• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa, YouTube to Share Ads on User-Generated Videos

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
O_O So you can get money from making anything involving anime, such that as an AMV as long as Kadokawa approves??
bobber205

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
About time! Anime smile
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
They talked about this on the May episode of The*Netstar. Videos that are approved by Kadokawa will get a marking on the side of the video indicating their approval and that they are the copyright holder.

The majority of videos probably will not get approval. It felt like they are going to do this to the higher quality MADs.

Edit: Separated opinion and fact.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:
O_O So you can get money from making anything involving anime, such that as an AMV as long as Kadokawa approves??

I doubt most crappy AMV's will be approved however. They did use the term MAD, which tend to usually be better quality videos.
Jaziek

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
do kadokawa own the rights to naruto or dbz? 'cos they're the only 2 anime that get the insane amount of amv treatment that would be necessary to actually generate some money from adverts aimed at the tube-tards.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Let other people do the advertising for them....yep that's a Kadokawa maneuver.
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Something similar to this happened to me recently. Several months ago I uploaded the official English trailer for the Death Note movie to my YouTube account. Then a week before the movie hit theaters (when my vid was getting tons of hits & comments), I got an email from YouTube saying that the studio claimed copyright ownership, but instead of taking it down would be placing advertising on the page instead. & sure enough, that's what happened.

So hey, it's definitely better then taking the videos down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, this is quite the development! So, Kadokawa is essentially using AMVs as advertising materials? This is VERY interesting news indeed. I'm unsure of where this may be headed, but I'm very interested in keeping an eye on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leatherman

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense, Kadokawa gets free advertising, youtube gets add revenue, and the user doesn't have their video removed. However, I can just hear the morons screaming "But that's my work!" regardless of the fact that they are using other peoples work to create the material.
crilix

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The term "MAD" has been around for quite some time now... Although it just barely caught on in the English community.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
That's great to finally hear something like this. It only makes sense to be able to make some sort of money off of footage of yours that people use for their own videos without your permission while avoiding legal action (and costs). It's free advertisement, only that you get something in return.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan888

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Good idea, should work well, though perhaps a couple issues.

First, probably the biggest problem is that unless Kadokawa has the rights to both the music and the footage shown in the video, there may be issues because of it. I would argue that a video that uses a full length song and just clips from shows would be in greater violation of the rights of the song owner.

The other issue is the possibility of wrongly marked videos, either because it would fall under fair use or something that does not fall under their stuff they would have rights too.

Though both above problems are fixed if the videos they share profits from are marked in that way.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
But MADs can be extremely complicated and beautiful creations. So it's the cream of the crop that's being retained on YouTube with financial benefits and incentives for the creators. It's nice that they can finally come out from hiding now.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I am just glad Kadokawa is able to make some extra money. Because they are involved in several anime series, so this is good for them.

I just hope they only allow the best of the best and ignore the cut and paste video's that constantly foat around on the internet.

The economy isn't great, so power to Youtube and Kadokawa for steping out of the box.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Are "tube-tards" like "crunchyrollers"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2