• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Leaf's White Album Game Reportedly Gets Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I doubt we here in america will see those types of games on the PS3.Sure we can get dating sims on the puter but no place else.The consoles(wii and mps3 mainly) get a lot less games released.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
I doubt we here in america will see those types of games on the PS3.Sure we can get dating sims on the puter but no place else.The consoles(wii and mps3 mainly) get a lot less games released.
thats why the ps3 is region free Smile
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Tears to Tiara is actually an RPG, so we have a slim chance of getting it here =)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
hikura wrote:

thats why the ps3 is region free Smile

IIRC, many Blu-Ray DVDs are released region-free, but PS3 games are region-coded. It's just that the US and Japan are in the same Region A.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Actually no, the PlayStation 3 will play any PS3 games from any part of the world. It's the Blu-Ray video discs that are the problem, it's region restricted for movie viewings, but as you said, many are released Region Free, so that isn't much of a problem.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
This is another of those anime that are adapted from a hentai game that either had an all age version or was exclusively adult. This is a trend for various hentai games: they'll start as H-Game then get a "cleaner" version on a game console then be adapted to an anime version that either is ecchi, hentai, or geared towards the all age/teenagers/older children crowd.
e-imi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Is the PS3 really not region locked for games? Has anyone actually bought a US PS3 and then played a Japanese game on it? I'd really like to know, because if that's true, I'll probably buy one. >_>

Anyways, I'm extatic to hear this. I was so suprised to hear that White Album was going to be getting a manga at first since it is so old, and now this! Very Happy

Best begining-of-summer news ever!
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
Ugh, it is region free for BD-Games. And if it helps Japan is in the same BD region that North America is. A friend of mine has a Japanese Ceramic White 40GB PS3 and it plays North American video game releases fine.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
It is very good that, like the PSP, the PS3 is region free for games so I can finally import some of these games that are never going to get brought over officially, but the language barrier is still there (I have two Japanese PSP games - Kanon and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku - that I've barely played). I still don't understand why there's no region coding on PS3 games, but the PS2 BC is still region locked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rg4619

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is the PS3 really not region locked for games? Has anyone actually bought a US PS3 and then played a Japanese game on it? I'd really like to know, because if that's true, I'll probably buy one. >_>

There's no hardware lockout. However, publishers are free to lock specific games in software (although in most cases, they don't).

Quote:
Tears to Tiara is actually an RPG, so we have a slim chance of getting it here =)

As far as I know, it's still an ADV/SRPG hybrid like Utawarerumono. That means copious amounts of text (non-interactive part), followed by a battle sequence, and so forth.

Whether someone wants to release a game like that remains up in the air, but we can hope.
Sklathill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:

One of the reasons I bought a PS3 almost on release... I had to support it on general principle Yay no region lock.

I'm currently playing Senjou no Valkyria and Battle Fantasia on my US PS3. Last I checked, the former is to be release in the US in winter, while the latter isn't set yet for a US release. :)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Sklathill wrote:

One of the reasons I bought a PS3 almost on release... I had to support it on general principle Yay no region lock.

Principle is one of the reasons people don't like Blu-Ray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats#Copy_prevention

Region-coding is a Blu-Ray (BR) specification, so it's required in all BR players (it's actually HD-DVD that doesn't have region-coding at all). Many BR stuff are released "region-free" for now to help popularize the format, but most likely they'll region-lock in the future once (or if) the format is established.

Plus, the dreaded Advanced Access Content System (AACS) which is mandatory for BR. It can brick your BR player even if you just accidentally inserted a "copy-compromised" BR disc. There are also other privacy issues; that's why many people won't support BR in principle for its draconian copyright controls.
e-imi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Sklathill wrote:
e-imi wrote:

I'm currently playing Senjou no Valkyria and Battle Fantasia on my US PS3. Last I checked, the former is to be release in the US in winter, while the latter isn't set yet for a US release. Smile
Okay, thank you! :3

I'm really happy to hear that, but I'm still not sure whether to get a PS3 or an Xbox 360. Confused
Sklathill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sklathill wrote:

Principle is one of the reasons people don't like Blu-Ray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats#Copy_prevention

I have an HD-DVD player and have far more of those movies than Blu-ray... but... :( I really wanted HD-DVD to win. (Also, the HD-DVD Euro release of Terminator 2 just DESTROYS the very barebones Blu-ray T2. My LASERDISC version of T2 beats the Blu-ray T2. :( ) I'm generally not too concerned about copying stuff or even regions (Japan and US are in the same region according to Blu-ray) but in my existing library, I felt the HD-DVD format was just so nice and consistently high in quality compared to the Blu-ray stuff...

And game machine wise, I am so pissed off that even when I purchase and download Puyo Puyo Fever for my Xbox 360, it refuses to let me play it. MS has got the whole DRM thing going, that's fine, but regions on top of that? Ugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1