• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Compares Anime File-Sharing to Stealing Bread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krelyan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
krelyan wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
People who want HQ+++ quality will turn to HDTV rips/ DVD rips for many reasons (mine is I hate vobsub)

I would love to see just one good reason or justification for DVD rips.

....one good reason? It's written above what you said: "Hate VobSubs"

Perhaps you should be a little clearer. If you’re saying that you personally rip DVDs you’ve purchased and swapped out the sub files that’s one thing. But if you’re insinuating that a “good reason” to download DVD rips is because you don’t like the subtitle fonts (that are required by DVD standards and specifications), I find that a little appalling.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I personally think that ANN posts these news clippings to sit back and watch the anime-loving community devour one another in a fit of flames and incomprehensible analogies.

Maybe that's just me...
1dark_angel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally like to jump in and post on this topic but I was lured in.

Yes the judge could have chosen his words better but would it make a difference in the end? The outcome would have been the same and some people would still disagree no matter how he put it.

As for the argument on theft only being "theft" when dealing with a tangible object, people will disagree til they are blue in the face. However, even legally speaking theft is not just limited to the realm of a physical item. Take "theft" of intellectual property or intellectual property "theft". No matter which way you refer to the term it does specifically refer to the theft of intangible items. They don't call it "distribution of intellectual property without permission" or "The coping of intellectual property" but theft.

To use the term "theft" even in a case of digital anime for download is actually legally correct and very prosecutable.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
1dark_angel wrote:

To use the term "theft" even in a case of digital anime for download is actually legally correct and very prosecutable.

They'll still say it's a lie, but thank you for making a valid point. xD
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:

Perhaps you should be a little clearer. If you’re saying that you personally rip DVDs you’ve purchased and swapped out the sub files that’s one thing. But if you’re insinuating that a “good reason” to download DVD rips is because you don’t like the subtitle fonts (that are required by DVD standards and specifications), I find that a little appalling.

There isn't a "justification" in the sense that it makes something wrong into something right, but I argue from the position it's not wrong, only neutral, and it takes something bad to make it wrong.

I downloaded dvdrips when I had no money, and I think that was fine. I have bought a lot since then because of what I downloaded when I was broke. I don't really think that was a negative, honestly. I've bought a lot more than I ever downloaded at this point.

I still occasionally download them because in some cases they are better quality than the rips I make from my dvds (there is a particular group who is very good at making high quality dvd rips, they provide karoake which I like, and they clean up bad frames using photoshop at times to go the extra mile. In many cases their h264 rips look better than the r1 dvd).

This said, I don't download to avoid buying anymore, anything that I do download is usually something I already have and don't feel like ripping myself (some shows are just a pain due to wierd authoring, like Rurouni Kenshin.. and they have horrible artifacting as well.. ) I really do use it for preview at this point, there is very little I haven't purchased or plan to purchase.

Last edited by Xanas on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikuru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
What about those who are anit-capitalists and buy nothing?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
What about those who are anit-capitalists and buy nothing?

Someone who is truly "anti-capitalist" would just do without making them irrelevant here. Otherwise you actually just think you deserve stuff for free.
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

You know, for a topic that you keep insisting is "boring," you sure write a lot about it. Wink

Yeah, because ANN is so good at trolling with its half-assed reports Wink

For what it is worth, Japan's legal system is foreign to pretty much all of ANN's readership and if it's going to throw catch phrases like "compare it with stealing bread" it ought to do us the favor and spell it out what was really happening.

I don't want to see another Kotaku.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
People who want HQ+++ quality will turn to HDTV rips/ DVD rips for many reasons (mine is I hate vobsub)

I would love to see just one good reason or justification for DVD rips.
As we all know, there is no good reason. But let the FBI find out about that. If convicted, it's a 5 year sentence in Federal "butt pounding" prison and/or a 250,000 dollar fine.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Anti-capitalists don't think they deserve things for free.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5