• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2008 - World Events Productions/VCI Ent.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see that Voltorn beyond the Universe!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Don't really care, since I was only into Bravestarr, and that's already on dvd. It'd be nice if we got Harlock, though.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Too bad there won't be any Bismarck release...I think it'd do at least as decently as GoLion if they'd give it a shot. I think Media Blasters should get ahold of this if Golion does well enough for them. I am glad for a Saber Rider release though. It needs to be seen again. Very cool show, and the theme song is awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
Who says there won't be any Bismarck release (surely the article didn't)? In any event, I'm more interested in getting that then Saber Rider, since, episode order or not, WEP "cheated" by giving us original American created episodes.

As for this statement:

Quote:
World Events itself has also been in negotiations with NickToons regarding a possible new Voltron series that VCI would create to be aired on the cable television channel...

In other words, another American-created series that doesn't know what it's talking about, but more importantly, pretends as though Japan doesn't exist (I'm looking at you Animation Collective, and your "Speed Racer: TNG" series). Boooooo!!

BTW, VCI is a Canadian DVD distributor. How would they be involved in the production of any new series?
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
Despite being at Otakon currently and having gone to bed at 4 AM, I feel compelled to point out a slight errata: the name of the director of Versus, Azumi, and the like is actually Ryuhei Kitamura, though I question whether I'd want to see his take on a live-action Voltron film. Godzilla: Final Wars was awesome and all, but even I have to admit there wasn't really a whole lot of Godzilla fighting as far as screen times goes. I don't think the same approach would work out for Voltron.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Who says there won't be any Bismarck release (surely the article didn't)? In any event, I'm more interested in getting that then Saber Rider, since, episode order or not, WEP "cheated" by giving us original American created episodes.

WEP did 20 eps for Voltron.

Quote:
As for this statement:

Quote:
World Events itself has also been in negotiations with NickToons regarding a possible new Voltron series that VCI would create to be aired on the cable television channel...

In other words, another American-created series that doesn't know what it's talking about, but more importantly, pretends as though Japan doesn't exist (I'm looking at you Animation Collective, and your "Speed Racer: TNG" series). Boooooo!!

BTW, VCI is a Canadian DVD distributor. How would they be involved in the production of any new series?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it. Voltron the 3rd dimension wasn't that bad... Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:

Like I said, they "cheated" by giving us American created episodes. This also applies to these episodes, and the Voltron 3D series you mention. Furthermore:

Quote:
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it.

"Benefit of the doubt" does not apply here. Either way, like the aforementioned Voltron 3D, it's another American-created series that is being made without the participation of the original Japanese creators (namely Toei). It's still "Hyaku Juu Ou Golion" regardless of what you call it. Going back to "Saber Rider...", it's still "Sei Juushi Bismarck" regardless of what you call it.

And at the risk of taking this thread off-topic, I'll stop there. Suffice it to say, Japan DOES exist, despite what certain mainstream American companies (like Warner Bros.; you know what I refer to) would like to think.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Don't really care, since I was only into Bravestarr, and that's already on dvd.

I watched all the space western cartoons on TV in the 80s. Chances are someone's written a crossover fanfic using Saber Rider, Bravestarr, and the Galaxy Rangers.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Vicserr wrote:

Like I said, they "cheated" by giving us American created episodes. This also applies to these episodes, and the Voltron 3D series you mention. Furthermore:

Quote:
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it.

"Benefit of the doubt" does not apply here. Either way, like the aforementioned Voltron 3D, it's another American-created series that is being made without the participation of the original Japanese creators (namely Toei). It's still "Hyaku Juu Ou Golion" regardless of what you call it. Going back to "Saber Rider...", it's still "Sei Juushi Bismarck" regardless of what you call it.

Do remember that 20+ years ago Anime was handled differently, they might not have been faithful to the original material, but became gateways to anime to a lot of people. Astroboy, Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, Force Five, Voltron, Saber Rider, Teknoman and Robotech were the seed for a lot of anime fans. I'm all for the release of the original series and hope that Saber Rider does well enough so we can lobby for a Bismark release.

And about derivative productions... that's just classic corporate thinking, Can''t live with it.. Can't shove it out an airlock. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1