• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Strawberry Fields

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Wow.

When I was in the 6th grade, my teacher had a wall full of paperback young-adult novels for borrowing. I read maybe 40 or so books that year... (Effected my grades pretty bad though, I almost failed every non-English class. I blame my high reading comprehension, interest in history, and lack of math skills on that teacher.)

But I think that this shelf obsessed comes pretty close to topping that on the awesomeness factor.

Oh, and for Strawberry Panic... I found it extremely boring. I was kind of expecting a perishable for it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
That's awesome what she's doing. Kudos to her!
matthewlow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm not the only one who does this.

I'm a high school teacher too [math]; a whole corner of my classroom was decorated with anime wall scrolls and posters and plushies and the like. Students would come in to watch anime they requested at lunch and/or read manga, as I had an Excel file with what I owned and would bring whatever they wanted upon request.

That resulted in a huge stack of Naruto volumes behind my desk after lots of requests and come to think of it, my Fruits Basket collection is still missing...

Stamping homework with a Sharingan or Leaf symbol stamp is win. Along with Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, and other randomly themed quizzes/tests... and watching Case Closed in class, because deductive reasoning = math Smile.

Perhaps next year I should look into dedicating a shelf to it. Then at least I wouldn't have to keep bringing them back and forward...

Great idea, I like it!
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed the first volume of Strawberry Panic. One bonus not mentioned is that this first volume contains 6 episodes for $15(at BestBuy). The only thing I found a little disconcerting was how aggressive the Etoile was towards Aoi. I just picked up volume 2 this weekend, so I'll be enjoying that soon.

Regarding the picture. I'm a little surprised the school is allowing her to do that. Especially having those distracting posters Rolling Eyes displayed in the classroom. I am glad it's being allowed; just surprised is all.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
I expected a scathing "Perishable" from Bamboo on StoPani... I'm very, VERY surprised. Just goes to show you no matter who the target audience is, you can always view any given show in a different way.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:16 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I personally enjoyed the first volume of Strawberry Panic. One bonus not mentioned is that this first volume contains 6 episodes for $15(at BestBuy). The only thing I found a little disconcerting was how aggressive the Etoile was towards Aoi. I just picked up volume 2 this weekend, so I'll be enjoying that soon.

Regarding the picture. I'm a little surprised the school is allowing her to do that. Especially having those distracting posters Rolling Eyes displayed in the classroom. I am glad it's being allowed; just surprised is all.

Given the current state of our society, where kids hardly read but instead play games constantly or go online, I suspect this is allowed because it means the kids are indeed reading something. I mean that's why growing up my father always bought me whatever comics I wanted. He figured while it's not Charles Dickens material it still meant I was actually using my brain and reading and not just playing my Sega Genesis. Personally I think it's a great idea. It helps the students to read, gives them a common interest to share between themselves, and the teacher can use it as a reward system for good behavior/grades in class. An example: if everyone in class gets a C/B or higher on the test on Thursday then on Friday we can watch an episode of "X" in class. Something like that.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
Darn you, Bamboo - getting your copy of Death Note Vol. #5 before the rest of us! For shame! Very Happy

In regards to the Shelf Obsessed picture, any method that encourages kids to read - whether it's manga, classic literature, or the like - is always a good thing. So my kudos to her and for matthewlow for doing an awesome thing for their students.

I've been holding my copy of Strawberry Panic Vol. #1 "hostage" for a good month now. Theron's review of it wasn't too encouraging, but maybe Bamboo's take on it will entice me to watch it sometime this week.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
In regards to the Shelf Obsessed picture, any method that encourages kids to read - whether it's manga, classic literature, or the like - is always a good thing. So my kudos to her and for matthewlow for doing an awesome thing for their students.

I'm definitely a geezer now, but I've read comics since I was a kid. In fact, I freaked out my visiting grandparents when I was 4, because they didn't believe I could actually read a comic book. Later, elementary school tested my vocabulary & found it was greater than my age level. "How did you do this?" "Uhh, well, I read a lot of comics..."
While the content should be supervised for the age level (Japan doesn't coddle their kids & things like nudity don't freak them out, whereas U.S. parents would have a cow), this is a great idea. Anything that encourages reading or is extra motivation to make learning in the classroom fun can't be bad!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:

While the content should be supervised for the age level (Japan doesn't coddle their kids & things like nudity don't freak them out, whereas U.S. parents would have a cow), this is a great idea. Anything that encourages reading or is extra motivation to make learning in the classroom fun can't be bad!

I agree with you on that one. I think anything that can help kids read or to make school fun for them is always a plus for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
I guess I'm not the only one who does this.

