• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zaregoto & Faust

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Both are licensed by Del Rey so I'll start with Zaregoto.
Is it going to be translated by Andrew Cunningham?
I thought his translation for the Death Note novel was great, so since Zaregoto is by Nisio Isin, I figured for consistency (Since he is also translating Nisio Isin's xxxHolic novel) will he be doing it for Zaregoto?

Also? What is Zaregoto all about? I've heard that it's a really good series but I haven't heard much about the story.

And then there is Faust, in Japan it's a anthology of stories by Nisio Isin, Kouhei Kadono(Boogiepop) and other authors.
But what's the deal with it's English release?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:

And then there is Faust, in Japan it's a anthology of stories by Nisio Isin, Kouhei Kadono(Boogiepop) and other authors.

Well, here is an early review of it.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
ryusaki wrote:

Well, here is an early review of it.

Oh wow thanks.
I usually go online to AoD, but I must've missed that.

But Whoaa.

I don't like the idea of those exerts, especially since I'm going to by xxxHolic Another Holic. Laughing , but then again, I like the idea.
A lot of those stories seem really interesting, so I'm DEFINATELY planning on checking it out.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
I almost never read this forum, sorry if this is a late response.

ryusaki wrote:
Both are licensed by Del Rey so I'll start with Zaregoto.
Is it going to be translated by Andrew Cunningham?

No, I was too busy working on Goth and a bunch of stuff Tokyopop will never publish. I am doing a bunch of Faust, though.

Quote:

Also? What is Zaregoto all about? I've heard that it's a really good series but I haven't heard much about the story.

People tend not to talk about the stories since the actual plots give so little sense of what makes the books something special.
The first novel is about an island where geniuses gather, and a murder mystery breaks out...and the one ordinary person on the island decides to solve it before the detective character arrives.
But all of that is an excuse for a Salinger style character study, and it really seems to have hit home with that generation - Nisioisin was 20 at the time, and right in line with what his readers were feeling. I found it a little later, but it was still very much what I remembered feeling - or being afraid of becoming - at that age.

Quote:

The English version is an anthology drawing stories from several different volumes of the Japanese magazine - sort of a best of Faust deal.
For the first issue I did four stories - a chapter from the xxxholic novel, the surreal Drill Hole in the Brain by Japan's craziest writer, Otaro Maijo, a short story involving Doraemon tools in the real world by the author of Goth, and the first story in the Kouhei Kadono series.
There's a bunch more stuff in there; several manga shorts, and chapter from Garden of Sinners.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1