• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-22]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2-disc special edition DVD (and a Bluray version oh god please) loaded up with extra features starring Pixar honcho and chief Miyazaki ass-kisser, John Lasseter

He was such a fanboy during Miyazaki's visit to the studio. It was very amusing to watch him geek out like that. Very Happy

I felt the first season of the Genshiken anime wasn't as good as the manga, but the second season expanded on some key moments in a way I felt the manga rushed (like Sasahara's job hunt). If nothing else, the "Ogiue's imagination" episode was epicly hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Get well Zac.

So that con goer actually thought the industry as going to end,huh? Funny stuff man.It may be at a low point but it ain't going anywhere.Ask Funimation.They just stocked up for the next 5 or 6 years.They must be planning ahead or something. Laughing

I thought the Trigun anime was better than the manga version.I don't know,I just couldn't get into the sharp faces.The anime kicked ass.

Monkey,D.Luffy:because Naruto can't do nothing against rubber,Eva 01:more agile and super drama filled and Matt Greenfield:because ADV gotta make a comeback sometime.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Lol at this week's Answerfans question.

Really?
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
Lol at this week's Answerfans question.

Really?

I was thinking exactly the same thing. However, sick (in a health kind of way) people can be really capricious Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Although my answer wasn't posted, at least Genshiken was mentioned. I understand there were several emails, but I am glad Genshiken was mentioned though.

Although you weren't feeling well this week, having Justin answering a question was very interesting and a good read. Admitingly, this was a good surprize.

As for this week's question, this should be interesting.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
A great sign that an anime is better than the original manga? When you couldn't tell you were watching filler episodes. EVER. Shocked Let's just say that my want to read D. Gray-man in manga form is pretty much gone now. I'm glad I started watching the anime first. Smile
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow is that really the answer fans question?

Well IMO naruto would rasengan luffy back to the grand line and while gurren lagann definitely has the advantage of being really cool and manly(as kamina would say) Eva unit 01 would eat it up. Literally and that would be the end.

As far as american cartoons in japan go well I wonder how family guy would do over there? I suppose they wouldn't get a lot of the references but still. Maybe home movies or futurama would do better.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
It appears Dorcas_Aurelia's response regarding Elfen Lied did not get published this week. Shame, since they seemed so enthusiastic.

Did you know that procrastination is somewhat related to chemicals in the brain*, and that taking cold medicine will decrease the "desire" to procrastinate? Food for thought.

Where have all the good flakes gone? In fact, where have all the flakes gone period? My Friday afternoon isn't complete if I cannot laugh at the expense of some poor sod. Well, at least I can make fun of Zac. If he isn't enough of a cynical badass, then potential flakes won't be bothered to write in. Been off his game, he has. So, since his behaviour hasn't ensnared a flake this week, I turn on him. Bad Zac, bad. Even that bunny cannot save you, though it sure is cute.

EVA 01 would crush Gurren Lagann, assuming Shinji was on the same level as he was in episode 19. If so, then there's little comparison. At least put up a Mecha match where both sides have a chance. Should Simon ever decide to fight Shinji, he had better write a Will and pick out his tombstone ahead of time.

Well duh, most brain activity is if you break it down enough. Still, bear with me.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:52 am; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of fansubs, there is a large contingency of fans who want the American market for anime to fail. They want anime fandom to revert entirely back to fansubs, which they say are more "pure", as they are done by fans, and not the big, evil corporations that have the gall to trying marketing anime to a wider audience. These "fans", the image board types, the ones that refuse to do anything to support an industry that not only made anime easier for them to obtain, but bent over backwards to do so, are the most frustrating part of the modern anime fandom.

I'm not trying to discount the positive impact fansubs have had as far as introducing certain titles to the fan base, but the people who point this out are usually the ones who never buy the DVDs to start with. They would rather anime remain entirely in Japan, so they can use the lack of availability to justify their cheapness.

The sad thing is, they don't really care about purifying the fandom. Behind all of their rants, all they really want is to get something for nothing. It wouldn't matter where the anime was coming from, they just don't want to contribute to the industry. They wouldn't buy from the studios in Japan if they could, not when they can get it for free. They're ruining everything.

