• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pokemon: Diamond & Pearl Dub.DVD 1-2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
This is a fair review. At this point, you either like the series or you don't.

I'm also glad that the reviewer saw Team Rocket in a positive light. Some fans hate that there's no sense of a true villain, but their comic relief is one of the few things that keep me watching the show.

And the original BGM is much better, for the record. PUSA's dub music seriously sucks. It's like they're using a $10 synthesizer.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow.

So Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl looks to be the new Death Note. I better pre-order it now.

Wow.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching Pokémon around when it switched from CITV to Sky One, kind of early in Johto. Is it worth trying to catch up?
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I like the pokemon anime, but I love Team Rocket. I'd watch it just for them!
Mevious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Dawn's cute. That's why I watch the show.

(Secretly, I'm still a sort-of diehard Pokemon fan)

I didn't expect this to be reviewed, though. Too bad this won't generate a ****storm the size of Honey & Clover proportions.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
After I finish getting the other sets up to D&P I may be willing to give it a chance. I want to enjoy Ashy goodness but as i've said countless times, the new dub still pisses me off.

It's like: PUSA I want to throw money at you but I cannot. Yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
I actually still love Pokemon, have been keeping up with it (after dropping it during Johto years ago), and am an adult....

I'm one of the few who likes simple kids shows and doesn't mind the repetitiveness.

I would say this is a fair review. can't argue with PUSA music. That first DP opening was a real stinker, and thier bg music is no better... Though the new opening for most current episodes is a step up. I also think it's the only eng. OP sung by a woman... The more you know!

Quote:
Showsni wrote:
I stopped watching Pokémon around when it switched from CITV to Sky One, kind of early in Johto. Is it worth trying to catch up?

I would say sure it is, but it's all really opinion. I say only watch the more decent Johto episodes and skip to the end of that (Johto is way to long) then go check out Hoenn and DP and see if it's your cup of tea. You can always go back and watch more if you like it skip if you don't. Pokemon isn't a show where you have to watch every episode if you don't want to. It's always full of hit or miss.

Pokemon series are all the same dish. You can switch the way you put in the ingrediants, or use a different brand of the same ingrediants, but in the end all you are going to get is the same dish with a slightly different flavor. Of course one flavor could be better then the other.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
carl wrote:
.... imagine yourself as a hamster running inside a wheel as it flashes images of spunky kids meeting, fighting and making friends with people and pokémon...over, and over, and over again...for six hours. If you're a young and naive hamster, and every nook and cranny of that ever-spinning wheel is a new and wondrous territory to explore, then those six hours will be a bliss of entertainment.
Add " with a memory like a guppy".
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just because I'm an adult now, but once they started repeating the same plot over and over again, I was out of the Pokemon anime. As a commercial for the games, it remains semi-consistant, but it lacks any consistant characterization. In one episode Satoshi/Ash can be incredibly competent as a trainer but in another he's suddenly clueless at something that he mastered seasons previous. The only considerations the writers give to the series are in the tournament arcs, where at least the depictions of the battles are exciting at times.

Also, not much of a Hikaru/Dawn fan. Nostaglia goggles, I guess, but I always preferred Kasumi/Dawn. Something about Pokemon Coordinators makes me angry. Maybe it's because that is such a waste of time in the games when you can leveling up your team's fighting stats instead. It's even more boring to watch those little beauty pagents animated.

At least Ash has a proper rival in this season.

Don't take this as a sign that I'm following the show with any great effort. I just peek at it now and then to see what's going on, much like old comic books I don't read much anymore. At the core, it's the same now as it ever was, but at least the animation has improved. Too bad the only thing 4Kids ever did right- the casting of the original Pokemon dub- is forfeit now that the Pokemon Company has it. Veronica Taylor, I miss you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
I watched Diamond & Pearl in the mornings for a while (Something to do when I was just getting out of bed and needed something on TV to watch) and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Unlike the same old tired formula they've used since Johto where Ash meets new person and pokemon, Ash learns about said pokemon, Ash helps person, Ash stops Team Rocket, D&P throws Dawn into the mix, so now Ash and/or Dawn helps person and etc. My point here being that the show spends a lot more time focusing on Dawn than the previous series ever did with Misty or May. Which after 10 years of the same thing, is quite refreshing even for such a small change.

I'm pretty sick of Team Rocket, though. It's like I'd miss them if they were gone but on the other hand, they do nothing new. Most of their plots are the creators going back to early seasons of Pokemon and saying, "What can we reuse that these kids won't remember?" Which is fine if you're 10 and Pokemon is a new thing to you, but when you've grown up with it...

Also, to those complaining about PKMNUSA's background music, I hate to tell you, but they use the same BGM as the original Japanese version. Really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
Is it the Dawn of the Miniskirt? Laughing
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:

Yeah I only ever watched it on SMTV live good times...............well not really!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, people may shake their fingers at me on this one, but I think Kanto was actually watchable. The 4Kids dub and theme songs were present (yes, they're horrid, but the show was stupid, too, they were made for each other) and the recycled plots actually spotlighted the other characters besides Ash.

It was always formulaic, but never as BADLY as it is now. They didn't always "meet some new friend and solve their problem" in the old Kanto series. There were odd episodes like the one where James had to get married to a dominatrix named Jezebel. There was one where Brock and James fell so much in love with a woman (a ghost!) that their respective friends had to team up together to "unpossess" them. That was cute.

And we had the Squirtle Squad. Gangster turtles = more awesome than ninja turtles. Or the one where the whole gang gets trapped on an amusement park island with ENORMOUS Pokemon. (They were all animatronic, but they never figure that out. Team Rocket tries to booby-trap a Pikachu the size of the Chrysler building and falls in their own trap.)

The show was just...just...just a lot more FUN when it started, I think. It hasn't always been the same, so no, I still kind of like Pokemon, but only the first season. It's around the Orange Islands when the formula starts to settle in and never leaves the series. I can't imagine why people would keep up with it after that.

It is true, though, that Team Rocket never stopped being pretty funny, in a hokey kind of way. If I recall, there's actually an episode in Hoenn where James' long-kept (for reasons unknown to those with common sense) man-eating Victreebel finally calms down and finds love...with a woman-eating Victreebel. They both attack Jessie and James and after their meal is interrupted, flap into the sunset. Awwww. Laughing
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Also, to those complaining about PKMNUSA's background music, I hate to tell you, but they use the same BGM as the original Japanese version. Really.

If you're referring to Battle Dimension, then you're right. 4Kids just added thier own during silent parts. But during Jotho League Champions, they started replacing music altogether, leaving pieces of the original intact every now and then. The same goes for the Advance seasons. Battle Frontier and the first 51 episodes of D&P followed the 4Kids trend and 4Kids' music, until BD began to retain the original soundtrack in its entirety.

Side Note: The Japanese version of the Advance seasons used different music for the epsiode title card, but 4Kids continued to use the same piece form the Kanto/Jotho episodes. When Pokemon USA took over, they began to use the title card music for Hoenn.
archer9234

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
No. Pokemon DP and BD remove 95% of the original JPN music and replace it with old 4kids music and a few new pieces. Only game battle music, team rocket motto, and some music they want to keep randomly, is retained.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2