• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Passion of the Answerman

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:23 am Reply with quote
Kino's a girl?

I've only seen the first episode also, but I thought she was a he.

edited for spelling

Last edited by Legato 2057 on Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:54 am Reply with quote
Apparently the topic is up for debate, but I got emails from people (read: about 100 emails or so inside the first 8 hours of the column being live) saying that it's later revealed that Kino is a girl.

-Z
Tsu-na-mi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The first 3 episodes don't really approach the subject, and from all outward appearances Kino seems like a teenage boy. Episode 4 however involves Kino's origins (and Hermes as well)and it is revealed in no uncertain terms that Kino is indeed a girl.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:58 pm Reply with quote
So, what everybody is saying is that Answerman accidently ruined a major plot surprise for some people. Wink
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
So, what everybody is saying is that Answerman accidently ruined a major plot surprise for some people. :wink:

IMO, it's not a major plot point if it's in the first _4_ episodes.. which is what one would find on the first DVD. :p

That's like saying, Ayumu Kasuga is spoiler[nicknamed Oosaka]! Gasp! Horror of horrors. Did I ruin spoiler[Azumanga Daioh] for you? I mean, she's an essential figure throughout the series. :p

Or, for spoiler[Evangelion]: spoiler[Shinji controls Eva-01]... Those people who are avoiding ALL information about a title will be a tiny bit disappointed... but it's not like ADV's going to build suspense for the title by writing on the back cover:

"Neon Genesis Evangelion: A production about a protagonist and his/her conflicts (mental/physical/spiritual/economic/social or otherwise) within himself/herself and externally to himself/herself. Watch as he/she reaches an apex and descends towards a conclusion! Contains many minutes of video and audio footage, in a language!" (can you make Eva DVD 1 more vague?)

Nor do I think ADV will say: "Kino's Journey, a tale of a child as he/she does stuff! Is she a boy? or is he a girl?! Find out in episode 4!"

It's not earth-shattering knowledge like, spoiler[what happens to Asuka later in Eva] or spoiler[how many times the various AzuDai girls fail their entrance exams] or spoiler[boy, you're just asking to have a major spoiler dropped on ya...] and things like that.

Buddhism would say the following:
If you set yourself up for a "great experience", once you've had it, you'll say, "That was great... but I wish it could've lasted longer" or "I wonder if they'll make a 2nd season.." or "I loved it, but I think this scene could've been done better.".. but never: "Wow. That was great. I do not need to do anything anymore, because my life is complete."

So why set yourself up for craving, since craving causes suffering? That's sorta my philosophy with regard to spoilers. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
molloaggie wrote:
So, what everybody is saying is that Answerman accidently ruined a major plot surprise for some people. Wink

IMO, it's not a major plot point if it's in the first _4_ episodes.. which is what one would find on the first DVD. :p

That's like saying, Ayumu Kasuga is spoiler[nicknamed Oosaka]! Gasp! Horror of horrors. Did I ruin spoiler[Azumanga Daioh] for you? I mean, she's an essential figure throughout the series. :p

Or, for spoiler[Evangelion]: spoiler[Shinji controls Eva-01]... Those people who are avoiding ALL information about a title will be a tiny bit disappointed... but it's not like ADV's going to build suspense for the title by writing on the back cover:

"Neon Genesis Evangelion: A production about a protagonist and his/her conflicts (mental/physical/spiritual/economic/social or otherwise) within himself/herself and externally to himself/herself. Watch as he/she reaches an apex and descends towards a conclusion! Contains many minutes of video and audio footage, in a language!" (can you make Eva DVD 1 more vague?)

Nor do I think ADV will say: "Kino's Journey, a tale of a child as he/she does stuff! Is she a boy? or is he a girl?! Find out in episode 4!"

It's not earth-shattering knowledge like, spoiler[what happens to Asuka later in Eva] or spoiler[how many times the various AzuDai girls fail their entrance exams] or spoiler[boy, you're just asking to have a major spoiler dropped on ya...] and things like that.

Buddhism would say the following:
If you set yourself up for a "great experience", once you've had it, you'll say, "That was great... but I wish it could've lasted longer" or "I wonder if they'll make a 2nd season.." or "I loved it, but I think this scene could've been done better.".. but never: "Wow. That was great. I do not need to do anything anymore, because my life is complete."

So why set yourself up for craving, since craving causes suffering? That's sorta my philosophy with regard to spoilers. Smile

Well, it seems that ADV gracefully sidestepped the issue and did not use any pronouns in describing Kino's Journey.

From ADV website Kino's Journey description:

"Destination is a state of mind. Travelers not only find themselves in a variety of locations and geographic phenomena, but they also bear witness to the whims of culture and the skewed effects of subtle circumstance. Kino is such a traveler. Sitting astride Hermes, an internal combustion companion, Kino searches for life’s answers, life’s questions, and the myriad of interpretations connected to them. A wielder of cutlery, firepower and a piercing tongue, Kino is ready to embark on a journey unlike any other. Drift along for the ride."

Also, I read another full review of the series and that reviewer managed to say "him" instead of "her" in his review.

I concede that it may not have been a major surprise...but it was definitely a surprise, even though minor. It simply deserved a quick spoiler warning like has been done in the past.

I don't get why people write in asking Answerman what's going to happen in an anime title in the first place.

edit: grammar
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:06 am Reply with quote
BTW, it looks like the Zack of Something Awful is ripping off your Answerman name in an attempt to answer worthless questions. But whatever you do, don't provoke that site, or your bandwidth will be shot to hell.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:41 am Reply with quote
Well, I stole it from Roger Ebert, so fair's fair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1