• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
drama VS slice of life

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Use this thread to ask for clarifications about the difference between the drama and slice of life genres.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Kudoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm having a hard time discerning whether "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" is Drama or Slice of Life. I believe it could easily be both. Your thoughts and/or opinions?

P.S. I'm actually leaning more towards drama to be honest.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
I would tend toward drama too. Typically, "slice of life" has been used for stuff that is pretty plotless and follows the life of some character(s) without any point to the story. Clearly, that is not the case of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
What happens when we get something that's clearly NOT either drama OR slice of life?

There is no way in the world that Getbackers is either of these. Getbackers should be listed as adventure.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Then you should select "discard"
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
What happens when we get something that's clearly NOT either drama OR slice of life?

There is no way in the world that Getbackers is either of these. Getbackers should be listed as adventure.

Arguably could be listed as drama: "emotional themes, interpersonal conflicts and tension". Melodrama is still drama, right?

As for why someone might have listed it as slice-of-life, well, many of the episodes deal with simple one-shot episodes that are presumably daily life for the characters. It doesn't hold up too well when you see how many longer running plot arcs there are though.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
What about something like Honey and Clover? It is slice of life, but is also dramatic. Would slice of life be favored because the drama is just a "part" of the day, and there is also comedy and other things as well?

And actually, in the encyclopedia it's listed as both. I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to narrow it so series WON'T have both genres listed? Or just debating what merits each listing since they share some similarities?
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
The audits are still ongoing, so I think once the audit of H&C finishes, only one of the two will be listed.

That said, I was pretty torn on H&C as well. I can't even remember which of the two choices I went with. I think I may actually have gone with slice-of-life for the first season and drama for the second. The first season had a lot less of the intense emotional aspects until the end, whereas drama was the word of the day for the second season. That's just how I viewed it though.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
I hadn't thought about it but I agree with you for those two seasons. It does have a mood switch and changes from just trying to get through college to a more serious tone. Kind of the reason I went with a 10 for the first season and 9 for the second, heh.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
Here's an interesting one:Maison Ikkoku.

As per the slice of life definition, Maison Ikkoku portrays a "slowly paced story that portrays a "cut-out" sequence of events in a character's every-day life."

But when you ask the question, "Would you watch it just for that," I think for most people, the answer is "No." They'd watch it for the "intense emotions of the protagonists through in-depth character development and interaction." Or at least I would,which is why I voted "Drama"...

-t
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
I had the same problem with Maison Ikkoku, but I chose "slice of life" at the end because it think this genre fits it slightly better than drama.

Now, i'm torn again between drama and slice of life for "Anne of Green Gables" (anime)... any opinions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Just so I know I'm not crazy, Nana is drama, not slice-of life, right? In my mind, Nana is a perfect example of a drama anime. Hardly an episode goes by without someone bursting into tears or experiencing a life-changing moment. There's so much drama in Nana that it almost goes overboard at times, yet slice-of-life is listed as one of its genres.

By doing all these audits, I have realized that slice-of-life is one of the most misunderstood genres in the encyclopedia. I have seen slice-of-life listed as a genre for literally dozens of anime that are anything but slice-of-life. I don't know if it's a problem with the description (although I feel it's very clear), but a lot of people seem to be confused about what slice-of-life really is.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
Just so I know I'm not crazy, Nana is drama, not slice-of life, right?

Don't worry, you're not crazy. Or at least not according to this particular test of sanity.
lord eydvar

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
I'm debating if Sand Chronicles is Slice of Life or Drama, the problem is it's both depending on which chapters you read.
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
I was looking up The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and I spotted "slice of life" as a genre. The show might be a lot of things but I think someone is taking the "'cut-out' sequence of events" part of the description for 'slice of life' out of context, and forgot to look at the fact that the show contradicts every other part of it. Or more like 30 people. I tried to submit an error report and it said the audit was closed and that 30 people voted to keep "slice of life" as a genre for this show.

Or I could be wrong. Is Haruhi Suzumiya really a slice of life show?

Quote:
slice of life (plotless everyday life)
A slowly paced story that portrays a "cut-out" sequence of events in a character's every-day life. It may or may not contain any real plot, and often has no exposition, action, conflict, or denouement, with an open ending. It could be said that the story has no point, except for introducing viewers to characters that they can empathize with. Even if the setting is not realistic, what is presented is always the kind of ordinary, every-day life that anyone could have within that setting.

Edit: I just did a genre search for "Slice of life" and it looks like Haruhi isn't the only one being misclassified:

Ouran High School Host Club
Whisper of the Heart
Great Teacher Onizuka
Planetes
NANA
School Rumble

School freaking Rumble?! Seriously?!

And I got these titles in just glancing at the top quarter of the first page of the search. There are a lot of other titles that also look to me like they really don't belong in this genre. I think that audits are really helpful for the genre search in the Encyclopedia but it doesn't look like people are really understanding the "slice of life" genre at all.

Or again, it could be just me; please ignore or correct me if it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3