• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
In the July 2008 issue of Japan's Newtype, the article mentions an Early 2009 release for the new season of Haruhi. It's going to be done with new character designs as well. Furthermore, they (KyoAni) is actually going to essentially remake the first season with these new character designs as part of the "second season" and it will be called "The prologue of Haruhi Suzumiya". The actual second season will air after the "prologue" and will follow the plotline of the fourth book - the "disappearance..."

By the way, for anyone living in Canada, keep an eye out for a commercial advertising those Tylenol rapid-release pills. At one point in the commercial, theres a girl jumping on her bed with a massive poster of Haruhi up on the wall beside her. The last poster's comment about Haruhi in Gaza just reminded me of it. Haruhi is taking over the world.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
lllwtflll wrote:
In the July 2008 issue of Japan's Newtype, the article mentions an Early 2009 release for the new season of Haruhi. It's going to be done with new character designs as well. Furthermore, they (KyoAni) is actually going to essentially remake the first season with these new character designs as part of the "second season" and it will be called "The prologue of Haruhi Suzumiya". The actual second season will air after the "prologue" and will follow the plotline of the fourth book - the "disappearance..."

Remaking the first season with new character designs seems unnecessary and inefficient. I hope that if there's any truth to this prologue talk, it's that the prologue is a one episode recap.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
They simply wouldnt get away with it. It is as you say, probably a one episode recap at worst. The events of dissaperence in the light novel were set spoiler[during christmas] if i remember rightly. Is there any chance that we could be looking at a christmas release? I know its a rather crude way of looking at it but what are the chances?
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it'll be just one episode, but the fact that they're calling it a prologue suggests - to me at least - that it probably wouldn't take up any more than 6 episodes max. Besides the fact they're calling it a prologue, the other reason I have for thinking this is that in that Newtype article, it was said that there would be some additional footage that was never shown in the original series.

I know it sounds totally tedious, and I myself don't really agree with it, but on the other hand it does make some sense. It makes me think that KyoAni must have plans to go for a couple more seasons with this series. Book 7 could definitely make another season, and books 9 and 10 could make up another season as well. Perhaps they wanted to remake the first series only in order to have that element of continuity with the character designs throughout the series. Thats my guess anyway.

I can't be sure, but I think the way the article put it is that the prologue is set to be released around christmas this year, with the actual second season - the disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - set for an early '09 release. There wouldn't be any sort of break in between the two, they would essentially just make up one large 24-26 episode season.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Your right it does sound slightly tedious but if it's haruhi and it's got new scenes in it then I'm sure I can survive. Very Happy

The only thing is, it might come across as a slight anti-climax to Haruhi fans if it spans too many of the first few episodes.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
It's gonna have to have Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody if they're doing Disappearance afterwards, right?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
lllwtflll wrote:

Remaking the first season with new character designs seems unnecessary and inefficient. I hope that if there's any truth to this prologue talk, it's that the prologue is a one episode recap.

Given the time that's passed and the fact that they would want to make it accessible to new viewers, I can see why they would want to make a recap. I figure they would focus on the Melancholy story and perhaps the festival unless they just want to include that in the later stories that also deal with it. It may be more than one episode, but I figure it will likely not be more than half a cour at most. But one episode would be easiest to tack on at the beginning of the season.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible that the prologue could deal with the filming of The Adventure of Mikuru Asahina? That would kind of make sense.
PupofDoom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
They could pretty well sum up the whole first season in a few minutes. To be honest, other then the nature of the club, revealing the characters' secret identities, and what she's capable of, what else would a new viewer need to know? one or two episodes in, they'd get the idea of what was going on.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Ahh well aslong as the 10th light novel follows soon after i dont really mind. I do think they have enough material to get through with dissaperence, bamboo leaf rapsody and possibly other chapters from the light novel without spending too much time on a prologue. It will need a prologue of some sort to accomendate new comers to haruhi as has already been said, so i understand the need for it though.

It has been mentioned that they may stray into 'the dissociation' territory. Is this feasable ? It's that or another series which is more than likely. Now they have started they have to finish after all.
Quote:

Is it possible that the prologue could deal with the filming of The Adventure of Mikuru Asahina? That would kind of make sense.

That a good point. I do want to see the scene where spoiler[Kyon nearly hit's haruhi]; It was quite an intense scene in the light novel. There's plenty of comedic potential in the scene where they spoiler[spike Mickiru's orange juice as well].
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I don't think so. My understanding is that the preparation for the school festival was quite involved and would make for an entire story arc. So I can't see them dealing with the film in the prologue.
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I can say quite confidently that the prologue won't just be a 1 or 2 episode deal; that is why they are actually calling this season a "new animation". My guess is it will last at least six episodes.

Regardless, one story I definitely hope they include in the actual second season (not the prologue) is snow mountain syndrome! Loved that one!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'll cave in with the fans and actually make The Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya! That will be one way of "recapping" the first season. Laughing
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It'd be pretty cool if they started airing the anime on December 18th of this year (Novel Reference)! That would be perfect considering the story!

Can't wait for the December issue of Newtype Japan just to see the new character designs. Not to mention they'll likely have a definite release date by then.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It'd be pretty cool if they started airing the anime on December 18th of this year (Novel Reference)! That would be perfect considering the story!

Can't wait for the December issue of Newtype Japan just to see the new character designs. Not to mention they'll likely have a definite release date by then.

I dont understand what is meant by new character designs. Is this to do with new characters, animation or something else?

I also think the december release date will be based on the novel and the events portrayed in there. It would be fitting after all. Thats why I asked about a christmas release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 148 of 213