• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Escalator Accident at Tokyo Model Festival Injures 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
Because they should be doing this instead - it's much safer. Laughing
calimike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
What AkibaBlog saw...

(Warning: This is some content... 18 over...)
http://en.akibablog.net/archives/2008/08/50708149.html
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
What AkibaBlog saw...

(Warning: This is some content... 18 over...)
http://en.akibablog.net/archives/2008/08/50708149.html

Quite a pileup there. I hope no models got broken in the carnage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Actually, something similar happened at Comic-Con... with the exception of it going backward.... the escalator stopped, and I ended up slamming my shins on the steps, no big deal.... but it also wasn't packed. And yes, they do end up just stopping the escalators.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Ah, take the stairs. We need the exercise anyway...
akichan911

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I actually saw video of this incident on the local news today...had no idea at the time it was an anime-related event.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Obligatory:
Mallrats wrote:
Brodie: Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.

Back to the the topic at hand, I remember seeing this at A-kon a few years ago, with the escalators being shut down. It hadn't occurred to me at the time why, but it makes a whole lot of sense. Luckily there were no serious injuries in this case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Those escalators look to be about double the width of most escalators I've seen in Japan. In any case it’s not terribly uncommon to see escalators in Japan filled to the brim with Japanese people.

BellosTheMighty wrote:
Ah, take the stairs. We need the exercise anyway...

Most Japanese people I've seen are actually rather skinny, especially compared the enormous blubbery otakupods who inhabit America.

Mallrats wrote:
Brodie: Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.

As a boy I always feared the endlessly moving metal steps and that eerie green light; never required any conditioning.

larinon wrote:
I remember seeing this at A-kon a few years ago, with the escalators being shut down. It hadn't occurred to me at the time why, but it makes a whole lot of sense. Luckily there were no serious injuries in this case.

Yeah, it does make sense, but on the other hand most of the escalators I’ve seen shut down had no conventioneers on or around them.

Last edited by daxomni on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Heh, this video even made it on CNN Headline News.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
I remember watching this on CNN and I keep wondering whatever happened to the stand on right side; walk on left side rule? I think it should be a standard in most countries. For this esculator having that many people, it needs that rule.

Edit: I mean, I came across several esculators in Japan following the rule but this one reminds me of the one in Rinku Town (but that had less people).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1