• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop, Creators Send Updates about Restructuring

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry for those who got fired. Hope you can find a equal or better job! Anime smile

as for the reactions, I found Rivkah's to be the most like my opinion. Plus she's getting paid for the third book of her series whether it comes out or not, so at least tokyopop isn't totally screwing all of their creators over.

And Svetlana Chmakova gets to animate another series, thus adding another soon-to-be hit creation to her resume. *sigh*
sykoeent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I still think it is a bad idea to pull out of Comic-Con. There are a lot of customers and fans there and every other manga company is being represented. TokyoPop SHOULD be there.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Conventions have long been a place where artists and publishers have met fans face to face. It's an open forum to communicate with with their fans and customers. TokyoPop's base has a lot of questions for them and they seem to be backing away from forums to answer them in.

Of course TokyoPop have never been convention regulars. Hell, at Anime Boston I saw a small Vertical Inc booth. ADV was there too. Not to mention a number of anime companies. No TokyoPop. I've only seen them have a booth at Otakon years ago.

Why is TokyoPop avoiding fans? Does it really cost that much to at least send a rep with a small booth? I would think it costs a lot more in public appearance to fans not to.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Why is TokyoPop avoiding fans? Does it really cost that much to at least send a rep with a small booth? I would think it costs a lot more in public appearance to fans not to.

Stu is blowing the con budget on paying off Courtney Love.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
And Courtney love is blowing that money on... wait.. I thought she went to rehab for that.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Though really, of all the singers to make into a princesses for teenage girls, who in their right mind picked her? Let alone to launch your company's flagship original publishing line on.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Does it really cost that much to at least send a rep with a small booth?

Maybe not. But if you've just axed all of your PR staff...

I suppose "DJ Milky" himself could go out and mingle with the masses but do you really want to inflict that on the con-going people of America? Wink
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
So, how popular is Princess Ai, anyway?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
Do you mean in reality or in the mind of 'DJ Milky'?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

I'm still wondering if those Princess Ai cosplayers in the back of one of those books were either genuinely interested in cosplaying her, or were just paid models.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

Out of the entire internet, in the entire history of the series, I've only heard of two people who'd even read it.

Compared to the half-dozen or so people I've connected with over Ninja Cadets, either I'm hanging out on the wrong corner of the internet or Princess Ai isn't exactly the ~*INtERinaTIonal SupersEriES*~ it gets hyped as sometimes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Does it really cost that much to at least send a rep with a small booth? I would think it costs a lot more in public appearance to fans not to.

The Beat wrote:
Honestly, I’m happy this happened. I was expecting bankruptcy by November 2007. Instead, for perhaps the first time ever, Tokyopop has made the right move by cutting back on how much spagetti they throw at the wall to see what sticks. I don’t doubt the turmoil will take several months to settle down and many of us creators will be cut, but from a business perspective, this means that in the long run, they could potentially be better off. They cut back also by deciding not to exhibit at San Diego or Anime Expo which means less time spent going to conventions and more time focusing on actual creative material; it’s the little things that count, and when employees run up a thousand dollar tab just on drinks, that hurts not just the company but the creators as well.
Apparently yes.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
Well, here's hoping the ones running up the tab were the ones that were dropped and not just others who had to be dropped for such excess.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Hey, it can be really hot in those dealer's rooms at cons.
Those Tokyopop employees needed to keep themselves properly hydrated! That's why they must have drank... uh... 500... uh... bottles of water?

Okay, nevermind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1