• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sand Chronicles GN 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
This has been on my amazon wishlist since its release. I think I'll have to get it now...
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Hm, sounds interesting. I remember picking up volume 1 a while back, but at the time I knew nothing about it so I didn't bother making the purchase. But now, I might pick this up in lieu of further Suppli volumes. It is weird that Viz didn't sing the manga's praises on the front cover, though.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
I nearly let my Shojo Beat subscription lapse back when they dropped Nana, but I renewed it when they replaced it with Sand Chronicles.

I like that it's primarily a drama (I've become kinda sick of teen comedy), but it’s such a relief to read such a series that doesn’t get overblown and leaden.

My only complaint is that the very first chapter seemed to rush things a bit…we start out with Ann being wary and alienated in her new surroundings, and it seems it’s only a few pages before she’s made close friends and really loves it there…but that’s a very minor nitpick.

I can’t agree enough with this review; Sand Chronicles is the best shojo this year.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
I like the series, but the comic relief moments come off more forced than satisfying.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
Sand Chronicles is the 3rd series of hers to be released in America, actually. Smile VIZ published her oneshot collection of stories called SOS a while ago, too. It might be out of print, but it's a fantastic collection (one made me cry)!
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
I like Sand Chronicles but in my opinion, I find that the reviewer is perhaps over-praising it. When reading this manga, I don't really see a "nuanced, mature vision of contempoary Japanese teenagers". I think it can get very melodramatic/overdramtic at parts and sometimes overdoes it on the sap.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I believe serializing Sand Chronicles on Shojo Beat is one of the best decisions Viz could make with this title. Because otherwise nobody would have picked up (well not nobody but definitely a very low number) inverse as most cases in manga when the first chapters can be a real hook and the rest of the story a mess or dull fest this title starts slowing growing up on you.
I never would have thought I was going to love this title as much as I do now. And I don’t think it should have a lower rating as it was given now.
I believe serializing Sand Chronicles on Shojo Beat is one of the best decisions Viz could make with this title. Because otherwise nobody would have picked up (well not nobody but definitely a very low number) inverse as most cases in manga when the first chapters can be a real hook and the rest of the story a mess or dull fest this title starts slowing growing up on you.
I never would have thought I was going to love this title as much as I do now. And I don’t think it should have a lower rating as it was given now.
Senna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Sand Chronicles getting some more exposure -- it's definitely a gem in the world of shoujo.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I would call Sand Chronicles a slice-of-life series. It's never felt like one to me, because it does have an on-going plot, though admittedly it's a very personal, watch Ann grow up type of plot which is closer to slice-of-life than plots with greater conflict.
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful review. Smile

I like this series, but I'm not entirely sure I would buy it. (I read it in SB) Technically, buying SB IS buying it, but other series too.

I may buy it soon, because I like it so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1