the Japanese airing, as opposed to a few hours later, to people who contribute US$5.00.

Will any of that extra money be going back to the Japanese companies...?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

-Tofu

If what I've been hearing from folks is even half true, you're more right than you could imagine.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:

Oh and it's only licensed for the UK, US and Canada... So much for moving forward Very Happy

Depending on how they've got things set up, that's not a problem for the rest of the world either.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
what the hell? what happend to their own anime network?

this can't be good news.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
We're doomed.
Why not youtube? or Veoh? Something....

And do we put in our own prices again? By that I mean nothing?
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

If Alexa ruled the day, the R1 world would be all over DB as well. Its traffic is almost half of CR's these days and almost 3/4 of ANN's.

-Tofu
artgeek707

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I am I CR member and had heard this was really good and wanted to watch it. They only have the first 2 episodes up right now but let me tell you I've been hooked. This is a series I'd be willing to buy and watch over and over again
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

-Tofu

At the very least I'll agree it seems a bit odd. The general assumption was digital distribution providing fast 'cross-pacific' airing of subbed programs, with dubbed retail down the line a bit. Here you've got the dubbed retail provider itself going back to digital distribution; that seems a backwards process flow.

Market-wise, it seems an odd choice to put the dubbed version out there for free. Isn't the sub-only supposed to entice one particular crowd, and give incentive to the dubbed retail release (which often targets another) a few months down the line? The vast majority of Crunchyroll's user-ship are probably far from being regular purchasers to begin with, so ADV has given away for free it's most compelling retail point (dub) for it's licensed version.

ADV seems to have little to gain here, as stated above it's unlikely giving away your dub version to an already low-purchasing base is anything more than a sales-inducing long-shot. Hail Mary 4th and 35 from your own end-zone kinda long-shot. For whatever it's worth, ADV also loses any sort of 'High Ground' in complaining about piracy/fan-subs. That's a lot to give for a long-shot, unless they (ADV) are indeed literally hanging on by a thread.

'Crunchyroll' is the huge winner here. Not in terms of the actual show, they've got plenty, and have already probably had the sub's up at some point. It's a win because it's a huge shot in the arm for them PR/'going legit' wise. The chance to put the feather of an American licensor in their cap is worth it's weight in gold in soliciting further investment money and appealing to other anime industry players. Before they had scraps from a Japanese licensee who was pushing the properties to any outlet they could, now they have, of all things, an American licensor coming to them hat in hand. Big, big PR win.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

If Alexa ruled the day, the R1 world would be all over DB as well. Its traffic is almost half of CR's these days and almost 3/4 of ANN's.

-Tofu

But DB's not legit so there you have it. Laughing

By the way, that was gross overestimation of DB's traffic. You need to recheck that data.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Thu May 22, 2008 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But DB's not legit so there you have it. Laughing

I hope that was tongue in cheek Smile

-Tofu
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4