• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Outlines YouTube Plans to BusinessWeek

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
"Japanese studio executives... suggested he look for fansubs on YouTube."
Excuse me? Can someone repeat that?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Boy, one million dollars is quite a haul to be working on this service.
Kireek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Funimation allready have there own channel on youtube dont they. Also about the looking for fansubs on youtube bit. Kind of related but does anyone remember years ago when ADV admitted to using fansubs to license Azumanga-dahio...what did John Ledford say earlier this year again?
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:

Japanese studio executives suggested he look for fansubs on Youtube!! Anime exclamation

I know! O.o Maybe, they're starting to see how online fandom = more attention? Spread of word? Makes me want to push Viacom's face against a computer and point to the prosecution of Avatar fanvids just by reading this.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
This is really interesting. When these companies stop seeing anything user-created (COUGHmatroskaCOUGH) as evil, we can start seeing some improvement in online distribution. You know, improvements that will actually make it not only serviceable, but desirable.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quote
Unknown Memory wrote:
narutoismybrother wrote:

Japanese studio executives suggested he look for fansubs on Youtube!! Anime exclamation

I know! O.o Maybe, they're starting to see how online fandom = more attention? Spread of word? Makes me want to push Viacom's face against a computer and point to the prosecution of Avatar fanvids just by reading this.

I don't think this has anything to do with attention for a series. This is more like sarcasm/cynicism... US licensor would like to get a preview of a prospective license. Japanese license holder has no viewable preview available. Japanese license holder points US licensor to illegal content, since they know it's available. And of course, the best part of it... the fact that the person who uploaded said fansub probably had nothing to do with making it, so they're breaking YouTube's Terms of Use. Oh, the tangled web we weave.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Movie producer David Alpert reports that he asked some Japanese studio executives for private screenings of their materials that he might license, but the executives said they lacked subtitled copies and suggested he look for fansubs on YouTube.
Maybe they should've told him to avoid LQ streaming video by checking aSuki...oh wait.
halo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I don't think this has anything to do with attention for a series. This is more like sarcasm/cynicism... US licensor would like to get a preview of a prospective license. Japanese license holder has no viewable preview available. Japanese license holder points US licensor to illegal content, since they know it's available. And of course, the best part of it... the fact that the person who uploaded said fansub probably had nothing to do with making it, so they're breaking YouTube's Terms of Use. Oh, the tangled web we weave.

I don't think that's meant to be sarcastic/cynical, ironic maybe.

Unknown Memory wrote:

Some copyright holders feel that way in all areas, not just anime. The thing is, that's their decision to make and not the fans. And I don't recall Viacom ever taking anyone to criminal court so I don't know where your "prosecution of Avatar fanvids" comes from.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
So much for the "we didn't know! " excuse. Laughing
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Some copyright holders feel that way in all areas, not just anime. The thing is, that's their decision to make and not the fans. And I don't recall Viacom ever taking anyone to criminal court so I don't know where your "prosecution of Avatar fanvids" comes from.

True enough. The copyright holders have a right to say... The creators of the series though liked fanvids and they were ok with them.

And I was being sarcastic when I said that. Viacom took offline a lot of their properties from Youtube which is fine. If it's full episodes of their shows, that's clearly illegal.

Some fans though are just rather peeved a bit of having their fan made videos taken down. Me, on the other hand, is just peeved that Viacom banned my first account only because of one fanvid out of every other video which doesn't contain anything under Viacom's name. They could've removed the vid and I wouldn't mind, but banning the entire account is rather too much. (Or too paranoid...)
yblees

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Good for Kadokawa. I'm glad they're going into direct sales of English licenced material - hope they'll shake up the manga/anime industry some.

New the next step would be to, say, authorise and sell cheap watermarked copies of anime specifically for internet distribution/fansubbing.
Then the fansubbing sites could raise money to buy em, sub & release. Maybe with Kadokawa having first dibs on the sub.
And if you really liked the anime, you could buy and download authorised high quality unwatermarked fansub versions directly from the publisher/producer.

Wouldn't that be something. No messing about with intermediate distributors - and you could get it in any language currently fansubbed - FAST!
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested to see were this will go. I admire Kadokawa for this. Keep the industry alive anyway you can. Though I buy what I can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1