• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Share A Picture of your Manga Collection.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Althalus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
elloshiions wrote:
what are the titles for the ones on the bottom of the shelf? i was curious once i saw it and just wanted to know what the were.

Those are "Daisuki", the German equivalent of "Shojo Beat", the first 5 years of it (plus the first year of "Banzai", the "Shonen Jump" equivalent, which was discontinued about a year ago).

elloshiions wrote:
it seems some of your titles aren't serialized as the ones in US, like kare kano, etc. are they still in english, or another language?

There's a lot of German editions, but also a lot of French ones. Personally, I'd say, the French have the best (or at least most diverse) licenses, these days.

pixieluv23 wrote:
Anyway, I just want to ask what kind of case/box/cabinet you used on the fourth picture?

That's a storage space under a primitive version of a sofa bed. The manga are right under the part where you can sit:

pixieluv23 wrote:
And where did you get that big black box on the fifth one? I'm hoping they're not from overseas Anime cry

I'm not quite sure. I thought I got it from IKEA, but they either discontinued it or I'm wrong. It's a lot like this, only about 1'' larger in every dimension (unfortunately the IKEA box is just that one inch too small for two rows of manga). You could try this instead, which is much larger, but can accommodate two rows of manga (I have no idea how sturdy this one is, though).

~Althalus
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote

Razz Razz Razz

im too lazy to take a picture of mine (also because i will be horibally outclassed) so here is mine Rolling Eyes its slightly big
raven369

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Here's my manga collection. As you can see my bookshelf is way too small so I had to stack all of my Berserk manga.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ravenous369/manga_collection.jpg
Highway Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Not bad Raven, good to see fellow Dead End/Smuggler fans here. BLAME! and Eden are also awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
raven369 wrote:
Here's my manga collection. As you can see my bookshelf is way too small so I had to stack all of my Berserk manga.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ravenous369/manga_collection.jpg

That's the start of a very good collection, all great manga.

@Althalus: Since you have a lot of different manga from all over, I have to ask you something, between North American edition and French edition which do you think is best in term of quality? I kept saying the French are the best, but I have very few N-A volumes and I can't really compare for myself (but when I can, I always check how they sound effects are handled first). And by the way, just how many language can you read?
Althalus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Since you have a lot of different manga from all over, I have to ask you something, between North American edition and French edition which do you think is best in term of quality? I kept saying the French are the best, but I have very few N-A volumes and I can't really compare for myself (but when I can, I always check how they sound effects are handled first).

Well, if you like dust jackets, you'll have to go with French. In the US and Germany, there are no dust jackets. The French have them, just like the Japanese. I like dust-jackets, so I often choose French editions, even if there are others, but they can also become a problem. Some French publishers have recurring problems with misfolded jackets. Very annoying and bad for mail-ordering.

Regarding to print quality and translation: that depends a lot on the publisher. There seems to be no general rule, although there are tendencies.

There are one or two small French publishers that had horrible cases of moirée in their releases, but the majority of French publishers seem to have nicer paper and better printing than many German or US publishers. Some translate soundwords, some don't. It's a question of budget and preference.

I'd say it's less likely for a French (or even German) release to be re-written or edited/censored to be age-appropriate than in the US. At least I can't recall any recent debates about edits or changes in any French manga offhand.

Monsieur Pink wrote:
And by the way, just how many language can you read?

German, English and French. A good bit of Dutch, a tad of Spanish. I tried Japanese, but gave up soon. I didn't have the necessary time and patience for serious kanji-studying and kana alone don't get you very far.

~Althalus
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
It sure is interesting looking at other countries' editions of various manga. I also like how the spine art lines up nicely for some, why don't more companies do that?

Well, here's mine. There's a giant gap where my Death Note 1-12 would be (currently lent out), but I think that's everything otherwise. I've had to stack them vertically and two deep in some places in order to get everything on my shelves. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of room to add on here, and just rely on these five shelves.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:

>Strawberry Marshmallow Volume 1
>Strawberry Marshmallow Volume 2
>Strawberry Marshmallow Volume 4
>Strawberry Marshmallow Volume 3

Σ(゜д゜;)
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Hey, I managed to stack them all together at least Wink

(slowly steps over to his manga shelves to make a few adjustments, checking for other anomalies...)

The Alive books are out of order too, but in my defense, I just finished volume 4. The different Someday's Dreamers series don't seem to agree in their alignment either.

Yes, I care about that Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pork Cracklins

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
It's cool to see the collections of others. In fact thanks to this thread I've found some mangas I want to check out. Here's my humble collection, just started really collecting around the end of last year. I still have tons of manga I want to get. Very Happy

gundamlion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
These collections are great! I'm applying for a job soon so that should help with my own anime and manga (and video game Anime catgrin ) collections. Even better, Im applying to Barnes and Noble, so that'll help too! Very Happy
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd take a picture of my manga collection, but my room is several miles away... Luckily, I found a picture of my entire collection on Google images, though!

Sad It's not a very impressive collection...
Truered

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
I've got back home from university and had a sort out, so here is my manga collection. Battle Royale 1-15 are in a storage box as I ran out of space Embarassed

Here's the small shelf
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/trueredesu/DCP_4786.jpg

Here's my former bookshelf
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/trueredesu/DCP_4782.jpg

And my former DVD shelf
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/trueredesu/DCP_4780.jpg

Been collecting for about a year and a half, but the last few months I haven't brought much manga.
Teuvan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote

Behold the chair of manga. 400+ volumes in total.
Emichan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I love Shoujo Manga Smile

Here is my collection (Click on the picture to go a larger version):

The current count is about 2600 volumes. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 38