• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Bang Zoom! Entertainment Helps Lucky Star Make North American Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
I think they did a great job with volume 1. It's always interesting to get some behind-the-scenes information about what goes into localization. The lengths they went through to do the job right is a clear indicator as to why they are still in business since 1993.

Great job, Bang Zoom!
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the shows i've been waiting for every since hearing is described as a "hyper-version of azumanga daioh". After watching the subtitled track, I'm glad Bang! Zoom went the distance in ensuring that the English Dub closely relates to the Japanese, so that others may enjoy this series as much as I do.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Thank you to Bang Zoom! for getting this one right. I can't wait to see how the second DVD volume is going to be when I get it.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Well, this article was a bit different than usual, but much appreciated. It's nice to know they went to so much extra effort to make the localization as faithful as possible. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. Thank you ANN for reporting this, and Bang Zoom! for your awesome efforts. I look forward to the rest of this series.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Well, this article was a bit different than usual, but much appreciated. It's nice to know they went to so much extra effort to make the localization as faithful as possible. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. Thank you ANN for reporting this, and Bang Zoom! for your awesome efforts. I look forward to the rest of this series.

It wasn't an article, it was a press release written by Bang Zoom!.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
After watching the subtitled track, I'm glad Bang! Zoom went the distance in ensuring that the English Dub closely relates to the Japanese, so that others may enjoy this series as much as I do.
Thank you for saying this. As an English dub fan, I've occasionally read rather selfish and insulting things from sub fans. It's very refreshing and extremely pleasant to read such an accepting post. Thank you for remembering and caring about your fellow anime fans (even if we do like those English dubs!)

Bang! Zoom really did do an excellent job in my opinion. The dialogue comes across as extremely natural even when a line is filled with obscure references and the casting is spot on. I'm eagerly waiting for the next volume. I think they've got a right to crow about this one.

I mean, even with the end credits karaoke section, I wasn't sure at first that it wasn't the English VAs singing. They flow surprisingly seamlessly. Then there's the Lucky Channel segments. Stephanie Sheh is just insanely perfect as the "one second she's super hyper, the next she's burned out cynical" Akira.

Bonus points for an English dub with honorifics.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

It wasn't an article, it was a press release written by Bang Zoom!.

Haha... I forgot I clicked this from the PR area on the frontpage. I just open up everything I'm gonna read in tabs, then run through them. Thanks for setting me straight. Smile

PS> @Richard J.: Yes, not all sub fans are heartless bastards. The silent majority of us just enjoy our subtitles and let the world be at peace. However, even I'll agree that the English track was very fluid. This is why Bang Zoom! is my favorite dubbing studio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1