• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Man Arrested for Pirated Anime DVD Auctions

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonbread

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Is this really going to do anything to stop pirating in the long-term? I don't think so.
clsnwbrdr616

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Is this really going to do anything to stop pirating in the long-term? I don't think so.

I hate it when people say this. Maybe it's not doing much, but you can't just do nothing about it!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:

No, but I'm sure it does send out a message to people to make them think. They may be thinking it won't happen to them, until it actually DOES happen.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:

One needs to start somewhere
Look at all crime.
Lots of crimes go unsolved so cops could say the same thing--what's the use of enforcing ANY law? Someone is going to break it anyway. Our jails & prisons are full so wow, it'a all so pointless to arrest any criminals since law enforcement doesn't deter crime.

I have to respectfully disagree with just letting lawbreakers go.
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:

It's better than doing nothing about it. Especially if they start going after people a bit more vigorously. At least in terms of Japan anyway; outside the country is a bit tougher to deal with in terms of bootlegs.

But really, what would you have them do melonbread, nothing? Just throw up their hands and say, "Since we can't stop it let's not fight against it at all." Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
This is also worse than fansubs. This isn't just some group subbing and electronically distributing anime on the internet, it is someone actually stealing and copying the work of others and profiting from it. That's like you going to work and doing a project, only to have a co-worker take the credit and getting any bonus or benefits that result from the work. A loose comparison, but that's the idea.

It's one thing to distribute anime online, as there is some merit to the arguments that it can be seen as free advertising in a sense. However, when a person copies and profits from the work of others and, in the process, floods the market with bootleg products that do nothing to support the industry, then that's just unacceptable.

Last edited by Keonyn on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
These brave men are falling Anime cry
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
melonbread wrote:

One needs to start somewhere
Look at all crime.
Lots of crimes go unsolved so cops could say the same thing--what's the use of enforcing ANY law? Someone is going to break it anyway. Our jails & prisons are full so wow, it'a all so pointless to arrest any criminals since law enforcement doesn't deter crime.

I have to respectfully disagree with just letting lawbreakers go.
Thats why people support the death sentence...we'd have a ton of space in jails.
SeinenAi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
This guy was profiting so it's not like fansubs imo.

However, look at the original price of the box sets he was pirating...uh, who is the criminal exactly? It probably costs like $5 to make, and they sell it for $500? Come. On.

Ps. I am not saying the guy was right to sell it, but maybe people wouldn't have bought from him if the prices were a little less insane!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Onsokumaru wrote:

Now people who sell bootlegs are "brave"? I suppose by your definition of integrity Adolf Hitler was perfection incarnate.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Onsokumaru wrote:

Your cause is well noted, but somewhat looked down upon.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Onsokumaru wrote:
These brave men are falling

Dear gawd I hope that's intentional sarcasm? I mean what kind of person equates piracy with bravery?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:
These brave men are falling

Dear gawd I hope that's intentional sarcasm? I mean what kind of person equates piracy with bravery?
"Taking risks" or "livin on the edge" how's that.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Fansubs I support, but outright piracy of released DVDs I do not. I do not even support fansubs of DVDs, unless they are licensed (yes there are licensed DVD fansubs out there).
SinsI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if he even made a profit with those ridiculous prices he had to pay for those discs in the first place and a minimum amount of premium he charged.

Dragon Ball Dragon Box the Movies set has 26 discs. If they use Double Layer DVD-R's (2$ each) it would cost 52$ just to make it.
And he was selling it for 37$?
OK, if he were using a SL DVD-R's he would make 10$ per box set - but it takes at least 4 hours just to write them all!
That's 20$ per work day - and honestly, a 37 y.o. company employee in Japan earns many, many times that with his salary...
This 25% premium from 9000$ of sales minus 2000$ for the original would make this whole thing a pure money loss.

Something seriously doesn't add up in this story - usually only students and unemployed people bother to sell such bootlegs.

Last edited by SinsI on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:57 pm; edited 6 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6