• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - Keynote Address: Vu Nguyen, Crunchyroll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Typo in second to last paragraph:

Of these, the ad-supported model should probe the most popular, but all three will be viable to some extent.

Interesting article. Must be awkward for companies seeing an illegitimate "business site" become a significant force to deal with.
halo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
Typo in second to last paragraph:

Of these, the ad-supported model should probe the most popular, but all three will be viable to some extent.

Interesting article. Must be awkward for companies seeing an illegitimate "business site" become a significant force to deal with.

It's kind of awkward for some of the fans too.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
._. well, I'm personally conflicted, but if it took an "illegal" site to try something, I suppose that then that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm not going to be completely against it, but they did accomplish something that US companies have still not been able to do as of yet, due to legal reasons.

Not all fans care about what company gets the license, especially if they don't care what happens because they're already seeing a show with subtitles and when it ends, it ends, and off to the next series.

I wonder how they're handling that so far, though.

Though my best friend says she's not going to CR again because she extracted a virus from the website that killed her computer.

*shrugs.* I dunno. I'm most likely never going to use CR and stick to YouTube for now.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Not all fans care about what company gets the license, especially if they don't care what happens because they're already seeing a show with subtitles and when it ends, it ends, and off to the next series.
That seems to be the general mindset for most people I talk to. It's like shiny toys that get boring fast.

When people ask for anime on places like Yahoo! Answers, it's always a variant of, "WeRE cann i dwnlooad ths for FREE!!11!!!!!oneone!1!1!!"

They don't feel the need to invest in anime because it's not something worth investing in. It's not like a special collection or owning the experience for a lot of these people. It's just there.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
It's sad, in a sense. I'm happy with my collection. I don't mind giving it away for the next person, and I'm aware of how much money I've invested in an anime for the past few years. Regardless, money is always indispensable, no matter what you spend it on, good or not.

I don't understand why people think I waste my money on something I feel worth it, when in their mind is not. I suppose I'm somewhat "old school," though I'm barely 25 years old. *shrugs.*

I don't really have time to enjoy anime as much as I used to, but I'm not one that stands in line for the next trend either. *shrugs.* I haven't even seen anime that have been licensed (And fansubbed previously gaining popularity, ex- Haruhi, Ouran High School, When They Cry)...so...

And yes, I'm completely aware of the whole Yahoo Answers thing. They're not just asking for fansubs anymore. You know there are fans who like the English version, and still want a free download.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
That seems to be the general mindset for most people I talk to. It's like shiny toys that get boring fast.

When people ask for anime on places like Yahoo! Answers, it's always a variant of, "WeRE cann i dwnlooad ths for FREE!!11!!!!!oneone!1!1!!"

They don't feel the need to invest in anime because it's not something worth investing in. It's not like a special collection or owning the experience for a lot of these people. It's just there.

What I'm curious about is, now that CR has annnounced that nearly a third of their audience is over in SE Asia, how many of these people we see asking for anime on Yahoo! Answers and other places are even in the US? That's been my suspicion the whole time that fansubs have been blamed for problems with the US industry. What if all the companies licensing shows and releasing them due to so-called fansub popularity were misled by a huge amount of fansub downloaders not even being anywhere near the R1 market? Just a thought.

Disclaimer: This is not a claim that fansubs are not to blame, but that they only superficially created the appearance for an increase in demand, when there was not.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
That's certainly an interesting angle. Internationally released US movies pull in about half or more of the total gross opening amount from overseas.

Iron Man for example, made $309.2 million domestically and $561.4 million worldwide.

But R1 companies depending on fansub buzz à la The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya don't have that chunk of the audience that might pay. It's not like they can expect people to import their favorite titles, and there's competition from the licensors over in country X.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
... Must be awkward for companies seeing an illegitimate "business site" become a significant force to deal with.

Is Cruncyroll really a 'significant' force in the commercial sphere? The site gets a lot of views, but it got a lot of views before their big 'legit' headlines.

Maybe they (Crunchyroll) start a service quickly and turn some heads, but for right now it seems they are proposing what others (like ANN's news) are themselves now starting, and Crunchyroll had a head-start that they don't appear to have done a lot with.

