• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hajime no Ippo Reportedly to Return to TV in January

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
ok guys, i can confirm with concrete proof

http://imepita.jp/20080914/517260

if you can read japanese, then yes, season 2 starts in January 2009!!!

here's what i gotta say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiapRKY9rpY
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That's the best anime news I've heard all year. Should be cool to see the rest of that seemingly immortal manga get animated. I haven't read any of it because of the time it would take to cover all 800+ chapters or however many it is, but I'm damn excited now to know that they'll at least make more of the anime.

Hopefully it'll still be Madhouse and all the same production crew working on it. After all the negative feedback on the 2nd Gunslinger Girl, I hate seeing continuities change so drastically now. Man, I really want them to get Imahori Tsueno doing the soundtrack and Shocking Lemons doing the openings again.

2009 is going to ROCK!

Only shounen TV series I feel deserve a Masterpiece rating:

#1 - Rurouni Kenshin
#2 - Hajime no Ippo
#3 - Hunter X Hunter

Yes, in that order.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow! I just watched this series, and it is currently ranked at #1 of my top 10. I liked it that much. It may fall down a couple notches after I recover from the awesomeness, but it'll definitely remain in my top 10 somewhere.

I hope someone will pick it up here, but I'm not sure since I don't think it did particularly well at Geneon. Sad

I'm really excited. Thanks for sharing!
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Other rumors I've heard so far is that it's confirmed for 90 episodes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow... Shocked

While the scan seems to look legitimate, I'll wait for Moonphase to confirm it.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
well, it was published in shounen magazine where the manga is published
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Wow. That's the best anime news I've heard all year.

He, yeah, if this is real than I'm pretty damned pumped too. I remember not really wanting to give the first series a try until someone wrote a really strong recommendation for it Very Happy . Now I'm a big big Ippo fan.
Quote:
Should be cool to see the rest of that seemingly immortal manga get animated. I haven't read any of it because of the time it would take to cover all 800+ chapters or however many it is, but I'm damn excited now to know that they'll at least make more of the anime.

I don't know how far they'll get into the manga but hopefully this show will run for at least 2 years because, believe it or not, and it is not a strong hint or feeling, but this manga looks like it might head towards a conclusion within the next 2 or 3 years; it's currently at chapter 822 and there are some major things happening right now which, if it goes as I'm predicting, will put Ippo within eyesight of something major while at the same time getting a small sort of sideways bit of closure to a long long loooong running subpot.

However it will be interesting to see how fans of the series who have never read the manga react to some of the new supporting characters; I don't think many people like Itagaki Manabu and his family very much and I don't like some of the additional comic relief characters like the Aoki-gumi.

I hope this is real and that this is good. I was really excited over the second Gunslinger Girl and that was a disappointment but I can't help but be excited about more Ippo. I like Hunter X Hunter too but if I heard they were going to animate any more of that manga my reaction would be something like, "Eww. Really? Why?" That series already animated everything worthwhile from the manga. However the Ippo manga definitely has more good stuff to offer.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Aoki-gumi.

Woah, woah. Aoki-GUMI!? As in, a group? Groupies? Aoki is damn hilarious as it is, but are you saying there are more people like him? Are they wannabes or something? Damn. I also wanna' see a rematch between Ippo and Miyata. Damn, DAMN! I'm getting anxious now.

Maybe I'll have to look into the manga as much as possible before January...
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
undeadben wrote:
Aoki-gumi.

Woah, woah. Aoki-GUMI!? As in, a group? Groupies? Aoki is damn hilarious as it is, but are you saying there are more people like him? Are they wannabes or something?

Groupies, wannabes, disciples, and worshipers (Edit: it's just two guys). After Aoki uses a new "technique" in a fight they join the gym to follow him. They hate natural talent, hard work, skill, and effort and they believe that Aoki is something like the perfect example of how to get by in life without any of those. They even get the same hairstyles and dress like him. They also pretty much blow off everyone else in the gym.

Quote:
Damn. I also wanna' see a rematch between Ippo and Miyata. Damn, DAMN! I'm getting anxious now.

I'm not going to say anything about Miyata. I can't think of anything to say about him that would not be a giant spoiler.

Quote:
Maybe I'll have to look into the manga as much as possible before January...

It's time consuming, to put it lightly, but I can't say it is a waste of time. I think my biggest frustration is the lack of advancement in the romantic side with Ippo and Kumi. But there are some really good fights, some of Ippo's and Takamura's bouts are especially good. I like some of Itagaki's (the new guys) fights too but I think I'm in a very small minority, most fans don't like him at all. Mashiba still makes cameos, and there is one particularly gruesome fight with him that everyone was watching. Miyata also gets some screen (panel?) time. I think this world is just a little too expanded which is why it is so long, I mean we even get a Sendo fight or two that have nothing to do with the main story, and he doesn't even live in the same town. There are times when it does drag a bit, and sometimes it looks like it just might go on forever, but there is, surprisingly, actually not a lot that isn't interesting, especially to an Ippo fan.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
........ OH YEAH!! as someone who has Ippo as my nr. 1 favorite anime, this is the best anime news i have heard in several years. If it's the same crew working on it this will be nothing short of epic awesomeness.

