• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubbing has started for Monster.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Well i for one am happy about this, but woudln't it take them a rather long time to dub Monster? I mean... dubbing for other shows can sometimes be quite the lenghty procedure and Monster happens to be pretty long. I'm all for it though, i just hope i'm still alive when they finish and acutally come out with a Box set for it.

-Elfen12-
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Sci-Fi would hack it to pieces with commercials and running length.

Hopefully Skiffy wouldn't air it at all, as it's not science fiction or fantasy.

There should definitely be a better home for Monster. And really, Adult Swim is currently airing anime so late at night, it may as well be there as anywhere else.

It probably won't air anywhere here in Canada, so ... guess I'll watch it on DVD.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Hopefully Skiffy wouldn't air it at all, as it's not science fiction or fantasy.

Well, technically I wouldn't call Street Fighter s/f or fantasy either, but I guess if you stretch... Cool But since it's Viz, I think it's safe from Sci-Fi anyway.

Thinking about it some more, I think Henry Dittman would be great as Johann. I love his voice as Kabuto in Naruto, and I think it's both mellow enough and scary enough to work. He hasn't done a lot of VA work in anime, but from what I've heard, I think he could handle it. Ah well, it's not up to me. Wink
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY I've been wondering what's taking so long for such a well-known show. I decided a long time ago that I would wait to rewatch Monster with the dubs so I'm very excited for this. And if any anime aimed at adults could become mainstream here in the U.S., this might be it. I have some friends who are just not into anime, but I've made them watch Monster and it was a huge hit with them. It probably won't happen but since we're getting a live-action film somewhere in '09 in the U.S. based on the show, who knows...?

anyway, SWEET
Twisted Evil
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
According to Tara's site, she's playing Eva Heinemann. Granted, her site only says "Eva," but who else could it be? I must say, she's a good choice for the role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
And now it's been confirmed that Salami Studios is producing the dub.

company#5073

The only dub I've heard of theirs is the Prince of Tennis dub, and I wasn't impressed. Though, I didn't really like the Prince of Tennis overall.

Last edited by braves on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but they know that Monster's dub needs to be superior, and judging by the tiny list of credits they'll be looking to make a good impression.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, they've done a pretty good job with Buso Renkin so far... Neutral
braves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, they've done a pretty good job with Buso Renkin so far... Neutral

I haven't seen Buso Renkin, but yeah, from what I've heard, it's a pretty good dub. So there's hope yet. Wink

But what should be the bigger issue is if Viz will actually release the entire series and not drop it mid-way. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, the best release method for this series (since it's pretty long) is to release it the same way they're releasing Buso Renkin: skipping the singles and just releasing season sets. Better for the consumer since it's cheaper for us, and better for VIZ since more people would be more interested in picking a lengthy series up in reasonably sized chunks rather than 4-5 episode single disc releases and it would probabally sell better.

As for Buso Renkin I'd recomend it if you're ever looking for a fun and short little shounen action show. It was one of the better series I watched last year and was suprising more deep and complex than first impressions sugested.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, the best release method for this series (since it's pretty long) is to release it the same way they're releasing Buso Renkin: skipping the singles and just releasing season sets.

Yes, they did that for the Prince of Tennis and they still dropped it, even though POT had a TV deal. Though, I'm not going to say POT is on the same level as Monster, but it's still just as niche as POT.

But there's also the fact that a lot of people didn't buy the DVDs for POT because they didn't include the JP openings and endings in the actual episodes, so that's another factor.

Quote:

As for Buso Renkin I'd recomend it if you're ever looking for a fun and short little shounen action show. It was one of the better series I watched last year and was suprising more deep and complex than first impressions sugested.

Yeah, I have that on my "To watch" list, along with another hundred titles, 'cause a few friends of mine are fans of it. Though, hearing some praise for it does make me place it higher on the list. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3