• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubbing has started for Monster.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
While it's a little difficult to tell since I'm not sure what Japanese with a German accent would sound like, I'm pretty sure they didn't try for accents.

Its pretty much there. Although, I rarely here a good one these days, but it sure helps to know and recognize it better when a German character has something else to go with it. You know like something stereotypical, for example. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Does the Japanese version have accents? If so, then it's a valid complaint. Though I don't think there are many VAs in North America that have German accents. Confused

Hell, how am I suppose to know what a German accent sounds like in Japanese? Smile
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I would have liked Liam O'Brien to play Tenma only because he sounds the most like Hidenobu Kiuchi who played Tenma in the Japanese cast, but Crispin Freeman is still a good choice. He may be overused in a lot of dubs and does not have much range to his voice but he has proven himself to be one of the best in the business.

Crispin is my favorite voice actor, ya, i know he's great and all, but if he gets overused (moreso) then that could really get boring.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
lostinagoodbook wrote:
Whaaaaaa???!!!!

Monster getting dubbed?! Release 2009?!?!?

When did this happen! You totally made my day!

Well, it's been pretty much a given for about half a year now at least. VIZ showed it off at the National Convention for TV Executives and tried to get it on TV (there were at least 2 threads about that at the time). Then at Anime Expo last weekend they were asked about it and confirmed that they had it and were aiming for a 2009 release either on DVD or TV whichever they can wrangle.

Personally, it was fantastic news that had me celebrating quite a bit since I'm a huge fan of the series.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Hell, how am I suppose to know what a German accent sounds like in Japanese? Smile

Um...good point. Laughing

Even though there aren't that many actors that can do German accents (to my knowledge), I think they will be present in the dub. If anything, the actors might have to get accent lessons. Razz

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I haven't seen any of Monster yet, but I've been wanting to check it out after hearing so many people rave over it, and a lot of people saying fans of Death Note will like it.

Yeah, I'd say that's true. Though, I'd say that Monster is definitely more down-to-Earth than Death Note.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm not so sure really. Death Note was aimed at a teenage audience, while Monster is aimed at more of an adult audience. DN deals in the supernatural while Monster is realistic in just about every way. Even the atmosphere and the mood they both have are different. I can't really see them being compared.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Death Note and Monster are completely different franchises.

Yes, they are both dialogue-heavy titles, but the main difference is the direction and pacing of the stories. DN, while full of talk, actually manages to progress things rather quickly. They give you some semblance of Light's plan, build up the drama, sometimes give him a counter-decision to make, then bam, suspense has been made for anticipation of next week's episode.

Monster, on the other hand, can take about twice as long, and even branch off to a side story of its own at some points. And on top of the story, there's much, much more depth to not only the main characters, but many of the secondary and tertiary ones as well. Some might even claim these episodes to be episodic and have nothing to do with the plot. Wrong. Urasawa is never one to waste a single drop of ink in his writing, be it for the suspenseful storyline or underlying morals and life lessons he tries to incorporate between his characters and the subtlety of their presence in the overall work. But that may ultimately be the drawback as well. Not everyone is in to that kind of storytelling, and it really does draw the series out, which can really test one's patience.

DN is straight-up shounen, only the "action" is disguised as rapid decision-making, flashy hand-writing, shinigami flying around, and big plot twists. Yes, it's enjoyable and entertaining, but the pacing is still fairly quick. And in 37 episodes, it'll be done before you know it because just about every episode is guaranteed to leave you hanging.

Now, Monster is straight-up seinen. The intended demographics are probably around 5+ years apart, so I would not recommend this to those that really like DN for its story. While the scope of Monster's plot may sound very well-written with the potential for a lot of plot twists, the franchise has always been more so a character study with Johan and all that other stuff in between. And with over double the episode count, 74, there's a lot more time to fill (or more character to develop, depending on your outlook).

Monster moves sooo much slower than DN. There's not a lot of "action" at all, and unless you're into psychological analysis (as opposed to psychological warfare in DN), then I can tell you now that you will not like this series. Not that it's the "Satoshi Kon" kind of psychological, but it's pretty plodding, nonetheless.

This is not a battle of wits, and it's not about saving the world. It's one man who feels he made a mistake, and he's struggling to find out how he'll correct it at the end (though with much, much more in-between that I don't want to spoil).

It would murder this franchise's name in the U.S. if they ever put it on [adult swim]. Starz or IFC might be a good choice. There's nothing particularly flashy or eye-catching about the series from a superficial perspective, but if marketed right, I think this could open the door to a few more new anime fans. I actually wish they'd put this right after Law & Order, but fat chance of that happening...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree, that it would do absolutely terrible with AS's attention span deficient viewers just look how badly Witch Hunter Robin did for example which has kind of the same plodding character driven pace and attention to atnosphere and mood.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Even though you guys say that it might end up badly for Monster if it'll end up on [as], I think that's ultimately where it'll go. I don't think that Viz has had any of its shows on a channel that wasn't Cartoon Network.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
AS will definitly not work for Monster. It needs a broadcaster that reaches a more mature audience.
MrVince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Does the Japanese version have accents? If so, then it's a valid complaint. Though I don't think there are many VAs in North America that have German accents. Confused

I'd love to see a German dub of this series with English subtitles. That would so rock!
madscientist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I have been waiting on news of this for ages. I can't wait! I love the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
Watashi wa Ryuzaki wrote:
AS will definitly not work for Monster. It needs a broadcaster that reaches a more mature audience.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Maybe IFC will pick it up. Probably not though.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote
What's a more mature audience? A really really small one? That's what IFC reaches.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
I guess the question is if it is better to reach a small audience that matches the broadcaster's expectations, or reach a small audience that makes the broadcaster cancel it after the first season. Cause that's what'll probably happen if it runs on [as]. At least on IFC it would run uncut. Sci-Fi would hack it to pieces with commercials and running length.

I'd just be happy to see it anywhere. And if they cast Troy Baker as Tenma, I'd be delieriously happy. As he demonstrated in Trinity Blood, he's got the range to do the obsequious Tenma as well as the toughened up version. I imagine Mona Marshall will probably be Dieter and Kirk Thornton might be Lunge. I'd also like to see Dave Wittenberg as Grimmer. But whoever they cast as Johann has to have a voice like silk, and most of the people I'm thinking will likely get the nod just have too much gravel in their voices now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3