• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - City of Angels

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilkz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
In the last photo of today's collection, what is that box labeled "Japanese Animation A-Z"?
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
that guy has a shot glass from "The Henry Ford" i get the feeling i might know who they are.

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Nathan's shelves contain a copy of Hot Fuzz. They are automatically awesome. Cool

I think this is the first Shelf Life I can remember with nothing at least *rental* worthy. Wow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
It seems the latest Shelf Life is making up for all the latest ones with no 'perishables'.

I really really want to watch the Honey & Clover movie (and read it and watch the anime) Very Happy
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Damn, for a minute there I thought that your were reviewing the anime. Is Viz ever going to release that sucker?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Quote:
With only two volumes [of Shuffle!] to go, what could they possibly dredge up next?

Twisted Evil

Here, here! This is the one point I can't wait to see how the ANN reviewers will react!
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
ilkz wrote:
In the last photo of today's collection, what is that box labeled "Japanese Animation A-Z"?

I don't think thats a box, but a bookend u'd normally see on store shelves like suncoast... remember when "Japanese Animation A-Z" only took up one row on a huge shelf? lol
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll be somewhere in China with my family.

I'm glad they're alright.

I'm also interested in the live-action H+C, but waiting to finish the manga, so I don't get spoiled.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Nathan's shelves contain a copy of Hot Fuzz. They are automatically awesome. Cool

Serenity, Lord of War, Riddick Trilogy, and *gasp* the title truely deserving of amnesty for all the Jay & Silent Bob movies ... Special Duty Combat Unit Shinesman.

Quote:
The manga that are facing backwards are ones he hasn't read yet.

Looks like with the anime too. I could never do that (for either,) it would just be too depressing.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Excellent, I was waiting for a review re: live action Honey and Clover. I'm unfamiliar with the manga and the anime (I'm waiting, Viz...), so I was curious how it stood alone. I've liked live action NANA (also watched, unfamiliar with the manga and anime) and I've got Linda Linda Linda on order, so I'll be ordering this probably on the next Viz sale. Thanks for the review!
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
I recently saw Shattered Angels at the Alamo last week. It wasn't very bad at all or mediocre, it was a very solid and very well presented anime. The problem it has is that it doesn't seem to know that it wants to be either a shojo drama or a nicer, tamer version of "Kannazuki no Miko" meaning it tries to comptemplate a yuri drama.

Now as for it being simular to KNM, I noticed the character design looked very simular.[/spoiler] The sodomizing of that girl in KNM still gives the creeps to this day.spoiler[

the dub still feels promising though.]
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
yikes!!!

that shelf on the picture #4 looks like it's falling apart...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
As usual Bamboo, I enjoy your review. However, that angel series reminds of Dr. Slump in the sense of the charcter needing something to power up.

As for Shuffle, all due respect to fans and non-fans, the show will get worse, than slightly better. Expect massive amounts of moe and drama though.

Have a safe trip Bamboo, I really enjoyed your article.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
ilkz wrote:

That's probably meant to be there to help categorize the shows. Like labeling different sections of dvds in a video store. Though if I am right he kind of failed a bit since there's a lot of other titles besides anime there lol. Wink He does get +5 awesome points for the Beerfest and Munich dvds though. I was surprised to see the Sailor Victory dvd there as well.

As for the reviews themselves I am a bit saddened. I had heard Shuffle actually finally had something of a real plot and depth start in vol 4 but it seems it's just a saturation of soap opera drama passing itself off as depth. *gets out his rasinets in anticipation* Anime catgrin + sweatdrop What can I say, I love cheesiness. I suppose I'll get even more of it when my Netflix rentals of Shattered Angels vols 1 & 2 get here sometime next week.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
Double Perishable? Instant win. It's been too long since I've seen some titles trashed (fortunately, two that I didn't plan on buying).

Also, Bamboo's review pattern for Shuffle! vaguely reminds me of how she reviewed Peach Girl. Except the latter show had a higher average, to be sure.

And what's up with the ANN staff owning up to liking Please Twins all of a sudden? I'm really starting to think I should reconsider...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3