• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Washington School is Calm 3 Weeks After "Death Note"

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
What I don't get is they repeatedly say "there was no real threat", so why was one kid expelled?

Furthermore, why is this news?
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
Yey, no big deal, move on. I like that.

As for the expelled kid, considering the that school district seems to be handling the rest of it pretty conservatively-- no crying out about the evils of Japanese manga-- I guess I imagine that there were other circumstances that we aren't aware of. In such a case, it's really none of our business.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
OMG Anime and Manga are gonna get bann3d!! Stupid kids don't know what fantasy and reality is!!! I can't believe the school went so overboard on all of this!! Frickin morons!@!

Oh wait... Rolling Eyes I guess the school actually DID know what they were doing.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
We don't know if the kid reportedly expelled had any priors, and if he did, then there may be reason for the school to wash their hands of the kid. If this incident by itself was worthy of expulsion, then the perpetrator needs counseling more than a time out.

Anyway, crisis prevention works, and that's good news. And kudos to the school administrators for acknowledging the situation for what it was: J-horror bunk.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
That's nice. Calm schools make for better institutions of education.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
This is why we have ratings for manga, obviously Death Note isn't family friendly. And yet we wonder why kids these days are so violent and unfriendly. This is why parents should see what their child is reading/doing these days.

If that kid actually went through with that plan, he would be locked up for a very long time.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If that kid actually went through with that plan, he would be locked up for a very long time.

Nah, he would probably be dead. I can't think of any school shooters who get a trial, they usually kill themselves.

On a related note, this whole "he" thing has been bothering me, and I know, I'm doing it too. At least two of the punished kids were girls, and I don't think they ever specified if the one expelled was a boy or girl.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Do you mean the plan to magically end lives by writing names in a Shinigami's notebook? Otherwise, as far as I understood, no plan was mentioned.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I was told a kid from my school was suspended for having a Death Note. The kid who told me was pretty mad but I thought it was hilarious. I mean, I'll admit, I have a notebook with 'Death Note' written on it . . . I cosplayed Kira two years ago. I'd never be an idiot and bring it to school and write teacher's names in it though. Expulsion may be pretty harsh [unless, as people said, the kid had prior discipline problems] but those kids who got suspended deserved it.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
*shrugs.*

After the whole expulsion situation, I think there could've been another reason for that too.

Worst case scenario, the student could've been alienated from the class. If a classmate did find his/her name on the book, he/she could have probably planned to attack the alleged student after school, or worse, confronted by an angry parent.

Even adults can do some crazy stuff, He could've even be put in danger...

Though, that's just me, I'm just wondering if anyone would've thought of it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The whole situation was absurd- to see a "Death Note" as a legitimate threat toward students was a stretch. We've become a nation of paranoid cowards.

Anyway, why's this a story? Are we now going to get regular updates on this school? "One year later, school recovered from Death Note incident"? "Five year anniversary of Death Note school incident"? What qualifies it for a follow up so far after the fact?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Alright, seriously guys, this is going to stop. From here on out, the next time I see someone rant on "why is this news?" or "why is this on here?" then I'm just going to delete that post. If the article has no relevance to you or you don't care about it then don't read it, and certainly don't comment on it.

If you somehow think the method news is selected and written on the site needs a revision and you're the one to do it, then try and take it up with the admins, but leave it out of the articles discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Nah, he would probably be dead. I can't think of any school shooters who get a trial, they usually kill themselves.

Well, there was Brenda Ann Spencer, but she was an unusual case. The usual prototype of a school shooter is some alienated boy making disastrously poor judgment calls on how to work out typical adolescent frustrations. Spencer, from what I've heard, was completely out of touch with reality- her reasoning for gunning down other students was literally "I hate Mondays, let's kill people." There's also the numerous street gang members who settle scores or resolve "business disputes" in the halls, but they somehow don't count because their ghetto kids...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1