• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga, Graphic Novels to Get Hugo Award Category

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news, this is pretty impressive. Must've have taken years of hard work though.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if Watchmen will win in this category.

"Winner of the Hugo Award before its time, and now again!"
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least they're taking the initiative to try and make this possible. It will broaden the grounds to reach more readers and fans of science fiction and manga in general.
Lampbane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Now, only if the video games category had passed muster. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough interest in it, so it didn't get the required votes, probably because science fiction fandom has always been dominated by an older crowd (read: fuddy duddies).
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Lampbane wrote:
Now, only if the video games category had passed muster. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough interest in it, so it didn't get the required votes, probably because science fiction fandom has always been dominated by an older crowd (read: fuddy duddies).

So, what did you nominate as the best interactive video games of 2005?
Lampbane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

So, what did you nominate as the best interactive video games of 2005?

Shadow of the Colossus?
God of War?
Psychonauts?
We Love Katamari?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Sounds a bit like the kind of ghettoizing which keeps animated films from winning a Best Film Oscar.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sounds a bit like the kind of ghettoizing which keeps animated films from winning a Best Film Oscar.

Because there are better movies...?

Jesus Christ you're a complete Japanophile... Just ONCE I'd like to see you post something that makes sense.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Awesome news, this is pretty impressive. Must've have taken years of hard work though.

Actually, all it took was for someone to learn the WSFS Business Meeting process, write up the proposed wording, and submit it for the agenda. The first hurdle is likely the source of most of the inertia. (And I've lately been one of the guilty people who's been muttering "There oughta be a category" rather than making the effort to take the initiative and make that first step.)

Worldcon-- and many other general sf conventions-- have a chicken-and-egg problem when it comes to anime and manga. Because they're volunteer-run, they don't have the programming unless people come to them and say "I know a lot about anime and could do panels on it" or "I could run an anime room for you." Because they don't have the programming, they don't get the attendees who became interested in sf through anime, and those would-be attendees go to anime-only conventions instead, and the gap continues.

So, if you want to do something about it, please find your local general sf convention and offer your expertise. I've met very few sf fans who truly hate anime or manga-- most are willing to embrace sf in any medium, and just don't know a thing about this Japanese stuff yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Well not really, since outside of Watchmen, graphic novels haven't gotten much attention in the Hugo Awards afaik.

Aside from which, I think enough of a differentiation can be made between animation and live action to warrant separate categories.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The shame of this is that anime and manga are getting a Hugo category so long AFTER anime's sci-fi boom era.

Let's face it, with few exceptions - series like Planetes, for instance - anime is moving further and further away from the days when "make it like Blade Runner" was status quo (Bubblegum Crisis, anyone?)

Ah well, at least I can feel assured that eventually Mamoru Oshii will share the same honor as Robert A. Heinlein.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The shame of this is that anime and manga are getting a Hugo category so long AFTER anime's sci-fi boom era.

Let's face it, with few exceptions - series like Planetes, for instance - anime is moving further and further away from the days when "make it like Blade Runner" was status quo (Bubblegum Crisis, anyone?)

Ah well, at least I can feel assured that eventually Mamoru Oshii will share the same honor as Robert A. Heinlein.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
Wonder if Watchmen will win in this category.

"Winner of the Hugo Award before its time, and now again!"

The article wrote:
In WSFS's proposed amendment, Best Graphic Story category is open to "any science fiction or fantasy story told in graphic form appearing for the first time in the previous calendar year."

It will be interesting to see if, over this years, this category is dominated by either "western" comics or manga. One would hope it would be an even distribution, of course, but my hunch is that the manga will get shortchanged.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal said:
Quote:

See the end of the article again-- anime has been eligible all along. (Spirited Away was nominated in 2002, for instance, and Paprika was among the nearly-nominated this year.)

IMHO, the main barrier for anime getting Hugo recognition is its availability to potential voters, which goes back to all the headline problems the R1 industry is having. The more it becomes possible to say "This anime is terrific, and here's a URL where you can watch it a legitimate copy right now", the more you can expect Hugo voters to pay attention to anime.

(And it's also worth nothing that a supporting membership, which is all you need to participate in Hugo voting, is currently $55 for next year's Worldcon...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

Maybe my reading comprehension is taking a disastrous slip today, but I didn't see anything about an 'anime category' or 'manga category' being added? I thought it was just a general 'Best Graphic Story' category, in which the manga form would be eligible alongside Western works. Just that strikes me as good testing of the waters for manga, as the Nebula/Hugo crowd aren't often push-overs, to put delicately. Even the hardcore Japanese sci-fi fans I know/have meet are often pretty rough on anime/manga as anything more than toss-away entertainment for kids. That's not entirely fair, but honestly I don't think there's too much anime/manga material that's got the goods to compete on the Hugo/Nebula level of serious sci-fi (I wish that didn't sound so crusty, but at the same time I think it's true).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3