On the subject of anime better than their manga counterparts, it surprises me that somebody would say that Trigun is better in anime form. I've always felt like it wasted a lot of time in the beginning and the Gung Ho Guns were never as developed as they are in the manga. They just seemed like random bad guys in the program. At least it didn't take forever for the story in the anime to finish, but it seemed to manage its time very poorly. Tell me, what sort of twenty-six episode program needs a clip episode? Dragon Ball Z went on forever and never had a single clip episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Concerning the question of the week, the EVA-01 vs. Gurren Lagann match-up depends on two things: is EVA-01 in berserker mode, and is this done at one of the rare points in the series where Shinji actually shows a backbone? If the answer to both is "no" then Gurren Lagann wins by sheer force of will if nothing else. If the answer to either is "yes" then the battle tips heavily in favor of EVA-01, as I can't see Gurren Lagann's drills being enough to pierce an A-T Field capable of protecting a mecha standing near ground zero of a nuclear-level blast.

As for anime better than their manga source, I have found the animated portion of Fruits Basket to be a considerable improvement over its equivalent manga chapters, which seemed sloppy and a bit too quick-paced to achieve their full effectiveness. (For evidence: certain parts of the anime can usually make me tear up, but their manga equivalent scenes have nowhere near the same emotional impact.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning the question of the week, the EVA-01 vs. Gurren Lagann match-up depends on two things: is EVA-01 in berserker mode, and is this done at one of the rare points in the series where Shinji actually shows a backbone? If the answer to both is "no" then Gurren Lagann wins by sheer force of will if nothing else. If the answer to either is "yes" then the battle tips heavily in favor of EVA-01, as I can't see Gurren Lagann's drills being enough to pierce an A-T Field capable of protecting a mecha standing near ground zero of a nuclear-level blast.

As for anime better than their manga source, I have found the animated portion of Fruits Basket to be a considerable improvement over its equivalent manga chapters, which seemed sloppy and a bit too quick-paced to achieve their full effectiveness. (For evidence: certain parts of the anime can usually make me tear up, but their manga equivalent scenes have nowhere near the same emotional impact.)

But couldn't the drill eventually burst if enough power is put into it? I mean, Lillith managed to force through certain AT Fields in End of Eva, so I don't see why the Gurren-Lagann couldn't just give a sheer blast of spiral energy into it to burst through... With their drill.

"If you are going to be a wall that is in my way, I'll drill a hole in you and blow you apart anytime! That... is my Drill!!"
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Either Kamina or Simon would run roughshod over Shinji in...oh...about ten seconds. And Luffy would only need 5. You just can't beat Manly Spirit.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Either Kamina or Simon would run roughshod over Shinji in...oh...about ten seconds. And Luffy would only need 5. You just can't beat Manly Spirit.

When you fight Eva Unit 01, you aren't fighting Shinji. You're fighting his mommy.

And you don't mess with Shinji's mommy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
Wow. I have never, ever heard anyone ever say the D.Gray-man anime was better than the manga before. The anime was fun to watch, but annoyed me greatly in places, and eventually I just gave up on it and stuck with the manga.
EDIT= And Naruto VS Luffy? Puh-leeze. Luffy could win without even trying.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
Ah I got it! If kamina is there gurren lagann has a chance of wining if it's shinji vs simon in the first eps of both series then I'm gonna say shinji because he did have some will power in the first ep. Like making sure that the poor hurt girl (rei) didn't have to fight soon and proving his father wrong. Now if kamina was there I imagine at some point shinji would be invited to get out of his mech (which he would do being shinji and all) and have a "Manly" fight that he would subsequently lose.

Now if it was shinji after ep 19 and simon after ep 10 or so I still say eva wins just because it's bigger and does a much better job recovering itself.
I don't think that luffy really has more "manly spirit" than naruto as a matter of fact as much trouble as I give naruto I believe he would win undoubtedly even if he is spewing off about idealistic crap.
(Sasuke fan here Wink )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6