• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Haripota Hogwarts Cram School

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Great review Mr. Santos, three of those titles seemed interesting (Cowa, Toto and the magic school one)

However, I agree completely with the review of HunterXHunter, but wasn't able to continue this series after a while because of the gore and violence. I truly did enjoy HunterXHunter spoiler[until volume 19]

This series wasn't ever boring or such, but I recomend anyone who reads this series to be prepared to see images that rival When They Cry Higurashi or Elven Lied.

Thank you for the great review Mr. Santos.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still amazed that Tite Kubo is coming to Comic-Con!

...Is that a "good" amazed or a "bad" amazed? lulz Wink

I read the first bit of Toto! in the back of PiQ's third issue and was kind of interested in reading more. Didn't even think of Oz either. Smile Sounds like it could be a fun adventure series even though I'm reading Fairy Tail right now. Then again, according to the Encyclopedia, it's only two volumes long so there's not much needed to spend. But that may just hurt the story because of the lack of room (which already seems to be happening in vol. 1).

I also previewed Pastel once and am glad I never picked it up. Sounds dull.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Quote:
Still amazed that Tite Kubo is coming to Comic-Con!

...Is that a "good" amazed or a "bad" amazed? lulz Wink

A good amazed, we can finally ask him why it's called Bleach! Laughing

If you're already on Fairy Tail I'd recommend sticking with that over Toto. They're very alike but Toto just doesn't seem to know what to do with itself.
scortia

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Hurray for the props for Hunter x Hunter - truly the best shounen most otaku have never read. I'm overjoyed the anime is coming out on dvd soon. It's about time. I think its so over looked because it doesn't have the obvious-grit you get in Bleach and Naruto. The lead is a young optimistic boy and his adventures, but there's also many adult situations rotating in and out as well. Hell, Hisoka is an "adult situation" that can alone trump any other. ^^;

I didn't realize the English version had translated Yorkshin to Yorknew. Hehe. That takes some getting used to, but it is a logical translation.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know who Yuko Osad is. But is it just more or does Kakashi in Toto look like a carbon copy of the Gurrean Langan (sp) guy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mirri

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
I also agree with the Hunter x Hunter review. Also overjoyed that it's going to be released on DVD, as someone said earlier. I am a huge fan of Hunter x Hunter. The name translations going a different way than the fan translations kind of bugged me, but they sound just about the same and are probably closer to what was intended.

The Yorkshin to Yorknew bugged me the most, I could've sworn they would just translate it as "New York". I guess real world locations other than Japan can't get advertisement in Hunter x Hunter.
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
One thing that I notices... This column now give the credits for its banner :

Quote:

Bleach © Tite Kubo
Hellsing © Kouta Hirano
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya © 2006 Nagaru Tanigawa / Noizi Ito / member of SOS

As for the manga, the only one that I've read is Toto. I must say, while it is not bad, it is also not great either. In later volumes Kakashi will soon find his purpose of journey, and yep, it's more or less the 'collect X great treasures' type.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When it's good, Togashi's artwork is fantastic, but when it's bad, you have to squint at the page to guess which blob's which and what that squiggle over there represents.

I always wondered why they couldn't fix the artwork up with a "ghost artist" of sorts. The visual quality of the manga really does go downhill.

My heart goes out to Togashi and his family. He obviously is very ill. But, (here is where I sound totally selfish), I sure hope he is able to finish the Hunter x Hunter series. I really love it and his previous series, Yu Yu Hakusho, and own all the Viz volumes of both series that have been released so far. He really is a great storyteller.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
I also agree with the Hunter x Hunter review. Also overjoyed that it's going to be released on DVD, as someone said earlier. I am a huge fan of Hunter x Hunter. The name translations going a different way than the fan translations kind of bugged me, but they sound just about the same and are probably closer to what was intended.

The Yorkshin to Yorknew bugged me the most, I could've sworn they would just translate it as "New York". I guess real world locations other than Japan can't get advertisement in Hunter x Hunter.

Actually, the world in Hunter x Hunter is different than ours. The continents are flipped, although similarities are present. Also, "shin" is a Japanese word for "new." The reference would be obvious to someone Japanese, but not to anyone who doesn't know the language. Therefore, they changed it to Yorknew--pretty much the exact same thing.

Also, Viz's name translations for Hunter x Hunter are indeed closer to what Togashi intended for many of the names. The names of the chimera ants are especially correct, if you do a little digging.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
good amazed, we can finally ask him why it's called Bleach! Laughing

For some reason, I was under the impression this had to do with Ichigo's hair (i.e. "bleached" orange). Confused
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Patachu wrote:
good amazed, we can finally ask him why it's called Bleach! Laughing

For some reason, I was under the impression this had to do with Ichigo's hair (i.e. "bleached" orange). Confused

Same here. I thought it was because of some characters' mistaken assumption that Ichigo's hair was bleached.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Personally, I roll with the "Bleach is an album by Nirvana" theory, since I like to imagine Kubo-sensei being a badass rocker dude who picks names just because he likes 'em. Wink

Plus I swear I saw that reasoning in an interview somewhere, but I can't find it anymore...
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the Cowa! preview in this months issue of Shonen Jump. Too bad it won't be serialized in the magazine. I would take it over Bobobo any day of the week Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Personally, I roll with the "Bleach is an album by Nirvana" theory, since I like to imagine Kubo-sensei being a badass rocker dude who picks names just because he likes 'em. Wink

Plus I swear I saw that reasoning in an interview somewhere, but I can't find it anymore...

Actually I have a speulation as to why Bleach is named Bleach. After reading the Viz Media translation of Blech for several years now, I've noticed something about this series. There is frequent useuage of deep psychogical meanings. Be this may only be speulation, I belive the title means "To clense thy self of inhabition and to strenghten determination".

In all seriousness, I doubt the series is named after Ichigo's hair. But then again Tite Kubo is quite creative, so that may also be the case as well.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

From what I understand, Kubo mentioned being a Nirvana fan in an interview, but never specifically said that it was their album that gave him the idea for the name. Of course, this info is all second-hand, as I didn't myself read the specific interviews being referred to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2