• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Washington Middle Schoolers Disciplined over "Death Note"

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Well the expulsion is just ridiculous. Once you see the name Paris Hilton in the freakin book you should know by then not to take it seriously. Also, if there's no threat why would someone get expelled??
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The article doesn't mention why only 1 of them was expelled, while the other 3 were merely suspended. Makes me wonder. Did the one expelled have a previous history of offenses or something?
fullmetal_shorty22

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I am getting tired of these stupid kids doing things like this. "Death Note" is just a fictional anime series, I wonder what goes through their heads when they write the names in the notebook? Do they actually think the people will die? Why do the parents even let their children watch a show that right before the show starts adult swim says "some material may not be suitable for some ages" isn't that what parental lock on the t.v. is for?

Last edited by fullmetal_shorty22 on Sat May 24, 2008 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gingy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
So...is it just the Americans that are like this...or is the rest of the world this anal as well? So far most of the Death note problems have been in America, with arrests anyways. The only other death note controversy was in China I think, but there its just gov't people wanting to ban it...NO ONE got arrested there for playing a completely HARMLESS prank. Kids do it all the time in elementary school before death notes existed anyways
So has this ever happened in any other parts of the world?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow.........USA....the land of all possibilities......for real....ANYTHING can happen here.....even the most stupid and retarded stuff. It's a FREAKING NOTEBOOK! What are they afraid of? That it will work?
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Blah blah blah.

We should start running a bet. $50 says another similar incident'll occur within the next 2 months.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Another asinine stunt by utterly idiotic high school kids, and another talkback thread full of the incensed masses who don't see anything wrong with making death threats. I guess it's that time of the month again.
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
ROFL! Paris Hilton?! I wonder why they wanted to kill her.... "She did a sex tape, so she must face justice!" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

On a more serious note, if these kids thought that the point of Death Note was to show how "cool," "awesome," and "righteous" it was to kill people, then they obviously missed the point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wow.........USA....the land of all possibilities......for real....ANYTHING can happen here.....even the most stupid and retarded stuff. It's a FREAKING NOTEBOOK! What are they afraid of? That it will work?

Keep in mind that there have been many school killing sprees in the past decade or so in the U.S, all followed by criticisms that school officials failed to catch the warning signs that could have prevented the various tragedies. Current school policies are to seriously examine any threat made against students or faculty, including possible hit lists.

As silly as it may sound, I would bet that even the Secret Service was notified by someone at some point due to Bush's name being found in the book as well.
Hegemonic

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
ROFL! Paris Hilton?! I wonder why they wanted to kill her.... "She did a sex tape, so she must face justice!" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

On a more serious note, if these kids thought that the point of Death Note was to show how "cool," "awesome," and "righteous" it was to kill people, then they obviously missed the point.

I think it would be pretty hard for these kids to actually get the point at all. Laughing

Last edited by Hegemonic on Sat May 24, 2008 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
They deserved it.
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Colombini sent the following telephone message to the parents of his school's 620 students on May 15:

“Recently, an event at Kopachuck has raised safety awareness to an even higher level. A few students wrote some fear-provoking notes in a published book, and the matter has been thoroughly investigated. There is no credible threat to the school, students or staff.”

Troyer added, "This is typical Japanese horror movie stuff and is not a credible threat. We see how it could upset parents, but the appropriate actions have taken place, and there is no threat." The school's district superintendent, Terry Bouck, said that such a book is inappropriate for school, but declined to say that books like these will be banned. A father of one student who was suspended for three days said that the book was an outlet for frustration from about two years of bullying.

Well at least their not all 'ZOMG!!! teh anime is making our kids evil!!!' in fact the response seems a lot tamer then some of the other schools.
Bu:Ru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
everybody_loves_hypnotoad wrote:
They deserved it.

Wha? It was 4 stupid kids writing some names in a notebook, all for a stupid joke! I can't believe they got in trouble for that.

Ughh, what IS this country coming to?!

And what's your reasoning on the matter?!
AvZeroMkA157

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
In Asia, anime related products are treated as brand or collector items. As a result, they cost a lot more than usual. Only people with disposable allowance or income will go out of their way and get them.

In the US, you can get all sorts of Deathnote items and accessories cheap. As a result, such incidents are far more prevalent.
Onikuno

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
C'MON! Just a few more incidents like this and Anime will get the national media attention it deserves! Ah, it'll be the 1990's all over again.

Dateline NBC: Anime causes cancer!

20/20: Big-eyed Japanese Cartoons rape puppies!

In all seriousness, nothing will happen unless someone ACTUALLY dies. Just IMAGINE the media backlash if someone gets killed and they find one of those notebooks with a victims name in it.

Then anime fandom will return to the underground from whence it came. Convention attendance will plumit. And all that will remain are the 20 and 30 year old fans that only watch stuff from the 1980s and early 90s.....wait is that a bad thing? I just might be on to something Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8