• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubbing has started for Monster.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
According to Tara Platt's website, she has a few roles in Monster. So therefore it's safe to assume that dubbing has already started and that it's being done in L.A. This is great because even though I haven't read that much of the manga, I'm still a big fan of Monster and this means that Crispin Freeman might get to play Dr. Tenma. Very Happy

Oh, and I'd like to add that I learned this from here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
An L.A. studios dub, huh? I'm a little disappointed that Ocean-Vancouver isn't doing this, as they've always been great at dialogue-heavy titles. However, if they have anybody on the ADR staff that was even remotely involved in either Ergo Proxy, GitS: SAC, or Hellsing Ultimate, I will have very little to complain about when all is said and done.

But Freeman as Tenma? Mm.. don't know about that one. His voice is a bit heavy for the type of character Tenma is. Like Mamiko Noto, Hidenobu Kiuchi is another seiyuu with a distinct softness in his voice, which I feel will always be difficult to really nail in a dub. For now, though, I would probably go with Joshua Seth for Johan. His voice sounds youthful enough, but with the potential to get creepy and/or crazy (sort of like his Dio in Last Exile).

In any case, I'm looking forward to Monster on DVD in any language at this point. Hopefully Viz will release the series in boxes (probably around 6 boxes at 12 episodes per box, give or take an extra episode to even things out).
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Man. I stopped watching this series with only 14 episodes left. Not sure why. An English version will be cool and I look forward to seeing how it is.

I'm predicting a lot of complaints about accents when this dub comes out. Rolling Eyes
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
But Freeman as Tenma? Mm.. don't know about that one. His voice is a bit heavy for the type of character Tenma is. Like Mamiko Noto, Hidenobu Kiuchi is another seiyuu with a distinct softness in his voice, which I feel will always be difficult to really nail in a dub. For now, though, I would probably go with Joshua Seth for Johan. His voice sounds youthful enough, but with the potential to get creepy and/or crazy (sort of like his Dio in Last Exile).

In any case, I'm looking forward to Monster on DVD in any language at this point. Hopefully Viz will release the series in boxes (probably around 6 boxes at 12 episodes per box, give or take an extra episode to even things out).

Yeeeeah, I think Crispin Freeman is the shiz, but Tenma might be stretching it because he's not young enough for Freeman's gentler Hideki/Kyon kind of roles, but not a gruff character like most of his older-played gentlemen. It might be a stretch, but he's a good actor, so whatev, maybe he can pull it off.

I hadn't ever thought of Joshua Seth as Johan, but...ooh. That's a good one. You mentioned Dio in Last Exile, and I'd add to that Young Knives and even some of his Digimon stuff where he switches quite quickly from mischievously endearing to downright psycho, which is a good profile of Johan, if you can profile a character that eerie.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Uhhh, I heard in the AnimeOnDVD English Track subforum that Joshua Seth retired from voice acting. The last thing I heard him was in Xenosaga Episode III as chaos, but after that that's it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Uhhh, I heard in the AnimeOnDVD English Track subforum that Joshua Seth retired from voice acting. The last thing I heard him was in Xenosaga Episode III as chaos, but after that that's it.

Well, crap. He was a lot of fun. Of course, it's hard to speculate on any voices at the moment, as Monster probably won't be announced, much less released, for quite a little while. Sad
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh, didn't know Seth retired... He did some pretty good work, and it's a shame he won't be in this production. To tell you the truth, I haven't really kept up with much of anything in the anime world for about 10 months. The last anime I remember watching were Hajime no Ippo in December and Code Geass around May. I've probably read more manga than watched anime all this time, to tell you the truth.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
maybe monster is gonna be officially announced at the Ny anime festival because AX is over and I haven't heard about anybody announcing anything at the anime festival yet.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I am a member of the Crispin Freeman Yahoo Group. This response to a question I asked weeks back will explain why Joshua doesn't do anime anymore (I asked Crispin what was it like working on Digimon):

