• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-09-19]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billborden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Um...Ai Yori, Oh! My Goddess, Chocotto_Sister (our good Onii-san), Tokyo University Story, Mahoraba, Chobits (as a ronin trying to get into college)...they're not that hard to find, and lets face it, the HS based shows only deal with actual school work in terms of "can I copy your homework?" and cramming for tests. Walk away from Shonen Jump once in a while.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
AMV's mostly turn me to the music, and I listen to the cd before I decide if its worth it. Most of the time it is, and I find the used cds for $2 or $3.

Wasn't Chobits set in college? And Neia Under seven?

As for AS I like Venture (which happened within the past two weeks)

*cough* Chowder is one of the best shows eva! Its one of the few kids shows i can watch and actually laugh at; along with The marvelous adventures of Flapjack.

Don't know what episode of Family Guy you saw Dillon, but I think you need to watch again. Whats unnatural about a comedy staying a comedy? It's not drama, nor action so it stays a comedy....if its a comedy show i don't expect it to go anywhere else. And don't want it to.

Best moment in the anime life? Watching Luffy spoiler[go Gear 3 ]and Naurto spoiler[loosing control of himself. ][/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey, my first email ever to Answerman-- the one that asked about that "feasibility" of the Adultswim schedule-- got answered! Sweet! Smile

A few things I'd like to comment on:

1) Note how I said some of the stuff had to be watched with a half-conscious brain. Don't worry, I have nothing against the Venture Brothers-- while I don't watch it, what I've seen of it seems pretty funny (but if it's so highly recommended by Answerman...hmmmm). The only attractive original shows I've seen have been that, Robot Chicken (though that can be a bit too...much sometimes) and the occasional Family Guy.

2)The anime that was over three years old I was referring to was actually Fullmetal Alcehmist, which was moved to the 10:30 slot central standard time...But yeah, I guess that'd be more of a ratings grabber than Moribito. Who knows? Maybe after another full series run-through, FUNI will finally announce its rights to the then-hopefully-revealed 2nd FMA anime.

3)I guess what I meant by the "feasibility" of a schedule holding up was my somewhat-rhetorically-asking if....well...we'll go through another schedule change in the next few months that might put anime in a somewhat better slot...

4) Yeah, I know how ratings is what deems a show most profittable... still, it sorta stings for this to happen when all [as] seems to have done is rely upon word-of-mouth and sites such as yours truly to get word out about its anime. But then again, the anime I'm complaining about here might've had a very limited pool of potential viewrers in the first place (even something as "mainstream-otaku" as Code Geass is). Aii, the wounds of dissapointment are starting to open again...

5) One more thought: think Nielsen (?) ratings data takes into account show recordings via tivo or windows media center (the latter which I currently have?)

Whew...now to get to finishing that Frankenstein paper for AP World Lit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget "Nodame Cantabile," which continues on past college!

But yeah, especially the older I get, the more I become sick of everyone in anime being 15, even when it makes no sense whatsoever for them to be 15 (this my only complaint about Gankutsuou, for example).
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Ah the souless subway commute. I chuckled at some anime I was watching on my ipod and got screamed at by a crazy guy for it.

Even a good deal of the outside Shonen Jump titles star high school students, even if they never seem to go to class.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Hey jak kaj,

Check out something by Naoki Urasawa. Monster is almost completely out from Viz, but they'll be starting to bring out 20th Century Boys and Pluto in February. Granted, those are manga series (so maybe they don't work in the TV/Movie side of things), but the anime adaptation of Monster is also incredibly well-done (in my opinion, of course). I can't say it's better or on par with The Wire, as I've never seen the show, but if you're interested in well-written series, I think Urasawa's stuff takes the cake.

...Now I want to check out The Wire! =D
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
I know this is an anime site but I'm still a bit surprised how one sided it all was. If you wanted to compare anime to just American animation, I would definitely agree that anime had the upper hand. Even if it was solely TV anime would at least be in the ballpark. However, if we are comparing it to the entire world of American TV and movies then anime just can't compete.

Now I should preface this by saying that really, in both cases, the vast majority is utter crap. On both sides there is a ton of repetitive, idiotic, pointless, unfunny, uninteresting, poorly written, garbage (the list goes on). I don't really see the point in comparing the crappy stuff though. After all, who cares about it? It's crap. If we're going to talk about which is better, we ought to talk about the stuff that might actually be decent enough to merit watching. If you actually look at the good stuff instead of wallowing in the endless pits of crap trying to decide which is the lesser to two evils, I think American TV and movies just have so much more there. There are a lot of great anime. There are really only a couple that I could put up there along side a dozen or so of the all time greats in American TV and movies though.

P.S. Go Team Venture!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Wasn't Chobits set in college?

It's set in a school for those who are trying to get into college but failed their exams the first time round.

I think there are a decent amount of series out there with older characters, though not necessarily in college/university. NANA has an older cast, and a few of the characters are still in school (though they don't get shown that much in later volumes/episodes). I've recently been enjoying series set out in the working world, like the manga Suppli or the Hataraki Man series (though that one didn't move fast enough for my tastes).