The report talks about the viewer-ship numbers and how they hope to mix premium pay with ad-support, but that's what was said months ago. The report also doesn't make it seem Crunchyroll has a huge licensed library in place (we'll need the help of US and Japanese industries to..). In effect, it read like the same 'outline' Crunchyroll leadership detailed awhile ago, attract a certain demographic and now find a way to get revenue out of it. It just doesn't seem they've advanced the ball much with the lead-time they've had, and I figured they would have wanted an ironed-out service up and running before streaming 'competitors' popped up. The more viewers you draw, the more ad-revenue on the table, and viewers will probably stay with a 'favorite community' once they get used to a certain site (assuming most places will stream a similar variety of shows). Crunchyroll had/has an apparently big 'community', but if other streaming sites open up with a wide array of content a good chuck of folks will set up shop elsewhere. Like said earlier, maybe the facts change tomorrow, but for right now it appears Crunchyroll is still more idea than execution, and there are other fish entering the pond.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:
... Must be awkward for companies seeing an illegitimate "business site" become a significant force to deal with.

Is Cruncyroll really a 'significant' force in the commercial sphere? The site gets a lot of views, but it got a lot of views before their big 'legit' headlines.

Maybe they (Crunchyroll) start a service quickly and turn some heads, but for right now it seems they are proposing what others (like ANN's news) are themselves now starting, and Crunchyroll had a head-start that they don't appear to have done a lot with.

The report talks about the viewer-ship numbers and how they hope to mix premium pay with ad-support, but that's what was said months ago. The report also doesn't make it seem Crunchyroll has a huge licensed library in place (we'll need the help of US and Japanese industries to..). In effect, it read like the same 'outline' Crunchyroll leadership detailed awhile ago, attract a certain demographic and now find a way to get revenue out of it. It just doesn't seem they've advanced the ball much with the lead-time they've had, and I figured they would have wanted an ironed-out service up and running before streaming 'competitors' popped up. The more viewers you draw, the more ad-revenue on the table, and viewers will probably stay with a 'favorite community' once they get used to a certain site (assuming most places will stream a similar variety of shows). Crunchyroll had/has an apparently big 'community', but if other streaming sites open up with a wide array of content a good chuck of folks will set up shop elsewhere. Like said earlier, maybe the facts change tomorrow, but for right now it appears Crunchyroll is still more idea than execution, and there are other fish entering the pond.
Eh. Whatever they do, it's their problem. I was pointing out that with the recent turn of events, companies have been forced to acknowledge Crunchyroll as something they might have to deal with.

It's like what Microsoft did in China. Instead of trying to fight piracy, they lowered the prices of their software packages.

I dunno about competitors. YouTube has numerous competitors but because of its head start, it came out on top. I know other streaming sites with much better quality than YouTube, but people still flock to it. Maybe Crunchyroll will show the same effect. Maybe it won't. But I know some people just don't care how good the quality is as long as they can watch what they want, provided it's viewable. They settle into a groove.

It'll be fun to watch how it plays out.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Eh. Whatever they do, it's their problem. I was pointing out that with the recent turn of events, companies have been forced to acknowledge Crunchyroll as something they might have to deal with.

Oh, I think your first post was correct in that Crunchyroll garnered some major industry attention, I'm just not sure they've followed through and actually made themselves a 'significant' player in a business sense. Tomorrow they may start an amazing set of services, but for right now the article carries an early stages 'hope/develop/future/concept' ring to it, which is pretty similar to what they were outlining months ago. It just doesn't seem Crunchyroll has advanced their concept as much as I would have thought, and now solidifying competitors look to be jumping on the scene.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
If they really want to go legit, they should probably deal with their other media as well.

Speaking of... I wonder if NarutoFan will finally go down.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
If they really want to go legit, they should probably deal with their other media as well.

Speaking of... I wonder if NarutoFan will finally go down.

Actually they know where that guy lives, already...and it's definitely in the US, from what I heard...

So much for fake IPs, I guess. I don't know how they did it, but they did.

x.x I don't know what the hell they're waiting for, but yeah, I hope they give him a hard kick in the nuts.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:

I'm glad to see that someone else has had the same thoughts about this as me. I realize that contracts and other such negotiations take time, but it doesn't seem like they're really doing a whole lot at the moment, at least judging from the news coverage they've been receiving. And the speech sounds like the typical "Here's what we hope to do, but we don't know when it'll happen" type of thing.
krelyan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
How do these guys plan on being taken seriously when browsing their "index" it still lists hundreds of shows. Unless I've missed something I doubt they have permission to be hosting all these files.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
How do these guys plan on being taken seriously when browsing their "index" it still lists hundreds of shows. Unless I've missed something I doubt they have permission to be hosting all these files.

That's a very good point. The representative from Funimation on the fansub panel mentioned something like this, although I don't think CR came up specifically. His general sentiment seemed to be that unless sites decide to go completely legit, then Funimation would have the same issue with them that you brought up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2