• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Host The Last Unicorn Author Peter S. Beagle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see this information reported on ANN, even though I can't go. Peter S. Beagle is one of my most favorite authors! According to "The Raven," an email newsletter that is about Peter and his works and appearances, he will also be at Anime Expo. Here's the little description about where he will be at Anime Expo that was included in the most recent "The Raven" (a name which will make sense to people who have read A Fine and Private Place):

Quote:
Peter will be at the EigoManga booth in the dealer's room, along with Peter Yuthrayard, the artist who is doing the manga-style graphic novel adaptation of THE LAST UNICORN.

Hopefully, a lot of people will stop by and meet him, especially people who've never read his work before. I think that the in-progress manga-style adaptation of The Last Unicorn will work well as a way to spread the story out to people who might not otherwise read the actual novel, even if they have seen the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing how the graphic novel turns out.

Last edited by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Ligene

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
I can honestly say I've never read the novel (or any of his work for that matter), but The Last Unicorn was my favorite movie as a child. I missed him last year at Otakon, and now I got another chance. Definitely going out to purchase the book and read it before August now ;D

Thanks, TTG, for the information about his location.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
Ligene wrote:
Thanks, TTG, for the information about his location.

No problem! Although I would like to clarify that the description in my post above is of where he will be at Anime Expo. I even went in all ninja-like and edited my above post so that hopefully that's a little more clear. I wouldn't want to accidentally confuse anyone! Anime smile + sweatdrop That just wouldn't be helpful at all. So, I just visited Otakon's web site and this was their description about where Peter will be:

Quote:
Last Unicorn author Peter S. Beagle returns for Otakon 2008, and will host a special showing of The Last Unicorn with Q&A. Look for him at the Conlan Press booth.

So it looks like Peter will be at the EigoManga booth at Anime Expo and at the Conlan Press booth at Otakon. I wish I could go meet him! The Last Unicorn was one of my most favorite movies when I was a child, too. Actually, it still is one of my most favorite movies, but I guess nothing can compare to the way that I used to feel about it. I mean, whenever my grandma took my brother and me to the video store when she was baby-sitting us, it seems like that was the only movie I ever picked out. Very Happy I love the designs so much. I was just checking out Conlan Press's web site again, and I forgot that there just might be an opportunity to pick up a print of the designs of one of the original Japanese artist's who worked on the animation of the movie. And if anyone else is feeling nostalgic about the movie and wants to pick it up, I'd like to humbly suggest that you purchase the DVD off of the Conlan Press web site because that is the only way that Peter gets any money from the sales of the movie, and the reason for that is a long story. If you want to know anymore, you'll have to check out the Conlan Press site.

Oh! Anime hyper And I totally recommend the original novel of The Last Unicorn! As many of you know, there's always a lot more stuff that you can fit into a book than into a movie, and maybe even into a manga, but I'll have to wait and see on that one. Anime smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering why a guy who was the creator for an animated film which is technically not anime, only a co-production, gets a thread, while my thread regarding a co-production gets locked.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm just wondering why a guy who was the creator for an animated film which is technically not anime, only a co-production, gets a thread, while my thread regarding a co-production gets locked.

The Last Unicorn, man. The Last-[expletive]-Unicorn. It's a classic.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

The Last Unicorn, man. The Last-[expletive]-Unicorn. It's a classic.

And it has bestiality. It's like it's made for anime. Laughing
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I'm going to have to agree, as that bothers me a bit. Rainbow Bright is considered a Japanese-French Co-production, and TMS Entertainment even owns a copyright to the series.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:39 am Reply with quote
This is great news because I couldn't find him last year. I'll make sure to look harder this time. Smile

And I think this is being reported because Otakon and Anime Expo are anime conventions.
JoeC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
To the person who said
Quote:
'm just wondering why a guy who was the creator for an animated film which is technically not anime, only a co-production, gets a thread, while my thread regarding a co-production gets locked.

