• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Victory Dance

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
escahime65

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Look, a collection with Death Note, Girl Got Game and Imadoki!

Ah, a man after my own heart. Very Happy

Also, that Shuffle! is starting to sound scary. I'll stay far far away from that.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Gee, first a call-back to the Oxford comma, and then she blows it with a double-clutch in the third Shuffle paragraph. Having both Perishables and Shelf Worthies in the same column must really throw things off.

On the plus side, the review of Emma has pretty well shoved this title as far away from the fence as possible. No blind sale, period. Just not my cup of tea. It also cements my beyond-perishable-impression of Aquarion. Giant mechas fighting microbes ... riiiiight, let me get right around to buying that one.

As to the collection, the lack of even numerical order (though seemingly confined to the first pic) hurts my brain.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
Always enjoy the reviews Bamboo.

The way you keep talking about Shuffle, is exactly the reason i ordered the series in its entirety. Not to mention the first two episodes being streamed on Funimations site, but thats a different story.

Seen one harem, seen em all for most part, but i think this one has enough differences to justify getting it non-the-less. Why? Just because it tends to do things that are not the atypical execution of harem anime. I've heard some other things about the series as well that pic my interest. I think this title might well be good just because it is so strange, and you just can't say that about every series that comes down the line. Maybe i'm off base Bamboo, but it doesn't sound like you werent at least mildly entertained.

And i agree, full release boxsets so you can watch the full story all at once. Greatness. Cool
oldyoshi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
FLAG was great but now I want a sequel! It was kinda tough getting through disks 1-3 but disk 4 made it worthwhile. (I'm not much of a mecha fan either...)
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
I'm still on the fence on collecting Shuffle and most likely will just pick up the Viridian for it when it's release. I actually also avoided Aquarion due to the initial reviews and low ranking at ANN. After reading this review (I'm a big mecha fan and am currently enjoying Zegapain's release) I think I will go out and buy both collections the next time it's on sale at TRSi.

Flag and Emma are really amazing and both seem to have a great adult angle towards anime. The book which is included with Emma is really gorgeous. Although I was really tempted to get my name on the Lord of the Rings and Captain Tylor DVDs I ended up passing on both of them and regretting it, so this time I made sure to get my name on Emma.

Are those the HD remastered editions of Macross in that pic? I've about given up on the Macross movie being released in the States, and am really considering buying the newly remastered R2 edition as well.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
the final two episodes of Flag were absolutely amazing. i mean i already liked the show a lot, but after that dramatic finale, it became a masterpiece. it's a shame more people don't appreciate this series.

oldyoshi wrote:
FLAG was great but now I want a sequel! It was kinda tough getting through disks 1-3 but disk 4 made it worthwhile. (I'm not much of a mecha fan either...)

i personally think they wrapped everything up perfectly, i can't see any room to do anything else. i mean spoiler[Saeko's dead]. if they make sequel, it wouldn't feel the same.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
Coincidentally, Animax-Asia is re-running their English dub of EMMA. Good, but only a couple of cast members even try doing a British accent, and one of them is actually from the UK. Then again bad accents would be more distracting in a show like this. Does anyone still do anime dubs in the UK?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:25 am Reply with quote
A good Animax dub, you say? Interesting, I might check that out, since I am considering purchasing Emma after all the rave reviews it's gotten here.

As for Flag; I don't think it needs a sequel, either. The show wrapped up perfectly, and it was satisfying from start to finish. Also, I found that little bit they tacked on at the end of the credits for the last episode hilarious (yeah, not exactly the right word to use, but it definitely got a chuckle out of me).

So, there's flesh-eating microbes in Aquarion? The first thing that reminded me of was Lilliputian Hitcher Wink
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote
Despite the issues with the mono audio, Emma is still one of the best releases to come out this year. Very beautiful tale, although I was left heartbroken with how the first season ended. But I really did enjoyed the series, and most certainly I will order the second season very soon. Outside of Vivian (who I found rather annoying), I liked all of the characters in the series, and most especially Emma. The artwork was very clean and flowing, and the voice acting was outstanding, especially the actors that played Emma and William. They played their characters perfectly in my view. Well done on all fronts.

The Gazette was a great edition, though I had to try to prevent myself from reading it while I was watching the series as the first few pages actually contained plot spoilers for each of the 12 episodes. However I did like the way the synopses were formatted, and overall the booklet was well done by the Nozomi crew.

And my name is on the Emma DVD (it's on the first disc) so I'm very happy and proud to see it there Cool .
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Coincidentally, Animax-Asia is re-running their English dub of EMMA. Good, but only a couple of cast members even try doing a British accent, and one of them is actually from the UK. Then again bad accents would be more distracting in a show like this.

Smashing. This'll give me a gleeful post-Hellsing opportunity to bash the quality of dub actors' accents.

Quote:
Plus now there are seven different kinds to choose from! Imagine if you mixed them all together! They don't even use Oxford commas in their press releases, which just makes me sad.

One man's sadness is another man's joy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
No matter what this person says, I'm still going to keep buying Shuffle DVDs. Mostly because I like it, but I'm not shelling out the money to buy the end box unless it comes at a good price at Best Buy. FYI, I get all my anime DVDs from Best Buy because they sell them at the cheapest price. I just hope Shelf Life's next article talks about the Beck: Complete Series DVD Set because I'm buying it.

As for Flag, I like to try buying it because it seems interesting. Though I might just wait until it comes out on Season Box Set.

As for the collection (I seriously should send in a picture of mine because I got way more manga and a lot of DVDs sooner or later), it pretty good. That person has Gacha Gacha, which I would like to have in my collection. Anyways, from all of those books, I have Negima!, Death Note, Tsubasa, Love Hina, and Genshiken.
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
Surprised I want a paper lei!

I'm not that envious of that guys collection because I own/have read about all the shojo titles, as well as AI Love You and Negima.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Coincidentally, Animax-Asia is re-running their English dub of EMMA. Good, but only a couple of cast members even try doing a British accent, and one of them is actually from the UK. Then again bad accents would be more distracting in a show like this. Does anyone still do anime dubs in the UK?
Chance would be a fine thing. No UK dub of Emma would be no dub at all for me, which subtracts to no sale sadly.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
I bought the first boxset of Aquarion a few weeks ago, and I've been strangely gripped by it. I can't really explain it, as the show itself is a complete mishmash of themes and plotlines from Evangelion, Escaflowne, Voltron, and Robotech, but somehow it works. Maybe it's the hauntingly beautiful soundtrack, or perhaps it's just because of the awesome mechs. Whatever it is, it compelled me to buy the second boxset as well.

No, it's not the greatest mecha show ever made, but it is a lot of fun to watch, and very entertaining. If you like mecha at all, this series is worth checking out.
silentystolen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
That water you mentioned? It was brought up in the new scientist feedback section, where they basically took the mick out of it. It's very far from scientifically correct, and if it was it would have serious consequences (can't remember what but it was very LOL worthy) I don't think anyone is idiotic enough to belive it- or atleast I hope : )

I've heard alot of good things about Emma, however there's nothing I hate more than victorian romance Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3