Can't wait too see the animated Ogre vs. Devil match. Most people following the manga will know what i'm talking about Twisted Evil
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
, I really want them to get Imahori Tsueno doing the soundtrack and Shocking Lemons doing the openings again.

While I'm not fully posistive, I think Shocking Lemon disbanded. I do know that the guitarist, Hideki Taniuchi, has been doing the music for a number of Madhouse animes such as Akagi, Kaiji, Death Note, and Otogi Zoshi.

It would be cool if Shocking Lemon could reunite for a few new Ippo openings but at the very least I'm hoping that if Madhouse is doing the new season then they can get both Tsuneo Imahori and Hideki Taniuchi to team up for the music. That combination would just be amazing.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
Geneon Entertainment released the first teleivsion series and television special under the name "Fighting Spirit"on DVD in North America.

Easily the most retarded misnomer created in North American anime history next to "Samurai X" (*chops chest*). The stupid name change, lack of any marketing whatsoever, and failure to procure a spot on the (then viable) [adult swim] anime block has let such a great series go to waste. Although, now that I think about it the dub wasn't very good either, so that might've made things worse.

But in my opinion, it's better than Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Death Note. I had some negative preconceptions at first before I saw Ippo because of the whole boxing theme. However, I was thoroughly and pleasantly surprised at how addicting the characters were, the intensity of the matches, and the overall fun atmosphere of the series.

If someone should license it (probably FUNi at this point), I hope they can pick up where Geneon failed in spreading the love and deserved notoriety of such a masterful shounen title. Keep the name Ippo, advertise it to hell, put it on your channel, make giant poster boards and panels for anime conventions. And please make a good effort for the dubbing. I don't care how much you have to mangle the original script. Just get people into it.

All of you shounen fans, go watch it now!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The Article wrote:
Geneon Entertainment released the first teleivsion series and television special under the name "Fighting Spirit"on DVD in North America.

Easily the most retarded misnomer created in North American anime history next to "Samurai X" (*chops chest*). The stupid name change, lack of any marketing whatsoever, and failure to procure a spot on the (then viable) [adult swim] anime block has let such a great series go to waste. Although, now that I think about it the dub wasn't very good either, so that might've made things worse.

Not to mention a bad dub, and Geneon deciding to actually release it all through singles. Hell, the two boxsets for the show were the last things the old Geneon released before being M.I.A.

If Geneon had done this in boxsets right away it probably would have done a little better.

Quote:
But in my opinion, it's better than Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Death Note. I had some negative preconceptions at first before I saw Ippo because of the whole boxing theme. However, I was thoroughly and pleasantly surprised at how addicting the characters were, the intensity of the matches, and the overall fun atmosphere of the series.

In all honesty I have not seen a boxing anime that I have not enjoyed yet; Hajime no Ippo, Ashita no Joe, Ring ni Kakero 1, etc. have all been enjoyable and great shows. I think something like boxing just works well in anime form.

Quote:
If someone should license it (probably FUNi at this point), I hope they can pick up where Geneon failed in spreading the love and deserved notoriety of such a masterful shounen title. Keep the name Ippo, advertise it to hell, put it on your channel, make giant poster boards and panels for anime conventions. And please make a good effort for the dubbing. I don't care how much you have to mangle the original script. Just get people into it.

All of you shounen fans, go watch it now!

I agree... Someone PLEASE take a chance at this! And license episode 76 and the Kimura vs. Mashiba special too so that we have all of the original anime as well.
recca25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
This is truly great news. Hajime no Ippo anime was so great that I just had to read the manga. I have no patience with scanlations and would rather buy the manga if it's being sold in the US. But I made an exception for Hajime no Ippo. This series easily enters into my top 5 anime.

Okay, I didn't really say anything new. I just thought I should show that I count myself as an HnI supporter in the hopes that some licensing company doing some research would notice this thread (unlikely but not implausible) and maybe consider bringing this new season of HnI anime (and maybe even the manga and OVA) here.

Inspite of geneon's failure with regards to HnI, I really think this series can be moderately successful in the U.S. For starters (as some have pointed out already), they need to release it as affordable box sets rather than singles the way geneon originally did. Given how long the original HnI anime was, people new to the series would be scared to invest time and money on it if it's released as singles. Second, more marketing than geneon seem to have done seems needed. Features in anime review websites and magazines for starters. Reviewers who have seen the greatness of the original HnI series would be more than willing to sing its praises again if given an opportunity.

Anyway my prayers are with those who hope that more HnI would be brought to the US.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Something that is probably a bit overdue. I remember watching it when it first started airing in Japan. One of the best sports manga series out there, and it didn't disappoint with the anime series as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3