What horsesh!t. Or unicorn sh!t perhaps. The word anime is the Japanese word that applies to any animation. To specify japanese anime they say nihon no anime. What an elitist.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
JoeC wrote:

What horsesh!t. Or unicorn sh!t perhaps. The word anime is the Japanese word that applies to any animation. To specify japanese anime they say nihon no anime. What an elitist.

Yes but this is a site dedicated to Japanese Animation not all animation.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Again? They cut out the curse words in the dvd though. I've seen the original on some crappy little avi file five years ago. My nephews suck; all they want is to watch the LOTR movies with all the fighting.

As for anime, I'm not getting into another context war, so let's just drop it from here.
Doctor Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Actually the film "The Last Unicorn" is quasi-anime (for lack of a better term.) Although Rankin-Bass was a US company and all the script and voice work was done in the US, they farmed out all their animation to Japan (all the way back to the stop-motion "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" in 1965 that was done by a studio in a Tokyo warehouse). Rankin-Bass used a Japanese contract studio called Topcraft to do several of their films ("The Hobbit," "The Return of the King," "The Flight of Dragons," and "The Last Unicorn"). The character designs and artwork were all done by the Japanese animators.

After Topcraft had finished "The Last Unicorn" in 1983, they were hired by the Japanese publishing company Tokuma Shoten to do this one-shot film based on a manga they'd been running in Animage with the manga's creator as the director. So the next film Topcraft did after "The Last Unicorn" was "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind." After they finished Topcraft was disbanded and the core group of animators from there followed Miyazaki to form the new Studio Ghilbi. You can read some of this at Nausicaa.net

Actually, the very first anime con that Peter attended was A-Kon 2007. We invited him because of this anime link and because a large number of anime fans grew up watching and loving "The Last Unicorn" without realizing the Japanese connection. His talks about the movie and his career were packed and there was always a crowd around his table in the artist alley with fans buying his books and getting autographs. As a result of going to A-Kon he ended up going to both AX 2007 and Otakon 2007. We had him back at A-Kon 2008 a month ago and obviously he is going back to AX and Otakon

And to repeat what "Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl" said, if you want to find out more about his work and what he's doing now, go to the website of his publisher Conlan Press
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I've always want to ask why he changed "Saruman" to (sic) "Aruman" for the first 45 min of LOTR, and then go back to Saruman for the second half.

Also, dude, it's Otakon, it's ANN related.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Doctor Marc wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Actually the film "The Last Unicorn" is quasi-anime (for lack of a better term.) Although Rankin-Bass was a US company and all the script and voice work was done in the US, they farmed out all their animation to Japan (all the way back to the stop-motion "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" in 1965 that was done by a studio in a Tokyo warehouse). Rankin-Bass used a Japanese contract studio called Topcraft to do several of their films ("The Hobbit," "The Return of the King," "The Flight of Dragons," and "The Last Unicorn"). The character designs and artwork were all done by the Japanese animators.

After Topcraft had finished "The Last Unicorn" in 1983, they were hired by the Japanese publishing company Tokuma Shoten to do this one-shot film based on a manga they'd been running in Animage with the manga's creator as the director. So the next film Topcraft did after "The Last Unicorn" was "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind." After they finished Topcraft was disbanded and the core group of animators from there followed Miyazaki to form the new Studio Ghilbi. You can read some of this at Nausicaa.net

Actually, the very first anime con that Peter attended was A-Kon 2007. We invited him because of this anime link and because a large number of anime fans grew up watching and loving "The Last Unicorn" without realizing the Japanese connection. His talks about the movie and his career were packed and there was always a crowd around his table in the artist alley with fans buying his books and getting autographs. As a result of going to A-Kon he ended up going to both AX 2007 and Otakon 2007. We had him back at A-Kon 2008 a month ago and obviously he is going back to AX and Otakon

And to repeat what "Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl" said, if you want to find out more about his work and what he's doing now, go to the website of his publisher Conlan Press

Hairston, is that you pimping your knowledge again? Laughing
Doctor Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hairston, is that you pimping your knowledge again? Laughing

Yep, you caught me. Anime smile But mostly I was pimping Peter Beagle. He's a friend of mine and I want lots of people to go see him at AX and Otakon and buy lots of his books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1