• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Lagoon GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterEd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to read this, I watched the first disc of the anime and loved it, but I heard the manga was coming so I decided to wait. Revy is such a cool character, and as far as I could tell, the series is real different from the norm. And it's coming bi-monthly.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz Media's production of the title comes in an oversized volume at a higher-than normal price point,

Ya sure your not mistaking an Advanced Reader Proof for the final version?
portgas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Quote:
Viz Media's production of the title comes in an oversized volume at a higher-than normal price point,

My copy is no proof and it is $12.99 and larger than the usual. Real is the same. I think it's a differnt imprint for Viz.

I saw the aniome before I read this and still enjoyed this tremendously.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Quote:

Viz doesn't offer galleys. Everything we review of theirs is the final product.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
[...] its size will make it stick out on your manga shelves.

I really, really hate oversized manga. Not only does it tend to drive the price up; it really looks out of place when on a shelf with other regularly-sized manga. I've actually resorted to putting the bigger books on a separate shelf because of this.

On a separate note: Did anyone notice what was said in "Parental Advisory" on the staff page? See below (note the section in bold):

Quote:
Black Lagoon is rated M for Mature and is recommended for mature readers. This volume contains graphic violence, strong language, nudity, adult situations, drinkin', smokin', ass-kickin', law-breakin', gun-love, running with scissors and just about everything your mother ever told you not to do.

I got a hearty chuckle out of that.

portgas wrote:
My copy is no proof and it is $12.99 and larger than the usual. Real is the same. I think it's a differnt imprint for Viz.

REAL is published under the "Viz Signature" line. Black Lagoon isn't published under that imprint, but it is apparently receiving similar treatment (oversized volumes, higher price point). When it comes to the Signature line, Viz usually puts out some quality productions, so I'm happy that Black Lagoon is being handled in a similar fashion. Thankfully TRSI sells the volumes for under $10, which is a much more manageable price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Amen, Hallelujah and Peanut Butter! I'll be picking this one up tomorrow. Cool
Askman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I dislike oversized manga volumes. My top shelf has very thin shelf space, so anything bigger than a normal volume won't fit on the top shelf. That's quite annoying as my Death Note Volume 13 is not next to my other volumes of Death Note.

Anyway, the series sounds interesting. I never saw the anime, but I might check out the manga some time.
Ralboon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
When the hell are they licensing the rest of the series?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting patiently for the US releases of this manga. I'm glad to see that it's finally here and that it keeps the same spirit that makes the anime so awesome to behold. The character interactions really made the anime so wonderful so I'm looking forward to seeing how they play out in the manga. I am disappointed, like many others, about the larger manga size though. However I am lucky in this regard as I have a bookshelf with longer shelves to accommodate the size. When I got a new one I used the early 20 volumes of Oh My Goddess as a size measurement. So thanks to that my bookshelf can handle this larger size easily.Just have to put the volumes at one end of a shelf so they don't stick out too much.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ralboon wrote:
When the hell are they licensing the rest of the series?

The Second Barrage is already licensed and scheduled to start releasing in...holy crap, a week. Sooner than I thought. Man, I need to pick that up.

...Unless you're talking about the recently announced third season, which, considering it is still in pre-production (I think), is unsurprisingly not yet licensed. But of course it'll be a no-brainer once the show starts airing Smile

@Jedi General: Haha, glad to see the folks at Viz have a sense of humor.

Ironically, the only reason I might end up buying the manga is for this:

Quote:
four-page bizarro high school version of the Black Lagoon crew

I'm seriously tempted by that. But then again, an already high American price point, coupled with the mark-ups they tend to give manga here in Australia, will probably stop me from going overboard.

As for the format itself, I actually like oversized volumes. Bigger pictures = better, in my book (not that I'd want anthology-sized manga volumes, but these slightly larger sizes are definitely nice).

Last edited by Big Hed on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
I can't believe releasing manga in larger sizes is now considered a bad thing. Are prettier shelves really more important than prettier contents? Rolling Eyes
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
Good review.

I'm definitely looking forward to adding this manga to my collection. This might even be my first domestic manga to grace (my already imported stuff that I never thought would come over and now pisses me off) shelf.

I'd heard about this show on various blog sites. It was definitely going to be one of those shows I would pass up because a) I had no interest for it and b) I'm very picky about what I like. Which is why I never got into 'Cowboy Bebop' no matter how many people screamed of it being good. I didn't hate it. I watched most of it, but I just never got into it. 'Black Lagoon' is my 'Cowboy Bebop', that it not only delivers high end action but also intellectual side and realistic side that is dark and twisted with black humor while all the while not afraid to make fun of itself. It reminded me of a 'Tarantino' flick. I loved the show. I'm not usually into action movies but I realized that I do have a streak for that sort of thing.

I will be recommending this series for fall reading once more volumes become available. I'll also be trying to get in the DVD series as well. I'm kind of surprised that 'Viz' picked decided o release it here. After I sent letters to other companies who might be interested. But then I forgot one important factor. 'Viz' owns 'Shonen Jump'. 'Black Lagoon' runs in the 'Shonen Sunday DX'. Which also runs 'Berserk' and 'Shin Angyo Onshi'. Never once made the connection. Definitely looking forward to owning the rest of the series. I'm also very pleased to hear about a season 3. I know that 'Hiroe-san' was probably bouncing off the walls when he got the news. In a past blog (after the ending of S2) he stated that he wanted fans to support the series so there could be a season 3. He got his wish.

It be funny if one day they decided to do a live action 'Black Lagoon'.
Bushwack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
Isn't it possible that the lager format(which I like) is more in line with US graphic novels like Dark Knight etc. I think Viz may be going after an audience which is not a regular consumer of manga.

If current trends hold I think you will see a Black Lagoon OVA and a live action project. Just my opinion...
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
It might be worth my time. On the note of the over size thing, I have a seperate section at the end of all my volumes that is completely meant just for the bigger books. Real, Naussica, Cat Eyed Boy, Pokemon Adventures, and the older volumes of Ranma I have are all in this section. I notice Pluto and 20th Century Boys are the same price as this book series, so they might be over size as well. I have no problem with this, but I hate the extra pricing on it. I get why Real would be priced like this because it is the Viz Signature series and a lot of their series come in all shapes and sizes.
Kotatsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
The Second Barrage is already licensed and scheduled to start releasing in...holy crap, a week. Sooner than I thought. Man, I need to pick that up.

If you are in Australia then you should already be able to pick up Second Barrage Vol 1 somewhere now (JB Hifi had it for AU$27.99)
Very Happy I got mine on the 24th July! It’s nice being first for once Wink

Big Hed wrote:
Ironically, the only reason I might end up buying the manga is for this:

Quote:
four-page bizarro high school version of the Black Lagoon crew

I'm seriously tempted by that. But then again, an already high American price point, coupled with the mark-ups they tend to give manga here in Australia, will probably stop me from going overboard.

With the strength of the AU Dollar rising all the time, I have been surprised at how manga prices are dropping in general. I won’t pay more then AU$15 a pop for standard volumes nowadays, as opposed to AU$20-25, five or so years ago. So I would expect (if they bring it down here, fingers crossed) you could get this series for under AU$20 at the right place.

Anyways, I’m glad to see that this review gives the manga the rating it deserves. I somewhat still prefer the anime but any Black Lagoon is gun-totin’ profanity ridden good Black Lagoon!

Also, as a slight pedantic obsessive compulsive myself, I agree with the no likey of larger manga in relation to conformity… but will not put that ahead of the worth of the contents! Plus I just recently got bigger shelves and now have too much room; I have to double stack Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2