I'm a high school teacher too [math]; a whole corner of my classroom was decorated with anime wall scrolls and posters and plushies and the like. Students would come in to watch anime they requested at lunch and/or read manga, as I had an Excel file with what I owned and would bring whatever they wanted upon request.

That resulted in a huge stack of Naruto volumes behind my desk after lots of requests and come to think of it, my Fruits Basket collection is still missing...

Stamping homework with a Sharingan or Leaf symbol stamp is win. Along with Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, and other randomly themed quizzes/tests... and watching Case Closed in class, because deductive reasoning = math Smile.

Perhaps next year I should look into dedicating a shelf to it. Then at least I wouldn't have to keep bringing them back and forward...

Great idea, I like it!

Assuming you actually are a teacher, what about the students that don't like anime, know about anime or parents won't let them watch anime? Aren't you worried parents will complain that you make the classroom seem like a club room rather than a educational facilitiy?

Also, as interesting and fun Case Closed is, what if your boss or one of your students parent walked in your classroom? I know I wouldn't want my kid watching anime instead of learning and studying. Education and fun don't mix together.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Education and fun don't mix together.

Excuse me, but some people do have fun while learning. Just because you don't/didn't doesn't mean its the same for every person. That's a very narrow-minded statement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
matthewlow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've thought of that. Hence why you wouldn't see something like Naruto being played in class, but yet Case Closed you could argue for, seeing one of the standards for Algebra:

24.0 Students use and know simple aspects of a logical argument:

24.1 Students explain the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning and identify and provide examples of each.

24.2 Students identify the hypothesis and conclusion in logical deduction. 24.3 Students use counterexamples to show that an assertion is false and recognize that a single counterexample is sufficient to refute an assertion.

Geometry standards:
1.0 Students demonstrate understanding by identifying and giving examples of undefined terms, axioms, theorems, and inductive and deductive reasoning.

Besides, I showed them on the day before Christmas break and the day before Spring break after everyone was done with their quiz. No student wants to do anything on those days ANYWAY... and yes, I even had one period refuse to watch it and decided to have a party against my policy. Can't argue for a party to be any better than Case Closed...

It was a toss up; some students loved it, while others hated it. It also depended on which episode I showed it seemed; most students hated the Diner episode (where you meet Eri/Eva, Ran/Rachel's mom for the first time) and the Train Trick episode, but rather liked the body switching brothers episode. Of course I screened each to make sure nothing slightly objectionable was in each. Each period got a different episode, and I had students coming in from following periods excited that the BONUS/Extra Credit on the quiz was going to be "fun". And yes, I gave extra credit for anyone who came close to finding the solution.

I wrote it as an "educational exercise/reward" on my lesson plan I passed off to the AP and it didn't get questioned, and even passed off the idea to my mentor and she said it was fine, especially seeing about 50% [give or take] of teachers give a party on the last day before break anyway...

If I can get my pictures of my classroom off my phone I'd post them... and yes, I was actually quite surprised my posters passed the APs approval too. Actually, one AP came in my room, saw my Eureka 7 poster, and asked if he could borrow my Eureka 7 Soundtracks...
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Also, as interesting and fun Case Closed is, what if your boss or one of your students parent walked in your classroom? I know I wouldn't want my kid watching anime instead of learning and studying. Education and fun don't mix together.

Education and fun don't mix together? What world are you living in? A good teacher is one who can make learning enjoyable.
We had a teacher who decorated the walls with plastic rats, Braveheart posters, and had a Ho Chi Minh watch, because it was all relevant to the classes she was teaching (Social Studies, and History) She would often bring in songs that were connected to what we were learning (eg the Boney M song Rasputin for the Russian Revolution lesson), and after explaining the historical relevance of the lyrics to the songs, she would have us do a song-face off, girls vs. boys, and whichever side sang loudest won. Hell, she would sometimes have the librarian come in, so they could show us their dance routine, and the whole class would end up singing and dancing, and yes, learning at the same time.
Same with other classes, in German class, we watched Run Lola Run, and the Sound of Music. French class, we watched French videos. One of my teachers was a former NHL player, and he decided for fun (for those hockey fans) that he would show an old hockey game that he played in.
If a principal, or a parent was going to make a big stink because a teacher is being creative in their lessons by showing videos and listening to songs, and making it relate to the lesson at hand, then they are clearly uppity jerks.
Like the others said, the mark of a good teacher is one who is willing to think of different ways to make kids interested in learning. If reading comic books and watching cartoons will get a kid interested in reading, history, or learning new languages, then so be it.
Also, that review of Strawberry Panic is a little encouraging. I might have to pick up that series once the whole thing has been released.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
Yeah, I've thought of that. Hence why you wouldn't see something like Naruto being played in class, but yet Case Closed you could argue for, seeing one of the standards for Algebra:

24.0 Students use and know simple aspects of a logical argument:

24.1 Students explain the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning and identify and provide examples of each.

