• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 09-03-08

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batman3777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure which I love more... the giant teardrop on Nina's head, or the starry eyes and HUUGE grin on her face as she freezes up.

All to be lugged away by the staff. Very Happy Always the case...
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Part of me is laughing, but another rather substantial part of me is sort of sad inside because that's almost exactly how I'd react if I ever found myself standing in front of Paku Romi. Sigh.

Love the name of the convention, though Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I said "DAAAHH" to Satoshi Kon. I know exactly how Nina feels. I also chicken out a bit when meeting my favorite webcomic artists and podcasters. I'm a whimp! Crying or Very sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I was almost like that in front of Yoko Kanno back at the BAAF in 2002. I have a feeling she got a lot of that on that day, too, along with Shinichiro Watanabe and Toshihiro Kawamoto. Okay, so now I'm just rubbing in that I have their autographs on a Cowboy Bebop poster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I did this exact same thing! (Except mine should've been A LOT easier to say Anime cry)
When I heard Toshihiko Seki was going to be at Anime Expo, I planned to say something like "Kantoku (Manager)-sama!", because in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, his character, Irie-sensei, is referred to as "kantoku-san", or manager.

When I finally got up there, it pretty much took all I had to drop the DVD case and insert on the table and wait for an autograph, especially because I had assumed that I wouldn't even get one (The Anime Expo 2007 pessimism had caught up with me a while back =D).

You can say "Well, this wouldn't happen to me!" all you want, but when your idol/favorite seiyuu/etc sits right there in front of you, you pretty much lose all coherent thought and it takes all you can muster to smile and not look like you're going to faint o_o;;
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, are most fangirls like that? I just hope Nina doesn't resort to stalking the poor guy.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
I had gotten Solid State Society special edition at AX07 and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn signned and it and I was glad I managed to get out "You ARE the Major! You make her who she is!" and she signed my DVD case and put "the Major" in quotes beneath her name... it was so wonderful!

I remember that more clearly than getting my high school diploma and walking across stage.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
I remember meeting Akebono and getting his autograph, but that was over ten years ago. That's when I wasn't nervous aboud much. So, I can see why she would be so nervous about stuff. I usually get all nervous when I step up to ask Zac or Chris a question at the ANN panels at Anime Expo.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
Happens to me quite a lot even speaking in English. Hell, sometimes I end up forgetting getting some of my stuff signed. Owch don't ya think? I need to bring friends with me so they can make me remember what I need to do. Whaa~.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one that turns into a monosyllabic dope in autograph lines. I get so frustrated afterwords that I freeze up so badly. I feel like such a typical dumb fanboy. Also, ha, I remember meeting the Bebop crew at BAAF in 2002 too. Plus meeting the Pillows was a pretty tongue staggering experience. On the American side Bruce Campbell and a number of US comic artists were staggering moments too.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Honestly, are most fangirls like that?

I think it happens for both genders. I remember getting nervous the first time I stood in line to get an autograph, but for me it was more like stage fright - all these people lined up behind me, staring intently at the guest and I just knew I'd say something stupid.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
She should've hit him. That way he'd remember her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheeta_Sumeragi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
I know the feeling! Rolling Eyes When I met Makoto Shinkai, my voice suddenly became very high pitched and my face went bright red. I managed to keep myself together enough to have a short conversation with him though!

My mum, however, gave him a long speech about how he shouldn't listen to the weird interviewer from earlier (who asked him why he didn't make his films 'more accessable to a western audience') and should make whatever he liked. Obviously she didn't have the same problem as me Wink (And Shinkai looked really pleased afterwards!)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote
Tis one of the many reasons I don't go to conventions. These people aren't gods, their just like you and me, just trying to earn a living, but these guys accept the built in handycap of trying to please everyone. Try this next time. Think about his grandfather trying to kill your grandfather, and maybe succeeding 65 years ago. That will usually bring you back down to Earth. Wink
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
Funny!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3