• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Now Offered in Web Streams & iTunes Store

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote
Awesomeness. I own the sub DVD, but I'm definitely wanting to get the dub as well. I will definitely be checking out the streaming episodes. Very Happy
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
This is a good call...

But I'm betting they'll only do it for this episode, rather than for each one like say Adult Swim with the Fix.

Oh well, still a decent move. People can see it now more easily and it's a good attempt to hook in those who missed it.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I saw both this and Now and Then, Here and There last night, but my sister missed them. I tried to record them for her on DVD, but messed things up and the quality turned out to be pretty much unwatchable. Heh, whoops.

The quality of the iTunes episodes seems pretty good, so I may actually buy those for her. >.>

Now I just need to find where I can get Now and Then, Here and There through legal means, if possible. >.>
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
As expected, most voiced FAIL. Especially Kamina. Not impressive at all. And was there REALLY a need to add "dumbass" instead of "fool"...... must they make Kamia a hilbilly? Yoko's voice is fine.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
As expected, most voiced FAIL. Especially Kamina. Not impressive at all. And was there REALLY a need to add "dumbass" instead of "fool"...... must they make Kamia a hilbilly? Yoko's voice is fine.

As I said before, I own the subtitled DVDs, and they had "dumba**" in the subs there.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
I actually don't mind Simon nor Yoko (when she's serious), but Kamina needs work. I couldn't really believe his character like I did the Japanese voice actor. Ironically, I thought he did rather well at the very beginning before the titles... but that was it. Meh.

It was alright. Although I'm happy the SciFi Channel is showing it. TTGL is a fantastic show

Smile
halo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
And was there REALLY a need to add "dumbass" instead of "fool"......

Perhaps to match the lip flaps?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
And was there REALLY a need to add "dumbass" instead of "fool"......

Perhaps to match the lip flaps?

Touche, my friend. I keep forgetting about that. Simoun was pretty good too. Yoko is half good, she could use some work of the more comedic moments, but her serious voice is good. Kamina needs work, lot's of it. It's just not powerful as it should be. Kamina should be the man who's words make your blood boil. I'm just not feeling this.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
I would rather have a DVD with both the sub anb dub on it, or just the sub alone...

These VOD places really need to get the right format down for releasing them - they need to be multi-sub track and multi-sound track files.
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
nice, im glad i looked at this post cause i forgot that for some reason my satellite service places my shows three hourse earlier (Eastern Time). i was sooo mad to be watching the X-Files theme instead of Gurren Lagann's!!! nothing starts a good day like a good episode!
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Someone here can't appreciate good work.
roesnail

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Onsokumaru wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Someone here can't appreciate good work.

no i think he does. it was a rush job on this dub and you can tell. after hearing all the other good dub work from bandai/bang zoom its disapointing. i kinda wished this show still belonged to adv
halo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I would rather have a DVD with both the sub and dub on it, or just the sub alone...track files.

I'll 2nd that. I hope that the need to release the dual audio discs later was just something necessitated by the unusual way the license changed hands and trying to work out a TV deal while getting a DVD release quick enough to please the licensor.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Just want to throw this in here...

I watched the legal subtitled stream of episode 1 of Gurren Lagann back when ADV still had the show, and watching the dub last night, I was able to follow along much better what was going on, and found the series a lot more enjoyable because of it.

Although I agree that Kamina doesn't sound as forceful in the dub, but that's a minor complaint, and as of right now, I prefer the dub.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Interesting. I saw both this and Now and Then, Here and There last night, but my sister missed them. I tried to record them for her on DVD, but messed things up and the quality turned out to be pretty much unwatchable. Heh, whoops.

The quality of the iTunes episodes seems pretty good, so I may actually buy those for her. >.>

Now I just need to find where I can get Now and Then, Here and There through legal means, if possible. >.>

If you still have a VCR lying around you can get all three NTHT tapes for under $10 at Amazon... or you could spend around $10 per DVD at Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2