• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Freelancers Report that PiQ's July Issue Is Its Last

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, from Tokyopop to this... The anime and manga world is really hardup. I hope ADV doesn't go down like Geneon. Sad
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Seems a little premature. I think a lot of people were holding their breath to see if PIQ would live up to Newtype before subscribing. It must have sold really poorly.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
well...DUUUUUHHHH. This was so obvious from the start. How could they think that expanding the domographic was a good idea. PiQ was crap compared to newType. They actually THOUGH this was better the NewType and it blew up in their face. I am glad, maybe now theyll make a REAL replacement for NewType with ONLY anime/manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
I just wonder what license(s) ADV will announce @ AX.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
that sucks, seriously though the magazine hasn't existed long enough to know how well it will do, must be money problems on ADV then, can't think of any good reason to end a magazine after 4 issues. I won't miss it much though, I prefer otaku usa out of the anime magazines.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I just wonder what license(s) ADV will announce @ AX.

Frankly after their canceled panel at Anime Central, I think people are just hoping that they actually make an appearance.
handsomeyakuza

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
I hate to sling mud but PiQ is a horrible publication...It's a continuing sign of the times I guess...
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I still haven't received my July issue in the mail yet. Should've gotten it by now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
PiQ is a failure?

In other news, the sun will rise today and oxygen will be breathed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
So, NewType USA and PiQ are both failures.
I guess there just aren't enough paying customers to sustain more than a few anime/manga-targeted publications.
Reminds me back in the days of hunting any sign of Animerica in any Tower Records rack. Laughing
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
PiQ is a failure?

In other news, the sun will rise today and oxygen will be breathed.

Heyyyyy..

What do you know the sky is not falling after all.

..anyway

I never purchased PiQ partially because I simply never sold in stores I shop at. I wanted to give it a chance before dismissing it outright, but..oh well.
DirtnSky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
Unfortunantly there DmonHiro, ADV has lost so much momentum since '04 and when their attempts to enter the manga side of the business blew up in their face. Publication of anything will Not be an incentive for that company now and for the foreseeable future.

What's truly sad in regards to ADV's axeing of Newtype USA was the incredible lack on its part to understand the nature of the magazine industry. A magazine has a Grand celebration when they reach the fifth year of publication because it's the tipping point of the selling potential of that magazine. I remember when I was still collecting the Japanese Newtype, They where proudly bragging that when the big 5 rolled in. Bragged about the 10th, 15th, 20th and so on. NewtypeUSA was bragging about it in the Jan edition too even!

ADV -I vaguely recall- Whined about Newtype not showing enough growth and stating it was barely making a small profit and That was the main reason for them to cancel it! They where still making money when it was canned!!! The release of the bastard child call PiQ must of alienated quite a number of the otaku population enough for most to put such a massive embrago in the buying of it.

I remember I had Newtype show up at my nearest Walmart and I noticed that even though when it was dropped, they tried to sell PiQ... HAH! I came by there every week to buy something and came by the magazine rack to see if any where sold. Surprise, surprise; the SAME amount of that damn rag was still sitting there. In other wards Not ONE damn One SOLD! They always sold most of the Newtypes there, sometimes I was buying the last one.

Seriously, how nearsighted was -and no doubt still IS- ADV?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
Another nail in ADV's coffin, I'm sure.

Can't say I feel any sort of...idunno...sadness about this, ADV have been screwing around this whole year; they've lost Gurren Lagann to Bandai who were imediately able to get it on tv via Manga ent, they're still sitting on Keroro for god knows what reason at this point and, realy, they just suck. End of Discussion.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
Ok now. ADV has nothing to do with PiQ.

So, this is not another nail in ADV's coffin. It is too bad the mag never had a chance to really evolve. This July issue is there best one.

Bummer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11