As for Answerfans, I think if you just compare animated shows, than anime is superior. But when you look at North American television as a whole, alongside anime and Japanese live action (I'm not as familiar with the latter, but I think it should be included so as to not be unfair to anime), then they are about the same. There is a lot of crap in each, and a lot of really good stuff in each too.

Though I do agree having a finite beginning and ending does give some anime an advantage and has something I wish more North American shows would do, but that just doesn't fit with the model of television and advertising and such, probably.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Hey, my first email ever to Answerman-- the one that asked about that "feasibility" of the Adultswim schedule-- got answered! Sweet! Smile

A few things I'd like to comment on:

1) Note how I said some of the stuff had to be watched with a half-conscious brain. Don't worry, I have nothing against the Venture Brothers-- while I don't watch it, what I've seen of it seems pretty funny (but if it's so highly recommended by Answerman...hmmmm). The only attractive original shows I've seen have been that, Robot Chicken (though that can be a bit too...much sometimes) and the occasional Family Guy.

2)The anime that was over three years old I was referring to was actually Fullmetal Alcehmist, which was moved to the 10:30 slot central standard time...But yeah, I guess that'd be more of a ratings grabber than Moribito. Who knows? Maybe after another full series run-through, FUNI will finally announce its rights to the then-hopefully-revealed 2nd FMA anime.

3)I guess what I meant by the "feasibility" of a schedule holding up was my somewhat-rhetorically-asking if....well...we'll go through another schedule change in the next few months that might put anime in a somewhat better slot...

4) Yeah, I know how ratings is what deems a show most profittable... still, it sorta stings for this to happen when all [as] seems to have done is rely upon word-of-mouth and sites such as yours truly to get word out about its anime. But then again, the anime I'm complaining about here might've had a very limited pool of potential viewrers in the first place (even something as "mainstream-otaku" as Code Geass is). Aii, the wounds of dissapointment are starting to open again...

5) One more thought: think Nielsen (?) ratings data takes into account show recordings via tivo or windows media center (the latter which I currently have?)

Whew...now to get to finishing that Frankenstein paper for AP World Lit.

I'm glad that this question was taken this week, I also asked a similar question, but at least one of us got this answered.

That said, the ratings data that I've seen over the course of several weeks now runs contradictory to the idea that it's all about poor ratings for shows like Code Geass and Moribito. The past few weeks Geass or Bleach has been on top, and the Saturday ratings are pretty low to begin with. The comedy reruns at the start haven't been able to do any better than anime of late, so adding more just for ratings' sake seems not to jive with what's really going on.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
billborden wrote:
Um...Ai Yori, Oh! My Goddess, Chocotto_Sister (our good Onii-san), Tokyo University Story, Mahoraba, Chobits (as a ronin trying to get into college)...they're not that hard to find, and lets face it, the HS based shows only deal with actual school work in terms of "can I copy your homework?" and cramming for tests. Walk away from Shonen Jump once in a while.

And Paradise Kiss, and Honey & Clover.

If you count Chobits, you can count Love Hina as well.

Aren't the Marmalade Boy characters in college in the last volumes?
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
I've yet to be to an anime convention, so I guess I've missed out on the odd trend of people cosplaying as Marlo Thomas -- but it's likely that I just misunderstood something.

As for AMVs - I doubt we'll ever see an anime company make too much noise. I would think the outcry would be from people who are looking on YouTube for a favorite band's video and keep coming up with fansubbed Naruto vids loosely edited to fit the music and credits that run almost as long as the song itself.
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
My head just exploded from watching 4 and a half minutes of techno bunny cuteness.... Anime hyper

CT
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
My proudest and happiest moment as an Anime fan?

That's easy; when I finished watching the first four episodes of Code Geass. I was in a state of frenzy, and that's when I knew that Anime could truly, truly deliver another intelligent story and anti-hero protagonist. Finally, I had proof that Death Note was not just an aberration. Finally, I had hard evidence that Anime was not just "Japanese cartoons" and something to embarrassed about watching. It could actually be a gripping study of mature themes that the uninitiated don't expect from "cartoons". It could actually be as good as anything the Americans could put out.

I had suspected, I had hoped, but I never had solid proof. Until that moment.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

And Paradise Kiss

I'm pretty sure they're still in high school in ParaKiss (senior year); maybe you're thinking of Nana?

Oh and I suppose I should state that the whole "anime vs. American TV" is a stupid debate; anime vs American cartoons is a more accurate comparison, and even there it's a mixed bag. The best anime is better than the worst American shows, and the best American shows are better than the worst anime. Silly debate, really.

And I love a well-done AMV. There are a number of anime series I would not have watched (and, in some cases, purchased) if it hadn't been for seeing an awesome AMV ("Euphoria," anyone?). I don't think they hurt companies at all; they're free publicity.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why AS expects people to tune in to Moritbito or Geass when there was no effort made to tell anyone that the shows were even on the air. Neither show got any advertising, aside from brief mentions on between-show bumps. If moving the shows to 5 is what they have to do to preserve their ratings, fine, but why do they think the shows are going to magically take off if the majority of potential viewers have no idea they even exist? Seems like these shows were doomed from the start.

Of course there's no guarantee that even with a big ad blitz, the shows would have seen any success -- but they could at least TRY.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6