• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Versus Battles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Since Square seems intent on booking fighters two at a time

But they're all hero/villain. So instead of Edge and Rydia it'd be Cecil and Golbez, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
By Final Fantasy "III", you really meant VI, right? Also, I imagine Dissidia is just an excuse to bring Ergheiz back from the dead, so they can cash in on Smash Bros. Wink As for Sky Crawlers, it probably would be the first video game where you have to pause to continue the story. Laughing [It's an Oshii joke, for those who don't get it. And yes, I'm aware that Kojima came up with that gimmick for fighting The Emo in MGS 3, but I don't care, since he probably saw Avalon and/or GITS when he came up with ideas for the previous game.]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Well Todd, I can safely say your article has quickly become one of my favorites already.

Fantastic article, thanks.

I look forward to next week.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
I have to say I'm looking forward to Dissidia. I wonder when we'll find out more about the gameplay. From what I understand, the game is about halfway done at the moment.

Keep up the great work, this article is awesome!
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
A game that lets me endlessly beat the pants off Squall? Definitely worth the price of admission.
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Screw the FF thing. Spinoffs aren't good. But that Guilty Gear-like game looks good. Of course, it'll never beat the real deal Very Happy
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Also, I imagine Dissidia is just an excuse to bring Ergheiz back from the dead, so they can cash in on Smash Bros.

I think The Bouncer was the attempt to revive Ehrgeiz. Which is a shame, because I liked Ehrgeiz and hated Bouncer. Either way, the videos we've seen of Dissidia don't suggest the free-roaming, wrestling-like gameplay of Ehrgeiz. Oh well, we'll see.

BTW, someone's having fun with the alt tags, isn't he?
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
<i>Tactics' Agrias and Mustadio</i>

*Mustadio*?!?

A fighting game with a gunner character?!?

(Then again, hey, there was that final battle in the first Bushido Blade...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whatever the reason, a generation missed out on playing a Gundam game and, in the process, finding out just how boring they can get.

Eh, I still would've bought Journey to Jaburo and Encounters in Space. I still argue that those are two solid games.
Eos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ta-kun The Black Kitty wrote:
Screw the FF thing. Spinoffs aren't good.

Crisis Core was surprisingly good, but I guess that falls more under prequel (still spinoff to me).

While I'm looking forward to the new gameplay in Trauma Center 2, I hope it doesn't make it too much harder, I felt bad enough killing that kid again and again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
But they're all hero/villain. So instead of Edge and Rydia it'd be Cecil and Golbez, etc.
Or Edge and Rubicante. Heck, Kain works too since he spent half the game on the other side. No Final Fantasy 6 love as well. Terra and Kafka, heck, just Kafka would make it more then worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IAmZim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Despite the fact that I love Zeta Gundam, I lolled at the captions on those pictures.

"Don't tell anyone I said that"
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually own the Zeta game which is extremely easy. During the first person part you can press the thumb pad to up/right and continually fire (you can do this part with your eyes closed) to pass the stage. I actually enjoy the fact that they licensed the songs from the series (unlike BE's US Zeta DVD release) and think the recreation of the ED credits works well.

Didn't Gundam Gachapon 1 get released before this? I never could hunt down the first in this long series of 8 bit Gundam games but the 2-5 games were by far my favorite Gundam based games. I think it was released during Zeta's run.

I'm glad to see the X Button seems to be morphing more into an video game column for anime fans.
strahl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
so no Cloud strife on dissidia? only the baddie made it this time..sephiroth pulled a few strings...

I guess Cloud's contract was strictly on The FF7 core games
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
strahl wrote:
so no Cloud strife on dissidia? only the baddie made it this time..sephiroth pulled a few strings...

I don't think there's any doubt that Cloud will be featured.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2