24.2 Students identify the hypothesis and conclusion in logical deduction. 24.3 Students use counterexamples to show that an assertion is false and recognize that a single counterexample is sufficient to refute an assertion.

Geometry standards:
1.0 Students demonstrate understanding by identifying and giving examples of undefined terms, axioms, theorems, and inductive and deductive reasoning.

Besides, I showed them on the day before Christmas break and the day before Spring break after everyone was done with their quiz. No student wants to do anything on those days ANYWAY... and yes, I even had one period refuse to watch it and decided to have a party against my policy. Can't argue for a party to be any better than Case Closed...

It was a toss up; some students loved it, while others hated it. It also depended on which episode I showed it seemed; most students hated the Diner episode (where you meet Eri/Eva, Ran/Rachel's mom for the first time) and the Train Trick episode, but rather liked the body switching brothers episode. Of course I screened each to make sure nothing slightly objectionable was in each. Each period got a different episode, and I had students coming in from following periods excited that the BONUS/Extra Credit on the quiz was going to be "fun". And yes, I gave extra credit for anyone who came close to finding the solution.

I wrote it as an "educational exercise/reward" on my lesson plan I passed off to the AP and it didn't get questioned, and even passed off the idea to my mentor and she said it was fine, especially seeing about 50% [give or take] of teachers give a party on the last day before break anyway...

If I can get my pictures of my classroom off my phone I'd post them... and yes, I was actually quite surprised my posters passed the APs approval too. Actually, one AP came in my room, saw my Eureka 7 poster, and asked if he could borrow my Eureka 7 Soundtracks...

You do have a strong arguement with showing Case Closed, as I completely agree with you on the mathmatic aspects. I might have jumped the gun slightly, but this is the first time I actually heard of a actual teacher using these methods. Though I still have several questions however.

1. What about the students who weren't interested/could watch anime for various reasons?

2. What did you do with the anime fans, if any, didn't want to watch the episode in English/or with subtitles?

3. Did you think the anime fan students would actually be motivated to work hard for the anime episodes?

4. What if a student wanted to watch an anime that wasn't "school apporiate"? Or read a manga that wasn't either?

I do appolgize if I acted to hasty with you, you seem to actually grasp the mathamatic concepts of Case Closed and understand that anime can motivate some students.

Though in response to aluria's response; when was the last time you seen a student actually happy to do homework? Mind you, not a college student or older person returing to school for the first time in several years.

I've had teachers who frankly had the attitude of "I could care less what you do, just don't bug me". Although I did have some nice teachers who did care about students, I've only had a few of them.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Education and fun don't mix together? What world are you living in? A good teacher is one who can make learning enjoyable.
We had a teacher who decorated the walls with plastic rats, Braveheart posters, and had a Ho Chi Minh watch, because it was all relevant to the classes she was teaching (Social Studies, and History) She would often bring in songs that were connected to what we were learning (eg the Boney M song Rasputin for the Russian Revolution lesson), and after explaining the historical relevance of the lyrics to the songs, she would have us do a song-face off, girls vs. boys, and whichever side sang loudest won. Hell, she would sometimes have the librarian come in, so they could show us their dance routine, and the whole class would end up singing and dancing, and yes, learning at the same time.
Same with other classes, in German class, we watched Run Lola Run, and the Sound of Music. French class, we watched French videos. One of my teachers was a former NHL player, and he decided for fun (for those hockey fans) that he would show an old hockey game that he played in...
Like the others said, the mark of a good teacher is one who is willing to think of different ways to make kids interested in learning. If reading comic books and watching cartoons will get a kid interested in reading, history, or learning new languages, then so be it.

My grade 8 history teacher is still top of my list. He had been a diver for sunken ships, and had a huge collection of videos of same. Also, a collection of WWI and WWII objects. One student got to test the gas mask for us during a video about them, and we had to do attendance like a trench run (helmet included). But everyone loved it- it was really great. I think that class could have been made really boring, but the way he chose to do it got a lot more kids interested.

As for Case Closed, it's more logic than actual algebra. But since algebra is pretty similar to formal logic, and math is based on logic anyway, I can see where that would come in. My history teacher this year showed us Intacto, so...

And - just putting this out there - Etoile's hair is the same length as mine. I wish I were joking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2