• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Emma Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
Hear, hear! (clink!)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
I just got my copy in the mail recently, and just picked up vol 1-3 of the manga today as well, and I must say so far it's a breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, I love many of today's other anime series but so many just seem like carbon copies of other series. While at it's core Emma may not be really unique with the romantic aspect in it, it is very refreshingly simple yet elegant. I think of it as almost like reading a nice leisurely book. The series itself is very pretty with character designs and backgrounds and the attention to details is staggering for me at least. So far I consider it once of the best purchases I've made anime wise this year. Though Aria might top it as I have been waiting for that series with baited breath.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
Emma sucks! Kidding - my name's there. Laughing

Though it is the product of the time period, some may compare the character Emma to the Belldandy floormat syndrome (who just follows her man, while others may argue because she's just shy) - but that's probably a debate for another day.

Anyway which ways, for either reason, it's a character one probably won't see done in America - simply because some women's group will crucify them for it (even though, as mentioned, it's a product of the time). Smile
leongsh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quote
The DVD set of Emma Season 1 is an absolute steal even at full list price. Certain DVD selling sites have a price after 30-40% discount which makes it such an unbelievable bargain for what one is getting.

And one is getting a well-realised tale of social differences and romance in the Victorian age. When I first watched it as it was broadcast, the show bowled me over with a freshness of its mature story and all-very-human characters. It was a respite from the usual anime fare and thoroughly appreciated.

p.s.
My name is in there too as one of the AoD bloc who pre-ordered the sets.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
I keep thinking that I need to give this show another try. I originally started watching the first episode, but got annoyed at the slow pace the main characters standing around, looking at each other and blushing. Presumably this second part at least does end.

I may have to at least read the manga, because it's an easier investment to rationalize than even the low price for this DVD set. And it worked for Honey & Clover, which I had the same initial reaction to but now absolutely love.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
As I mentioned on the Shelf Life thread, Emma is one of the best releases to come out this year. Nozomi did a fantastic job with this release despite the issues with the audio (and to a lesser degree, the lack of an English dub). I marathoned the series the day after I received it from TRSI and it was well worth my time. Very beautiful series. Definitely getting the second series, especially with the way the first series ended I need to see how the rest of the story played out.

And my name is on the DVD too, though it's not grouped with the AoD bloc of names.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Emma got a good review. I've only read the wonderful manga, but I'm quite certain I'll love the anime, dubbed or not. So much so that my name is on the third DVD (and should also be on the third DVD of the second set). I'll be sitting down to watch this soon. I did try watch the first few episodes with my sister, but it was directly following Wall-E so the drop-off in animation quality in comparison was a bit too distracting at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hkamp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
It sounds like a very interesting series. It's one that keeps catching my eye, though I've not tried it yet.

Although... one thing that kept bothering me when I was reading the review. Jane Austen was of the Georgian period, not Victorian.

I know it shouldn't bother me, but with all the English History fans in my family the difference has been made, exceptionally clear.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
This series managed to annoy and bore me during the first episode because they just spent it blushing and not accepting nice gestures from each other but everybody has been giving it such good reviews that I might have to try it.
skyechan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
I absolutely adored Emma and as soon as I found out RightStuf was taking preorders I preordered season 1 and 2 on the same day. Laughing I had seen all of season 1 before but it definitely deserves another watch. I didn't manage to see all of season 2, so it'll definitely be a pleasant surprise to see how the story ends when that set is released. <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
I'd finished the manga a couple months ago, and I was curious how the anime would turn out. Sad there's no dub, I'm sure they could hire some British actors who could steal the show. Smile
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
I LOVE this show. I cannot wait to receive season 2 in the mail in the fall. Yes the pacing is slow, and there's a lot of 'shy blushing,' but that's really what the time period is all about. The characters are endearing and the attention to detail is astounding. Nozami did a fantastic job with this anime, and with an excellent price, it should not be missed.
MARl0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but without the dub, I just can't justify paying $50 for it, and sitting through a whole series without it. For me, anime just loses everything without a dub.

*puts up flame shield*
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching Emma a couple of times before I finally got into it. Totally my fault. I don't think I was in quite the right frame of mind for something subtle and quiet as this series is. I forced myself to give it my 5-episode-rule and now I appreciate it.

Dickens, Austen and Bronte being my three favorite authors, this is right up my alley, but don't let the time period scare you. This is just plain lovely.

I'm looking forward to ordering it from TRSI.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
MARl0 wrote:
I'm sorry, but without the dub, I just can't justify paying $50 for it, and sitting through a whole series without it. For me, anime just loses everything without a dub.

*puts up flame shield*

I do sympathize to a degree with you. I prefer dubs myself. I am very sad that a wonderful series like Emma, and Aria coming soon, have not gotten dubs while other shows that hardly have their quality get ones. Thats just life though. So while I prefer dubs I am not going to pass up a wonderful series like Emma because it doesn't have one. other shows though.....maybe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4