>
> Working on Digimon was great. Unfortunately, I never work with the
other
> actors when dubbing a show so I didn't get to work with Josh Seth or
Mona
> Marshall directly. I've directed Mona when I worked on Scrapped
Princess,
> although it was a background part.
>
> Josh got out of anime voice acting because he couldn't make enough
money to
> make it worth his while. His hypnosis gigs pay a lot more money.
>
> I'm glad you like my portrayal of Thomas. That was pretty much
typecasting.
>
> For Kare Kano, I also did not work directly with the actors. I was only
> doing the scripts and I was also preparing to leave New York so I
had almost
> no contact with people at the studio. I enjoyed working on adapting the
> story because the story itself meant a lot to me, but I didn't really
> interact with anyone else.
>
> It is nice to see my NY friends in LA though. I see Liam [O'Brien is most famous for Gaara on Naruto. He is also currently Code Geass' Lloyd] often and
I do see
> Megan Hollingshead {Shizune on Naruto, Villetta on Code Geass, Rangiku on Bleach.(Pokemon's Nurse Joy and Yugioh's
> > Mai Valentine up to the end up of the Battle City because she moved to L.A.) from time to time. It's great to see them here.
Now if
> I could only get Lisa Ortiz [most noted for Lodoss War's Deedlit and the voice of Lina Inverse in the New York dubbing of Slayers] to move...
>
> Hope that answers your questions.
> --
> Crispin Freeman
> Voice Actor/Director
> crispinfreeman@...
> http://www.crispinfreeman.com
>
>
> > From: I cut my e-mail out of this part for obvious reasons.
> > Reply-To: <crispin_freeman_fansite>
> > Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:00:41 -0000
> > To: <crispin_freeman_fansite>
> > Subject: [crispin_freeman_fansite] Kare KANO AND DIGIMON
> >
> > Crispin, what was like to on Digimon? You worked with some of the
> > original actors on Wolf's Rain: Joshua "Hige" Seth was Tai on Digimon
> > and Toboe was done by Izzy's voice actress, Mona Marshall. Sad though
> > as Joshua is now doing his hypnosis and comedy tours much of the year,
> > he's retired from anime roles. I love how you do Thomas' personality
> > that he tries to figure it all out in Zelgadis' voice. Since Zel is
> > one of those characters that is more like your natural voice, I love
> > hearing Zel's voice.
> >
> > I also have a question about Kare Kano: This was essentially your last
> > major New York project, what was it like to work with some of your NY
> > buddies one last time? However, with Bleach and Code Geass, some of
> > your NY buddies work since they are now in LA. Namely, Liam O'Brien
> > who was Asaba and Megan Hollingshead
> >
> > THANKS! Two days until Slayers Revolution starts.
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Dang, I like Joshua Seth.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Of course, it's hard to speculate on any voices at the moment, as Monster probably won't be announced, much less released, for quite a little while.

Viz has already stated that they're looking for a TV deal and that the DVD release should be sometime in 2009. This was said at AX.

Veoryn87 wrote:
I'm predicting a lot of complaints about accents when this dub comes out.

Does the Japanese version have accents? If so, then it's a valid complaint. Though I don't think there are many VAs in North America that have German accents. Confused

Tony K. wrote:
To tell you the truth, I haven't really kept up with much of anything in the anime world for about 10 months. The last anime I remember watching were Hajime no Ippo in December and Code Geass around May. I've probably read more manga than watched anime all this time, to tell you the truth.

Yeah, you were gone for quite a while, too. Good to see back. Smile

All you really need to know about the anime world from these last few months is this: FUNimation owns all. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
I'm predicting a lot of complaints about accents when this dub comes out.

Does the Japanese version have accents? If so, then it's a valid complaint. Though I don't think there are many VAs in North America that have German accents. Confused

While it's a little difficult to tell since I'm not sure what Japanese with a German accent would sound like, I'm pretty sure they didn't try for accents.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Whaaaaaa???!!!!

Monster getting dubbed?! Release 2009?!?!?

When did this happen! You totally made my day!
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I am also a member of freemans board, lol. Thats how i found out that Joshua Seth retired, such a shame. In any case, I wouldn't wanna hear Freeman in Monster, not cause I think he's bad, its just that he's overused right now. It would have been good to hear Tara Platt get a larger part, but at least she's in it somewhat.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked Liam O'Brien to play Tenma only because he sounds the most like Hidenobu Kiuchi who played Tenma in the Japanese cast, but Crispin Freeman is still a good choice. He may be overused in a lot of dubs and does not have much range to his voice but he has proven himself to be one of the best in the business.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that's excellent! I haven't seen any of Monster yet, but I've been wanting to check it out after hearing so many people rave over it, and a lot of people saying fans of Death Note will like it. I'll have to check it out, for sure. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3