• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross: DYRL toys on sale

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
Obviously, Harmony Gold is adding more fire to the copyright war between Big West and Tatsunoko. FYI, HG has the international rights to the Macross TV series only, in accordance to Tatsunoko's copyright ownership. Tatsunoko and HG have absolutely no rights to the other Macross titles (Do You Remember Love?, Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross 7 and Macross Zero). As a result, HG and Toynami releasing DYRL variants of the Robotech Super-Poseables is a direct copyright violation.

Care to comment on this situation?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:53 am Reply with quote
HG has very very good lawyer who insist they own all rights to Macross everywhere outside of Japan. Only with their permission can anything be done. Now, they did allow for the great restored set to come out, but they have made it hard for other Macross anime to come here. Macross 7 and Zero should all ready have plans to be released, however, HG has made it difficult to settle in this nation. I hope for a settlement, and hope they figure out the money they are missing.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:01 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
HG has very very good lawyer who insist they own all rights to Macross everywhere outside of Japan. Only with their permission can anything be done.

That's the exact problem right there. If that's the case, why did they allow U.S. Renditions and Manga Entertainment to licence Macross II and Macross Plus from Big West without such permission from HG? The answer is simple: HG does NOT own the copyright of those two titles.

(Author's note: Macross: Do You Remember Love? was previously released in the U.S. as Macross in Clash of the Bionoids.)

As a matter of fact, here's what I found at the U.S. Copyright Office:

Quote:
Item 1 OF 5 V3483 P140 (COHD)
Date Recorded: 19Apr02
Date Executed: as of 2Jan02; 20Mar02
Assignor: Manga Entertainment, Inc. & Palm Entertainment Properties, LLC.
Assignee: Warner-Elektra-Atlantic Corporation.
Note: 1998 UK breakdance championship & 204 other titles. Guaranty and security agreement.
Document Location: (In V3483 D139-141 P1-56)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item 2 OF 5 V3483 P140 (COHD)TITLE: Macross II (OVA & theatrical version)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item 3 OF 5 V3483 P140 (COHD)TITLE: Macross plus.

Item 4 OF 5 V3483 P140 (COHD)TITLE: Macross II (OVA & theatrical version)

Item 5 OF 5 V3483 P140 (COHD)TITLE: Macross plus.

Quote:
Item 1 OF 8 V2317 P397 THRU 398 (COHD)
Date Recorded: 23Nov87
Date Executed: 9Nov87
Assignor: National Peregrine, Inc.
Assignee: Celebrity Home Entertainment, Inc.
Note: Battle for moon station dallos & 8 other titles. Short form agreement.

Item 2 OF 8 V2317 P397 THRU 398 (COHD)TITLE: Macross in clash of the bionoids.

Item 3 OF 8 V2640 P302 THRU 304 (COHD)
Date Recorded: 2May91
Date Executed: 31Jan91
Assignor: Celebrity Home Entertainment, Inc.
Assignee: Fidelcor Business Credit Corporation.
Note: Battle for Moon Station Dallos & 8 other titles; motion pictures. Produced by National Peregrine, Inc. Assignment for security and mortgage of copyright.

Item 4 OF 8 V2640 P302 THRU 304 (COHD)TITLE: Macross in clash of the Bionoids. PAu 740-323 (1985)

Item 5 OF 8 V3463 P485 (COHD)
Date Recorded: 5Jan01
Date Executed: as of 21Dec00
Assignor: Screen Media Ventures, LLC.
Assignee: Atlantic Bank of New York.
Note: Access code & 249 other titles; motion pictures. Copyright security agreement and power of attorney.
Document Location: (V3463 D485 P1-13)

Item 6 OF 8 V3463 P485 (COHD)TITLE: Macross in clash of the bionoids. PA 811-404 (1984)

Item 7 OF 8 V3464 P368 (COHD)
Date Recorded: 23Jan01
Date Executed: as of 10Aug00; date of cert.: 19Jan01
Assignor: CME Entertainment, LLC.
Assignee: Screen Media Ventures, LLC.
Note: Access code & 125 other titles; feature films. Copyright assignment.
Document Location: (V3464 D368 P1-4)

Item 8 OF 8 V3464 P368 (COHD)TITLE: Macross in clash of the bionoids.

See Harmony Gold listed on the statements above? I rest my case.

And do you know why HG can even afford lawyers? It's because they can get away with charging fans $80 for their poor quality Masterpiece Collection toys that probably cost $5 to produce.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
max_genus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And do you know why HG can even afford lawyers? It's because they can get away with charging fans $80 for their poor quality Masterpiece Collection toys that probably cost $5 to produce.

Precisely why I refuse to purchase this garbage.
If I'm going to lay out nearly $100, I'll go the extra and get the fabulous Yamato-made *transformable* versions!

I will never forgive HG for keeping my beloved DYRL? from coming ashore in her original form. .

Being introduced to DYRL? was the reason I was able to get beyond the US-distorted animated programs and discover the REAL world of anime - Thanks to Newton Ewell spotting me in a Roy Fokker (Robo-wreck) outfit at a Baltimore convention in 1986.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:27 am Reply with quote
Well, folks, Harmony Gold continues to use mecha that don't belong to them. Take a good look at this concept cover for Robotech: Invasion #5 by Tommy Yune from Wildstorm Comics. If you can find exactly what's wrong with this picture, give yourself 10 points.

max_genus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:35 am Reply with quote
Gee...

Isn't that a VF-19 from Plus / 7? Confused

Must be a rreeaall good lawyer they got there. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1