• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The Confessional

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, a couple of the confessions I put up last week were pretty lame to be sure Razz. But that last one in the lame list really takes the cake. Somebody who chooses to attend con panels based on whether or not they are interested in them? Wow! Laughing

As for interest in anime, I agree that R1 needs another big hit. Soul Eater might be able to fit the bill in the mid-term, I think. Nothing else comes to mind though.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
That was the most hilarious Answerman I've read. The first anti-Eva confession was a gem: "I dislike Neon Genesis Evangelion. Why can't anyone in that show get over themselves? Shinji especially annoys the hell out of me. Plus I'm fairly positive that if Ikari just hugged him once, the seires would be drastically different." That made me laugh. Then I got wary, since it was past midnight and everyone else is asleep. Then I laughed again.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
The majority of the confessions were lame. Even the "good" ones. Well. maybe the Kodomo no Jikan one was good confession fodder. Only the lolicon dude from school would say that proudly.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Answerman wrote:
Quote:
"I've never watched Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece."

Shocking. Just shocking.

Really? I didn't know it was so shocking to you or I'd send mine in. Here's a list of ANN's Top 10 Most Viewed on me:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) -- never watched
  2. Cowboy Bebop (TV) -- watched ~3 minutes during channel surfing
  3. Bleach (TV) -- watched bits and pieces at cons, less than 3 minutes total
  4. Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV) -- watched ~10 minutes on someone else's computer
  5. Naruto (TV) -- watched ~3 minutes during channel surfing
  6. FLCL (OAV) -- finished, good but not great
  7. Trigun (TV) -- never watched
  8. Princess Mononoke -- masterpiece, rewatched multiple times
  9. Inuyasha (TV) -- watched ~3 minutes during channel surfing
  10. Death Note -- never watched

In short, I've only watched two out of ten.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Really? I didn't know it was so shocking to you or I'd send mine in.

sar·casm

–noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
fmagrave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Hey, Answerman wrote:
Quote:
"I've never watched Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece."

Shocking. Just shocking.

Really? I didn't know it was so shocking to you or I'd send mine

Double sarcasm?

Anyways, this was a pretty lazy session of Answerman. I don't see the point in throwing bits of crumpled up paper at lame confessions. If Answerman had thrown recently sharpened javelins tinged with malice and sarcasm, I would have enjoyed this a bit more as a public lynching (a.k.a. comedy).
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi is first and foremost a story with an excellent hook. It takes a seemingly benign premise and mostly run-of-the-mill characters, and grabs viewer interest with the eventual revelation spoiler[that Haruhi is basically God and doesn't know it.] In keeping with that, you've got a sci-fi/fantasy show that doesn't know it's a sci-fi/fantasy show -- except for a few sequences, it's slice-of-life antics, but they're all filtered through the weirdness of Haruhi's antics and the double-weirdness provided by The Hook. It's a prime example of how much impact one great idea can have on a story.

Is it a masterpiece? Not quite. But it's pretty great for what it is, and has a lot of charm. Though it loses a lot if viewed in chronological order (the story may make slightly more sense that way, but the broadcast order provides more emotional punch and meaning.)
Sunni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
So this is how you get out of writing a column. One tired question, then let fans do the rest of the work.

Can you at least try to write a good column next week? Detailed, intelligent, informative responses like AskJohn, not just 5-10 lines of half-assed opinion? Why your column is popular boggles the mind. Writer my ass.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
So where's the drop in con attendance going to come from? High gas prices / bad economy, or people fearing for their lives and not attending Anime Expo in downtown Los Angeles?
fmagrave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Sunni wrote:
Can you at least try to write a good column next week? Detailed, intelligent, informative responses like AskJohn, not just 5-10 lines of half-assed opinion? Why your column is popular boggles the mind. Writer my ass.

I've been hearing about AskJohn v. Answerman for a while now, and I'm wondering why the cryfest is still around. AskJohn is AskJohn. Answerman is Answerman. They have two different styles, and if one doesn't cater to you, you don't have to force yourself to read that person's articles.
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Another fairly lulzy Friday with Answerman although this week's column felt more like I was reading SA's The Weekend Web. Still fun to read though (I know, as if it wouldn't be right?).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Pokedude97:
"The scene at the beginning of Dragon Ball where Bulma wasn't wearing any panties turned me on."

And you sir, win the making my drink come out my nose award!
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Oooh I'm lame. Feels like high school all over again. lol Anime exclamation

Honestly though, why did everyone get their panties in a bunch over the confessions? So some people misunderstood the question ... so some people thought they were funnier than they actually are ... so some people just wanted a chance to express themselves ... so what?

Maybe there just should have been another thread made for inane confessions then. I just don't see what the big deal was. It wasn't hurting anyone.
ClichedUsername

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I cried when Ash turned to stone in Pokemon: The First Movie.

Same here, man. Same here. Crying or Very sad
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Sunni wrote:
So this is how you get out of writing a column. One tired question, then let fans do the rest of the work.

Both have thier own styles. But take into account that John does one detailed response while Answerman usually takes the time to do several. You can either have one huge one, or several littles ones, It's all choice and no one is forcing you to choose. Besides, I like these fan connection things. They allow the little people to get in on this too and share thier opinions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10